Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Was Help

zulfie

Greetings everyone,
So, I just recently found this forum and this past year was my first time using LOR display. I want to add more to it this year and would like some help in choosing the right LED wall washer...

Attached is a picture of the side of my house, not sure how wide it is but, about 35' high. My question is what is the right LED wall washer to use without having any of that spot light effect, would like for it to be an even wash...

Thank you,
Ray

Attached files 171035=9805-P1020515.jpg

Anything you use, you will need to use a diffuser made from fluorescent light cover material... I use ADJ P64 Led Pro's and with the diffusers they give a very even light, without it's a spot..

Without Diffuser:
bluep64_nolens.jpg

Diffuser:
lens.jpg

With Diffuser:
bluep64.jpg

Awesome, thanks bhays, is this something(diffuser) that you can pick up at HD or Lowes? Also, how did you cut it...

Final question, the ADJ P64 Led Pro that you are using, is it capable of washing a 30' high wall?

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback...

Ray

Thank you Dr. Jones.... I've been reading as much as I can on DMX lighting, but it looks like the only way to see what will work is to have a few to try out, if that was possible :)

Is there any certain guide lines in how many LEDs it should have, i.e. 86, 121, 181, etc?

Also, what about beam angle?

From what I've read so far, I probably definitely need something in the 10mm area, 5mm might not be too bright, its quanity of LEDs I guess I need to be concerned about....

Thanks,

Ray

The Colorado Panels and Color Kinetics stuff are substantially more expensive than the P64 LED Pro's that I am using. I think two of them would do a great job on that wall, plus you would have the ability to do some two color effects.

The diffuser material is available at any Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's sold in panels to drop into acoustic tile ceilings where you have fluorescent lights.

bhays wrote:

The Colorado Panels and Color Kinetics stuff are substantially more expensive than the P64 LED Pro's that I am using. I think two of them would do a great job on that wall, plus you would have the ability to do some two color effects.

The diffuser material is available at any Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's sold in panels to drop into acoustic tile ceilings where you have fluorescent lights.

Do you have the P64 LED's in any type of protection from the weather? I was quickly looking but I did not see anything about being weather friendly.

jstein wrote:

bhays wrote:

Do you have the P64 LED's in any type of protection from the weather? I was quickly looking but I did not see anything about being weather friendly.

the chauvet colorado 1 is a par type fixture

though I would recommend the Altman SpectraPar 100

My weatherproof enclosures for the P64 Led Pro's are very complex and professional. I use plastic tubs that I store lights in, cut a hole out of one end, put them upside down over the fixtures and put a patio paver on top :) Works like a charm.

bhays wrote:

My weatherproof enclosures for the P64 Led Pro's are very complex and professional. I use plastic tubs that I store lights in, cut a hole out of one end, put them upside down over the fixtures and put a patio paver on top ;) Works like a charm.

Brett,

I used that same hi-tech design for my Chauvet laser in 2008.

If a would be wash light user had a fixture which generated a lot of heat, then that would be wash light user could cut holes around the top sides of the tub for venting, cover the top with a slightly larger piece of plywood, then put that magic paver on top of the plywood.

Charles

zulfie wrote:

BHays,

Any chance you can post a pic of your setup please, as any type of Can I choose will have to be weatherized...

Nothing to really post a picture of. Just a 14 gallon tub that we all use to store stuff in, cut a square hole in one end of it and place it upside down over the fixture. Works just great.

• 2 months later...

Ok so where is a good place to buy these and what will I need to control them with my LOR controllers.

Duane

Duane,

You will first need to start by getting a iDMX from LOR. To drive any DMX fixture, that is a requirement. I would wait for the upcoming Spring sale.

The Par 64 cans can be found anywhere on the internet or Ebay. As Brett pointed out, these need weatherproofing as they are not outdoor rated. These directly replace separate R-G-B-W floods, as on P64 can will produce any color you need in your display. These are DMX devices and have the color advantage as well as being pretty power friendly. I use a lot of a different model of DMX flood and house them in modified flower pots covering the opening using the drop ceiling diffuser also mentioned earlier.

• The topic was locked