Light-O-Rama Forums

Hardware Utility Throws an error

strgzr

I've just installed my USB Adapter (thanks for the troubleshooting guide BTW)
and started up the Hardware Utility (Ver 1.6.6).

When I right click on the Manual Select drop down menu, I get the following error:

"Runtime error 9, Subscript out of Range"

and the HW Util exits ungracefully.;)

Any ideas?

Rick

PS: Xp Sp2 on a Sager 9262 laptop.

strgzr wrote:

I've just installed my USB Adapter (thanks for the troubleshooting guide BTW)
and started up the Hardware Utility (Ver 1.6.6).

When I right click on the Manual Select drop down menu, I get the following error:

"Runtime error 9, Subscript out of Range"

and the HW Util exits ungracefully.;)

Any ideas?

Rick

PS: Xp Sp2 on a Sager 9262 laptop.
What version LOR do you have? If its Version 2.1.6 then the hardware utility should say 2.1.6 also.

It sounds like maybe the installer failed to update the hardware utility.. On my 2.1.6 install, launching hardware utility from the start menu brings up a version that specifically states 2.1.6 in the window title.

I could see where a LOR 1.x HWU might not be compatible with some of the components of LOR 2..

More data: I uninstalled LOR and reinstalled. Now everything says 2.1.6 - that's good.:)

But, the HW Util now just exits (no error msg) when attempting to set the COMM number.;)

I did successfully set it via the EDIT-Preferences menu in the Sequence Editor
( read that under another thread) and this parameter apparently gets passed to the HW util as it now reports COMM 1 as the port.

NB: it still dies when attempting to change the port though.:)

Rick

To KLB - yup the old HW Util got installed as a result of using the USB
driver CD. Which oddly would not install the drivers.;)

I did get the drivers fro m the download site so they are ok.

Thx!

Rick

How many comports does your computer have? I have found that if the computer has too many comports the hardware utility can't handle them and crashes. I have not contacted support about it yet I just disabled most of the comports. BTW if you bluetooth on that computer that also adds multiple comports.

Yes, I saw that the BT did add a lot of ports. I forced the USB Com port to #1
via its properties. I also turned off the BT ports that were not in use, but
the HW Util still crashes.:)

I did notice that the total number of ports on my system is Less Than
the highest port number shown in the Sequence Editor properties
selector. :)

Rick

First... The Hardware Utility does have a limit of comm16 (becuase it uses a Microsoft Module for communications) but the Sequence Editor and Show Player do not use that module and do not have the limitiation.

Now with that said, I did not know that the Hardware Utility would crash when it encountered a comm port greater than comm16 but it would get an error trying to open the port. Our tests show that it just gives an error (invalid port number) when the port number is higher than comm16.

I recommend that you change your comm port to 16 which is less likely to get in the way of anything. It sounds like you know how to do that.

I would uninstall the FTDI drivers using FTDI CLEAN then install the FTDI drivers again using the .exe installer for your OS. Something seems wrong with the FTDI install and/or the LOR install.

Currently I have the USB-SIO port set to COMM1 using the Port Properties under the Hardware Manager. And have the COMM Port set to COMM1 (via the Sequence Editor)
I checked and found that the COMM ports are listed as 1 through 16, but do not exceed 16.

This is correctly recognized by the HW Utility and lets me communicate with the board
successfully (I changed the Unit ID several times as a test). I have yet to run any
sequence test though.

I'll give the deinstall/reinstall a chot and get back to you.

Thanks for the help!

Rick