Light-O-Rama Forums

New song ideas for Christmas 2009

ShowProKevin

Well after typing this whole post the first time, IE crashed. GRRR. So here we go agian--quick and dirty.

I have been using TSO songs for a few years now and I have my favorites. But this year I decided I will drop my less favorite songs from my lineup. Of course, Christmas Eve and Wizards will always be classics, but I want to venture out into new genres. I have seen some techno (mostly just Jingle Bells) and some Mannheim Steamroller.

Does anyone have any new song ideas (and where to find this music) that are not the traditional TSO lightshow?

Why restrict yourself to traditional Christmas music? I will be adding some more 80's music next year. I shorten my music anyway to a half dozen 90 - 120 sec 80's songs would be good.

Well thats what Im saying... I want to do the non traditional stuff as well. I know it has been done. I am just asking for people to share artists and albums where they have heard good instrumental music that would work for LOR shows.

Been working on starting all new songs. I also have decided to eliminate all my TSO type songs, and going 100% 70's and 80's classic songs for 2009. doing ones like frosty, chipmunks, Santa coming to town, etc... Actually finding easier to program, songs are shorter, and have a easy beat and rymthem.

This will be my first year. I am going to have to do TSO Christmas cannon. Cannon is one of my favs and once I hear the Christmas Cannon I just have to do this. But one of my others will be Snoopy's Christmas. I wonder if the barking dogs doing Jingle Bells would work. I need to dig this up and see how it sounds and if I could do this to lights.

Max

Try Napster. (They're always offering some kind of deal for new members and you can probably scarf all the music you need during the trial period.) Search according to the title, Jingle Bells for instance, and you'll be amazed at how many renditions of a particular song are out there. Sure, you have to sample lots of same old, same old, but hidden amonst the ordinary are some truly unique and/or downright bizarre offerings. (Ever hear Ringo Starr do Little Drummer Boy?) I've already done a lot of the synchronizing "classics" and this year I'm looking to add songs that are a bit more edgy than traditional. My criteria is simple: "have I heard this before?" and "is this something I'd hear carolers doing?" If the answers to both questions are NO, then I'm interested and the song is definitely a candidate for sequencing.

My 2008 show was rock themed, even though I also had Christmas songs as well ... from Bing Crosby to Dokken.

You can see the song list here:
http://taybrynn.e-flatirons.com/song-list

I tried to include a wide variety of songs ... some of my personal
non-traditional favorites were: Chris Brown (Forever 45sec edit), Dokken (12 Days of Christmas, but actually Santa Clause is coming to town), Cinnamon (Kommet Ihr Hirten), Black Lab (Bulletproof) and Aldo Nova (Fantasy) ... all edited down to a more reasonable length.

I have some videos of them here:
http://taybrynn.e-flatirons.com/videos

This year we are doing a Rock and Roll theme with about 8 songs if I can get myself organized enough.

Last year was Mostly from movies:
Sinbad movie - The Big Fish
TSO - Wizards
Bells of Christmas - The Santa Clause
Alvin and the Chipmunks - Santa in the chimney
Jingle Bells Techno
Original Rudolph - requested by a 7 year old girl whoz suffering from Brain Cancer and is a very close friend of the family.

2009 Songs from these Artists
Twisted Sister, Eddie Money, Jon Bon Jovi, Status Quo, Whirling Dervishes and a few others.

However, trying to find time these days to sequence is getting harder and harder to find!!!

-Evan

Before I got into the LOR thing, I had always wanted to "animate"

"Funhouse" by Flim & the BBs (yeah I know who the heck are they?)

Find them here: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Notes-Flim-BBs/dp/B000003DCT/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235869808&sr=8-5

Its from the mid 80's and is a Jazz group that does some amazing stuff.

According to the liner notes, where you find out who played what, the caption for
Funhouse reads: "Babrber's IBM plays everything." - A match made in heaven!

The entire album is a charmer and a good test of your stereo's dynamic range as well.

Billie Barber wrote many of their tunes and had two CD's of his own. Eash has a few "LOR-worth" (with appoogies to Elaine from Sinefeld) such as :
"Sophie Walking Down Fifth Avenue" from "Lighthouse"

Sorry to be so long winded, but I really like these guys and thier music brightens my day whenever I hear it.

Moving on to another innovator there is Raymond Scott. Scott is most know for
his tune "Powerhouse" which has graced many a Warner Brother's cartoon.

This was due to Carl Staling the WB music director's vision. See an example CD below

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Raymond-Scott-Reckless-Twilights/dp/B0012GMZ2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1235870501&sr=1-1

Track #2 "Toy Trumpet" may have been already sequenced by the old hands and this
brief introduction to Scott may be old news. But check it out!

I gotta get back to work, Chrstmas is 'a 'comin' !!

Rick

I just finished a sequence for Queen's "We Will Rock You". It can out a lot better than I expected. Can't wait to see it in action.

Wizards in Winter a Christmas Classic?:shock:

You have got to be kidding!

I just go to the 200 freaking CDs I have in the rack and then go rip songs from YouTube. Actually there is so much legally free music out there that it is a buffet of good.

• 2 weeks later...

GalenInTn wrote:

I just finished a sequence for Queen's "We Will Rock You". It can out a lot better than I expected. Can't wait to see it in action.

Very Nice Idea. I may use that one to.

Last Christmas I did "Foreplay" from Boston, and this year I'll probably Sequence "Long Time" which is the tune that "Foreplay" folds into. I have Coroplast Heat Miser and Snow Miser and I'll have Snow Miser sing the vocals. It'll be cool.

I'm eliminating all TSO and Manhiem from my displays because of YouTube issues.

The showpeice of my display will be Disney's Wishes. I'll use the first three tracks from the CD.

Now if I do Wishes, Boston, We will Rock you and Mr Heatmiser... I'll have to come up with some Christmasy tunes to keep the neighbors from complaining!:shock:

smjosephrn wrote:

I'm eliminating all TSO and Manhiem from my displays because of YouTube issues.

The showpeice of my display will be Disney's Wishes. I'll use the first three tracks from the CD.

Where did you get the idea that Disney is less protective than TSO or Chip Davis? I've always been under the impression that NO ONE is more protective than Disney.

Personally, I'll gladly forsake YouTube and stick with the tunes that people who park their cars in front of the house enjoy most. (Not to mention tunes that those of us INSIDE the house like also.) Sorry Robin, but WIW was a BIG hit in Central Minnesota in 2008. Maybe in a few years people in the street will be as sick of it as you are, but until then it will definitely remain one of my showpiece numbers.

Disney has yet to yank one of my vids. You are correct though, I like crowd pleasers as much as the next guy. WIW is cool and I like it. But I also like to change things up a bit. So when I'm looking to drop something that's the one to go. Same with Manheim.

To add a bit of variety to our Christmas type music, we are currently sequencing a few pieces from Cirque du Soleil this year, including:

• Alegria (edited version from Alegria the Movie);
  • Let Love Live (edited version from Alegria the Movie); and
  • Zydeko (Quidam).

We are also adding a few user triggered sequences, including:

• I'm a Believer (Eddie Murphy from Shrek); and
  • Real Men of Genius - Mr Too Many Christmas Decorations Guy.

Cheers,

davidt, Australia

Ditto with Wizards being abig hit. A number of times while I was outside people would be on the street and Wizards would always get the extra volume on the dial as well as the wows, yeahs and clapping. Can't wait til this year with 64 channels, up from my beginning 16. Paultry numbers compared to some but I'm just getting warmed up.

Lenny