Light-O-Rama Forums

DC-MP3 Channel Capabilities

rwertz

Does anyone know what the realistic maximum number of channels is when using the DC-MP3? The documentation says that it supports 240 controllers. But, I believe on a computer controlled network people start to see timing delays when there show hits around 500 channels. Is this typical for the DC-MP3 also?

I don't use the DC-MP3, or any MP3 controller for that matter, however, I believe that all ways of controlling a show work about the same. So the same way you would control a show via a computer, would be the same way you control a show with the DC-MP3. The only reason you are limited to 240 controllers is simply because you run out of ID addresses. However, the new way around that is using multiple networks.

Thanks Greg,

I think people have noticed a delay on bigger displays (500+ channels) when sending large numbers of commands at the same time from a computer. I believe it was mainly a function of the amount of data in the command causing the delay.

I’ve never paid much attention to the DC-MP3 posts since I don’t plan on using one. But I have a non-LOR friend who is thinking about setting up a 500 channel show for someone using the DC-MP3. He was concerned there might be a noticeable delay with that setup.