Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Up Ohio 2009

jpohio

It’s been decided, May 16th will be the date for the 3rd Annual - Light Up Ohio. Scott L. has secured his office building again, and the event will be in Columbus, Ohio.

We have been working very hard to make this year’s Light Up Ohio bigger and better. You will see lots of changes, as well as some of the things that participants have come to enjoy over the past couple of years. I have talked to several people over the past few months, and I feel that the education will be second to none.
We will cover some advanced things, as well as plenty of beginner discussions. Just a few of things to be covered will be Firefly, computer control, electrical safety, a free standing mega tree, etc. More will be announced as we line up instructors. And unique to Light Up Ohio... the presentation on the "Portable Hole". Want to know what that is??? Plan on attending to find out!

As you know, vendors are a big part of our world, and many of them will be giving discounts and submitting literature for Light Up Ohio attendees. So far, there are 3 vendors that will be attending Light Up Ohio this year, and we hope to have others attend.

Valerie and her husband - Supertec Novelties, LLC - will be attending and they have graciously offered a 30% discount on rope light, curtain lights, net lights, and icicle lights to be delivered free of charge to Light Up Ohio. Also, they have several wireframes at a drastically reduced price for this event only, and can be delivered to the event. For more information on these items, please contact Val at http://www.christmas-leds.com.

Another vendor that will be at the event is Gregg Jones from http://www.Winkelbottoms.com . Gregg is offering free wireframe delivery to Light Up Ohio, and will give discounts for any custom or standard wireframes to Light Up Ohio attendees. Gregg does great work, and I’m anxious to show the custom wireframes he is delivering to me at the event. Please contact Gregg for all of your wireframe needs.

We are also pleased to announce, that Larry Goerne from GKI-Bethlehem Lighting, will also be in attendance at our mini.

It's also our pleasure to announce the support from LEDHoliday Lighting - Colonnade - Light-O-Rama - The Demented Elf - Christmas Light Show - Christmas Done Bright.

Food will be furnished, as always, and you guys are in for a treat. Gregg Jones is not only a great “framer”, he is also a great cook. Gregg will be supplying his “world famous” BBQ and Baked Beans for the event. We will also have plenty of soft drinks, water, and “fixins”.
This is just a brief description of the event, we will be talking about it a lot more in the next several weeks. All suggestions are appreciated, and I hope to see everybody at Light Up Ohio

We are currently working on the registration website and hope to have that up soon!

So, if you are interested in attending Light Up Ohio, mark your calendars for May 16th, 2009.

Stay tuned... updates will be posted as soon as they are available!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jpohio

• Bill Hoffman

• Dale

• Frank A.

We are very pleased to announce Creative Displays and Galaxia as supporting vendors for the Ohio Mini.

So stay tuned for more updates!!!

Thanks for the update

I plan on attending

The middle of the month should be good for my schedule

Thanks for your time

Frank A.:)

Thanks great Frank, glad you will be able to make it!

The Ohio Mini is really taking shape and I can't wait for it to get here!

If you, or anyone else has any questions....feel free to ask!

It's our pleasure to announce D-Light Designs LLC, as a supporting vendor for Light Up Ohio 2009.

Vendor support for the Ohio Mini is turning out better then we expected, and we couldn't be happier! This is going to be great mini!!!

As far as I know, the "Portable Hole" will be represented at Light Up Ohio 2009. This will be the only time in 6 years that I have ever seen the presentation advertised at any mini. It was demonstrated at the very first PLUS 2003, and it hasn't been seen since. I'm thinking, Walter and Jackie Monkhouse hid the secret, and they have honored me by letting the "Portable Hole" be presented exclusively at Light Up Ohio 2009. If you are wondering what this is, I will give you a hint. It is a hole for your mega tree (or actually anything you want to suspend), no matter what the height, that can be moved from place to place, and even be stored until you need it, it will literally disappear. No hole in your yard, no pesky pole, completely gone!! You will not need any ugly guy wires <<<
Bill

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone planning on attending Light Up Ohio, there will be a impromptu swap/trade at some point during the day, or even throughout the day.

So if you have some items from your display that just don't seem to fit anymore, why not bring them along and see if you can swap/trade with someone... worth a shot!

jpohio wrote:

For anyone planning on attending Light Up Ohio, there will be a impromptu swap/trade at some point during the day, or even throughout the day.

So if you have some items from your display that just don't seem to fit anymore, why not bring them along and see if you can swap/trade with someone... worth a shot!

Good idea, Jeff. This worked great last year, and it is a way to get things you want, and not have to pay the high shipping charges.

Bill

The preparations for the mini are coming along and everything is falling into place. The registration website will be up soon, and the mini is only 46 days away... I can't wait!!!

I'm so excited, the Official Light Up Ohio 2009 Registration website is online now. Big thanks go out to Andrew Stemen for his efforts in getting it up and running. The Registration site is at www.lightupohio.com, and it has some suggestions for hotel accommodations.
The education this year is second to none. Of course, you will have the opportunity to talk to many Holiday Lighting enthusiasts, and that alone is worth the price of admission, but we will have some very impressive speakers.

Roger Phillips-Etching PCB’s-It has to be talked about. The direction the economy is going today, we all need to save as much money as we can. We spend a lot of money to create our displays, but there are ways to save. Roger will teach you how to design and etch your own control boards (PCB’s), at a fraction of the cost of buying them.
Tony Furst-Electrical Safety-This is a no brainer, this subject just has to be covered and Tony is an expert at doing that. As far as I’m concerned, he is the guru of electricity, and his demonstration will help you make your display safer.
Gregg Jones-WireFrame Construction-Gregg is an up and coming force in the WireFrame industry. The quality of his construction is second to none, and he is more than willing to work with you on custom designs. That kind of dedication is getting scarce in the Lighting world.
David White-Shipping Blowmolds-David does a lot of business on Ebay, and is not limited to blowmolds. I thought it would be interesting to have him talk on the shipping in’s and out’s. Also, since shipping rates are getting outrageous, he will give us some tips on saving money.
Tony Furst-FireFly-If you are not familiar with this, you will have to see it to believe it. This technology is a thing of the future, and Tony will do a presentation at our event.
David Jones-FM Transmitters-David is an expert on FM Transmitters. A lot of displays are using these now, but people are confused on what suits them, and the differences in them. David will explain these in detail, and will help you decide what FM Transmitter is right for you.
Bill Hoffman-Portable Hole-This was too good to let drop. It was introduced at PLUS 2003, by Walter and Jackie Monkhouse. Basically it is a very simple design, but for some reason, I haven’t heard a lot about it since. It’s not for everybody, but for a lot people, it might solve some mega tree issues. It’s something you can put in your yard, hold up a mega tree, and store it until you need it next season. Simple design, but lots of possibilities.

This is just a small portion of what is going to be happening at Light Up Ohio. Keep an eye on this thread to hear more. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Bill

Light Up Ohio 2009 is only 36 days away!!!
If you're thinking about coming, the registration website is
http://www.lightupohio.com , and it's only $20 bucks!

And don't forget, we have 11 supporting vendors this year...
LEDHoliday Lighting * Suprtec Novelties * Winklebottom Wire Frames * Colonnade Lighting * The Demented Elf * GKI Bethlehem Ligthing * Christmas Light Show * Christmas Done Bright * Galaxia * Creative Displays * Light-O-Rama

Add to that, 3 of them will be in attendance at our mini, that is a first for Light Up Ohio!!!
It's going to be a great day, that you won't want to miss!

If anyone has any questions about the LUO mini... feel free to ask. It's coming up quick! Just about everything is in place and almost ready to go!

For those people that are arriving that Friday afternoon/evening before the mini, we will be getting together for a meet & greet :D

As soon as we decide on the restaurant, we'll get that posted... stay tuned!!!

Dale wrote:

Did I miss the start time of this gathering some where?

Dale

Hey Dale,

The mini is going to start at 9 AM. There is a lot of ground to cover, that's why the early start.

Just registered.

Hope location and general info will be sent in an e-mail

have a great day

thanks for your time

Frank a.:o

jpohio wrote:

Dale wrote:
Did I miss the start time of this gathering some where?

Dale

Hey Dale,

The mini is going to start at 9 AM. There is a lot of ground to cover, that's why the early start.
Thanks Jp guess I better get on the road early
:?

We will be selling hats at LightUpOhio 2009. The sale of these hats will help offset the operating costs for next year. They sell for $12 each, and if you can't attend the event, but you want one of these exclusive hats, let me know and we can work out shipping. The pic shows the front, and the back will have the date of LightUpOhio 2009. Please notify me as soon as possible if you want one, because I have to place the order by May 9th.

Bill

Attached files 174412=9975-LightUpOhio2009.JPG