Light-O-Rama Forums

Philly Area Mini - July 11, 2009

LightsByGreg

*note that both Jeff's LOR gathering and the regular Philly Mini are happening this year

This year's mini is a go! It will be held at my house again.

We are planning for a one day event so far. It will be held Saturday, July 11, 2009.

If you plan on attending the mini on July 11, please send an email message to:

PhillyAreaMini@gmail.com

Please include your name and city/state. Also if you will be bringing family/friends, please let me know how many. I will get back to you with location and other details. Also, make sure you check this email frequently, because I am not going to mess with PM updates again this year.

The format will be a little different this year, We are planning the group to stay together as a group and not spread throughout the house.

The preliminary idea is to have the morning as a compare and contrast group. Because everyone is basically using some form of Vixen, either DIY or one of the pre-built system, we will have a common thread between us, but yet we can see the benefits of choicing which hardware to use.

The afternoon will be a show us what you brought. That could range from either your new LED strings to some really cool prop you built. We can have a how-to on soldering to how to make a new spot light holder.

If anyone would like to show something during any part of the day, please drop lbro a PM at doityourselfchristmas.com/forums, or email me and I will forward to him.

I am working on some vendors to send in some prizes again this year. We will correct the confusion from last year on this one.

Thanks, we hope to see some new faces this year!!

-Greg and the rest of the Philly Mini Team

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone – we're less than a month away from the big day! This year's event is going to be smaller than last year's, but that doesn't mean it will be less exciting! I do have a couple new items to show off, but I am going to need your help as well (to make the planning go more smoothly).

Because there are less people coming this year, it is more difficult getting people to bring items. We need you to bring stuff to make this a successful mini. It can be anything, as long as it deals with Christmas. For example, you could show off your new LED strings or a cool prop you built. We had a few requests go for things people would like to see, which were:

1. Mega Tree Freestanding Base (with parts from HD or Lowes)
  2. Mega Tree
  3. Welding
  4. Soldering
  5. DIO Cards
  6. SSRs
  7. Software product demos + Sequencing Basics

If you want to show off any of these things, or have something else you want to show off, please respond to this message so we can work out a rough schedule. The show-off time will be in the afternoon, after the meet and greet and the comparison of hardware and software. Also, please let me know if there is anything else you'd like to see.

Here are the event details:
Date and Time: Saturday, July 11: 10 AM - ?

Thanks everyone, and I look forward to seeing you on the 11th!
-Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone who signed up just received another email with the address and phone details. If you still would like to come, or did not receive the email, please let me know by emailing phillyareamini@gmail.com

Thanks a lot, and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
-Greg

I wanted to say thanks to all that came to the Philly Mini! It was great seeing all these Christmas enthusiasts in the middle of July! It was nice to see some familiar faces again as well as some new ones. I hope everybody had a good time and picked up some great ideas. I know I did.

I'm sorry I couldn't get the LOR DMX setup working today. I will be posting the guide with videos soon, so everyone can pick up some tips on programming moving lights.

I also want to thank this year's sponsors, Santa's Symphonies and The Demented Elf. Check out the stickies at DIYC for special deals just for Mini attendees HERE!

Thanks to all who brought the food and desserts. Everything was delicious (!), and I think I added a few pounds after eating it all today.

I want to give a shout out to Brian for hosting the Mini forum as well as Lou, who helped with the planning. We wouldn't have been able to pull this off without you guys!

I hope to keep in touch with you all going forward. You can always contact me by PM at DIYC, PC, or LOR.

Thanks again to everyone for coming, and I hope to see you at the next Philly Mini!

-Greg