Light-O-Rama Forums

How Many Downloads Allowed?

James George

I have a Vista laptop and a XP desktop and purchased a 16 ch. controller and starter pkg at the Feb. sale. I already had the demo downloaded to the desktop and then downloaded v. 1.6.9 and upgraded to 2.1.6. All went well and it's working fine. I did not get the cd, just the download.

I read here on the forum that we can download to 2 computers only but reading on, found that we can download to 5 computers. My question is: How many computers can I download v. 1.6.9 to and then the upgrade? I want to load it on my laptop to work on sequences while at the lake (cause I can't take the desktop to the boat) but hesitate to since I plan to get a dedicated computer later for my shows. If I'm allowed only 2 downloads, then I must save my 2nd download for the show computer. Also I read that I need to email "Dan" for the link. I just need to know if I can download the software on all 3 of my computers?

If you are not going to connect lights to your laptop, then you only need the demo version to work on sequences.

However, the latest demo version available is 1.6.9.

When the licensing code is added to version 2, a demo version will be available, which you can use for sequencing. You will then only need to install the licensed version on your show computer.

Until then, you have to use the licensed version of 1.6.9 in order to upgrade to the current (expiring) version of 2.1.6.

There is currently no technical limitations on the number of computers on which you can install 1.6.9. The next version will have a limit. I believe you are authorized to install 1.6.9 on any computer you own, but this will be a moot point.

Thanks for your response. No lights on my laptop unless an emergency arises prior to a show!

Okay, as I understand it, my best bet would be to wait for the licensed Version 2 to become available and download the v. 2 demo to the laptop and the licensed full version to my show computer when I get it. Is that right?

As I don't have the show computer yet I can wait on that but if the v.2 doesn't come out in the next month or so, I will probably go ahead and download the current demo to the laptop as we usually spend weekends on the boat starting right about now and I will want to do some sequencing.

If I do that, will I be able to replace/upgrade the current demo with the newer v.2 demo when it comes out?

Also Bob mentioned earlier that the new demo will have some restrictions (like 2 tracks). So using demo software to program may or may not work for you.

James George wrote:

I have a Vista laptop and a XP desktop and purchased a 16 ch. controller and starter pkg at the Feb. sale. I already had the demo downloaded to the desktop and then downloaded v. 1.6.9 and upgraded to 2.1.6. All went well and it's working fine. I did not get the cd, just the download.

Thanks guys! Good responses.

As you can see, I mentioned that I purchased the software at the Feb. sale, it came with the starter package, it's on my desktop and I've been using it. I already have the license and so I should be ready for when the new S2 version is released.

What I need to know is: should I wait till the new licensed S2 is released before I download to the laptop and then later on, when I find one to buy, download it to my show computer (my 3rd computer)?

But, what I want to do is download to my laptop (2nd computer) now so I can sequence on the go. I don't want to use the demo since I have paid for the full (light-controlling) version and it's only on 1 computer right now. From what I've read here, I am allowed one more download on this current licensed software. Then when the new licensed S2 comes out, I can use #3 of 5 downloads to get the software on my show computer.

Is that right?

I'd say go ahead and install S2. Unless they change their policies in the future, all you will have to do once the licensing is ready to go is get your license key from the on line store, and put that key into the current version of S2, to prevent it from expiring around June... Each install that you put the key into will do an on line activation, and you will only be able to on line activate 5 times, as it has currently been explained. I would expect that those who run into that limit due to reinstalling a PC, or upgrading a PC should be able to get that number extended..

As long as you saved your original installer, you should be able to install on both systems now, and the third one when the licensing model is live.

Thanks -klb-!

That's what I wanted to do. I just downloaded to my laptop so I can now sequence on the go. There is an agreement that pops up and asks you to not download to more than 2 computers. I agreed so all is well. I'm not in a hurry to get a show computer yet so I can wait on the new S2 and take it from there.

And, more good news! My first but not last 16 ch. controller arrived today, a day earlier than scheduled! Glad someone was home to put it inside. Looks like I'm set to work on my mega tree anywhere I go! Whoopee!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

-klb- wrote:

I'd say go ahead and install S2. Unless they change their policies in the future, all you will have to do once the licensing is ready to go is get your license key from the on line store, and put that key into the current version of S2, to prevent it from expiring around June... Each install that you put the key into will do an on line activation, and you will only be able to on line activate 5 times, as it has currently been explained. I would expect that those who run into that limit due to reinstalling a PC, or upgrading a PC should be able to get that number extended..

As long as you saved your original installer, you should be able to install on both systems now, and the third one when the licensing model is live.

I hope their is a way to "Deautherize" all your computers, so if your old dead and no longer existent pcs don't hog good licenses. Although, that's quite a but to ask from lor, I mean only companies as large as apple can afford systems that work like that.

There is a thread on this somewhere, but basically, the only way you can have a deauthorize feature that does not result in defeating the licensing system is if you require that the software routinely have internet access to check in, and so that a copy restored from tape after the PC is deauthorized can't go on thinking it is live..

For iTunes that sort of makes sense, as you won't have DRM music to manage if you are not an iTunes music store customer..

For LOR, not so much.. There are users, including the city show I work on, where internet access is just not an option... My personal show does have internet access, but there are quite a number of places where I have sequenced that do not...