Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio file format

David Conley

OK. Here's what I'm trying to do. This is for my Halloween show. I want to create a special effects track to control my displays. lighting effects targeted on placed audio. I am using CoolEdit to create a 30 minute musical background track in Dolby Digital 5.1. I'll be placing the 5 speakers at places in the yard where I want audio to come from and use LOR to hilight those areas when the audio is active. There are also fog machines and pnumatics tied in, but that's another topic.

Question: Will LOR will accept and pass an AC3 file for a musical sequence?

I read somewhere that LOR will accept just about anything that Media Player will play. Even if I have to create a working track in MP3 format to set up all of the timing and then substitute after I'm done somehow. I guess that I put the cart before the horse a little, but I got excited about the possibility and just got to work.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are running your display using the 1602MP3 controller, my understanding is that it will only accept MP3 files. Don't know about running your controllers controlled by a computer. Suggest you contact LOR tech support.

• 2 weeks later...

I won't be using an MP3 controller. I'm processing through my Audigy card with the digital out to a Dolby Digital receiver. I did a little looking and found the formats that will work. Now I have to play with them to see which ones support multi-channel whthout folding-down I really need 5 discrete channels to achieve the right effects. Halloween has put a whole new twist on my LOR. I'll be tying sounds to lighting effects along with fog and pneumatics. It all presents a very different challenge. Perhaps 5.1 sound support would be a good update for the next generation of LOR software.

Thanks, J_Plak.

I've been to the first link before. I downloaded AC3 filter already, but I never checked out SPDIFer. Time to do a little reading. As for the second link, I'll have to jump in somewhere in the middle. I guess I cound create a blank video track to encode back with the new audio. The challenge is always half the fun.