Light-O-Rama Forums

Did I tunes change its format?

JimCanfield

I was jsut browsing I tunes and purchased a song but it is not the normal mp4 like it was, it looks like a M4p, so I guess there is no more using it? I tried the mp4 to wav converter but it does not accept it.

What song were you purchasing?

In the past, I have used Tunebite (not freeware) to convert I-tunes to any usable format. I am curious to know if it still works as there was an email from Tunebite a few months ago predicting this move from Microsoft/Itunes.

Just to give everyone the 411, no, iTunes did not change it's format, however all of their songs are now DRM free. Apple struck a deal with all the major recording studies and now when you download a song on iTunes, you will be able to play it in any player that supports their format.

Now, if you have downloaded music on iTunes before, then you do not have to purchase the songs again to get rid of DRM, you just need to update your library. If you go into iTunes and start up the iTunes store, you will see that on the right hand side there is a link that says "Upgrade to iTunes Plus." This isn't a different type of player, rather it gives you the ability to not have any protected music in your player. It will go through your account and come up with the amount of songs, videos and albums you have and then give you a total for what it will cost to upgrade your entire library.

You will also notice that a lot of the prices for songs have changed in the iTunes store. New releases are now $1.29, popular songs are still $.99 and uncommon songs are $.69.

You can read more about it here...

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/01/06/itunes-going-drm-free