Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR board and rectification

Dr. Jones

Some further notes on this..

These particular strings have molded resistor packs in line. On the one running half wave, it was not particularly warm to the touch.. The one running full wave got quite warm to the touch...

One idea for ensuring that you don't accidentally plug the wrong side into the rectifier would be to build these as single inlet controllers, and build the rectifier into the connectors that power the second inlet from the right side inlet...

They may not be obvious, but I really expect there to be a resistor in there somewhere.. Though in different lengths, there may be much less energy to dissipate from the resistor than in these 30 LED strings..

The reason there really should be a resistor in there is that current through a string of LEDs varies exponentially with voltage, not quasi linearly as with a light bulb...

they are 100ct strands

I have torn one apart and did not find any resistor. I would expect to find a resistor on a multi color strand, as the voltages vary from color to color

Multi colored stran,

are these different colors on the same circuit? Or are there different circuits, one for each of the colors?

As I know it from working with a conversion from filimented strings to LED strings. Red, Yellow, and orange are about 2.1 volts. And Blue, Green, and any White LED are about 3 volts.

Max

BTW I agree, I would be almost certain that there has to be a current limiting resistor in there somewhere. You have cut open the plug(s) on the ends?

What colors of LED's are in the Multi string, might calculate out to a 50 light string.

Not all LED strings have resistors or diodes. I have several colored strings (35 light HW) that way, including White, Blue, and Green. The Red's had 75 LED's in one string but the intensity and operating current was too low. Removed 5 LED's from each string and the intensity and current came up from 8-9 ma to 15-20 ma, which matches the other colors current draw and intensity.

Before anyone asks, no I did not have one failure of the 50 plus strings used in 2008.

Max-Paul wrote:

Multi colored stran,

are these different colors on the same circuit? Or are there different circuits, one for each of the colors?

As I know it from working with a conversion from filimented strings to LED strings. Red, Yellow, and orange are about 2.1 volts. And Blue, Green, and any White LED are about 3 volts.

Max

BTW I agree, I would be almost certain that there has to be a current limiting resistor in there somewhere. You have cut open the plug(s) on the ends?

-klb- wrote:

Some further notes on this..

These particular strings have molded resistor packs in line. On the one running half wave, it was not particularly warm to the touch.. The one running full wave got quite warm to the touch...

Beavis voice:

FIRE....! FIRE... !
Yesssssssss!
beavis.jpg?w=129&h=170

You know what his would be good for, LED rope lights, one could bias the board to be either common positive or common negative. With a little modding, the board could be set up to supply rectified DC on all channels. This could be done severing the traces to the tranformer and then supplying AC to it while isolating it from the channel outputs.

I have a circuit that uses full wave rectification and uses SCR's to switch individual circuits running DC 120 to LED strings and it does work.