Light-O-Rama Forums

SCAM ?

JBullard

I received this email today. sure looks like a scam to me.

Date: Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Subject: Light-O-Rama software

Dear John,

When my family and I drove up to your fantastic Christmas display, my kids instantly loved it and I was curious on how to build my own. So I bought a 16 channel controller a month ago and when I tried downloading the lighting software, it would say that I was unable to download it. So I emailed Light-O-Rama support, and they couldn't give me a refund. Is there anyway you can email me a copy of the Lighting Software?

Many thanks,
Joe

I have no clue who this is, the email was sent through my web site. I also forwarded this email to LOR.

It sure sounds like the guy is trying to save 100 bucks on the software, he is probably trying to download one of the updates with out having a legit copy installed first.

I agree. It certainly looks as if the guy is trying to get hold of your licensed copy of the software for nothing, in an attempt to save buying there own.

Regards,

Alan.

This is definitely a scam. LOR has the best customer service support in the world. I had a problem upgrading firmware on one of my boxes. I emailed them 30 minutes later Dan was talking to me and we found the problem and he solved the issue. You can't do any better than that.

Jeff Millard wrote:

Looks like he's trying it on several people. Ryan Johnson says he got the same email.

http://synchronizedchristmaslights.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1079

Jeff

Yeah Jeff,

I saw Ryan's post. He was not as "polite" in his reply to Joe as I was.;)

Interesting, the scammer drove to/from wherever he is to both Tennessee and Texas to see our displays, he CLAIMS! Also told Ryan he bought the controller from ebay!

diffenently a scam. I got the same e-mail, but threw youtube, asking for help. my reply was simple.
if you purchased the unit from lor just shot an e-mail to support@lightorama. they will have your order, name, and e-mail on file. you can always join the forum to ask more questions. good luck.

Jeff Millard wrote:

You see controllers on eBay from time to time. . . . .

Like the one mentioned in the "Importing to the UK" thread in the "Newbies" section, where the seller appears to be reselling with 100% profit and no warranty.

Regards,

Alan.

LOR should be thrilled to know that their software is now a highly sought after product...LOL

If that isn't the ultimate gesture I don't know what is. Where would Bill Gates be today if people didn't want his software....pre-Vista.;)

I would disagree.

A scam is to deprive someone using deceit. In this case, the emailer is trying to deprive LOR of licensing fee's by claiming to have purchased a legal copy and LOR not supporting the sale (deceit).

It's certainly not grand in scale but a scam none the less.

The one thing this guy isn't counting on is that this community of enthusist is very tightly knit. If you try it on one board the news propogates everywhere.

The other thing is that this person may be gathering e-mails for a spamer!

I had him engaged in a series of emails during the day leading up to something similar, until another person that had also received the same email blasted him as a crook and referred to the fact I had also received the the same email. Referenced me by name!

At that point all emails stopped, since I was outed by one of our own. Then he knew I was playing with him! Game over!

Scammers locate e-mails then they need to know if they are legit and functional, that way they are more valuable if you respond to them.

It also goes for a lot of those spam e-mail that has a removal link at the bottom. It just confirms that there is a responding person on the other end and more spam comes at you from many directions.

He emailed me through my website, as he did several others I know that received his email.

He already had the email addresses, and from the correspondence we had going before I was outed, he wanted LOR software, not email addys.