Light-O-Rama Forums

What are tracks and how do we use them....

chowell

So I'm posing a question that developed from having another question answered by you folks. I see and hear about "tracks" and being that last year was my first year, I don't have a clue about them, what they are, how to use them, etc. Can you guys clue me in and is there somewhere I can go to read up on them?

Thanks much.
Corey

Tracks are or can be groups of channels or all your channels in a different order.

I have and keep a 'master track', this track contains all my channels in their sequential order that they are hooked to the controllers. The channels maintain their configuration. Like for example Controller #1 Channel #2 is "Red Mini 2". When I move "Red Mini 2" to a different order in another track it will maintain its configuration of Controller #1 Channel #2.

From there I do a "duplicate track". I will name this duplicate track for example "right/left sweep". In this track I would rearrange the display items controlled by the channels into a right to left order.

I would do the same with a top(roof)/bottom(ground closest to the road) track arraigning the display items controlled by channels in a top to bottom fashion.

Tracks can also be used to just have the timing marks different. My 'master track' could have timing marks of .05. I could do a duplicate track (name it 'tapper track') and use the same channel order but use the tapper to put timing marks into the 'tapper track'.

When you add lighting commands to "Red Mini 2" no matter what track you are in the command will be placed into the "Red Mini 2" column in every track that it is in.

Maybe this is not too confusing.:D

chowell wrote:

So I'm posing a question that developed from having another question answered by you folks. I see and hear about "tracks" and being that last year was my first year, I don't have a clue about them, what they are, how to use them, etc. Can you guys clue me in and is there somewhere I can go to read up on them?

Thanks much.
Corey

Open LOR 2 and click help the search for tracks. There is a lot of info there.

garyfunk wrote:

So, you could have a mega-tree track then add that to your sequences?

Short answer. Yes.

Lets say you had a mega tree last year and did not use any tracks. You could open one of last years sequences and then "duplicate track" name it 'mega tree' then delete all the channels that are not part of the mega tree.

OR

Open one of last years sequences and right click on one of the mega tree channels and "copy to other track" "copy to new track". Name the new track (mega tree) and select the timing you want or no timing. Then you will have to right click on every mega tree channel and "copy to other track' 'copy to track number" select the "mega tree' track from the list.

After you get all the mega tree channels into the mega tree track then 'export channel configuration'. You can then import this channel configuration into your other sequences.

btw there is no way to select multiple channels and duplicate them to a track. Nor is there a way to select a group of channels and delete them from a certain track.

Is this clear as mud?

I would always keep a master track (one that contains ALL the channels) that way you could delete some other track and would not loose your programming.

Always make back up copies before trying this. If you do not understand tracks or importing channel configurations you could end up with an undesirable result.

So what is the real advantage to using tracks? I guess I still don't quite get it. I will try and find some help in LOR 2 also but usually I understand stuff better if I hear it from you all.

Thanks in advance.
Corey

Maybe Charlie's example will help.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/forum72/16183-1.html#p149982

Or perhaps some of the other posts in the rest of the above thread will help show how people are using tracks.

I know I was not really sure what to do with them at first. Then I learned from this forum how I could use them to have different events for the same channel.

As an example, I have parts of a song where I want the mini-trees to follow the beat. At other points I want chases that are time based. By having them in two tracks, one with the beat events and a second with .10 sec timing events, I can easily do both. The effect that is added is displayed in the channel in each track.

At first it is a bit unsettling to see an effect begin and/or end in the middle of an event but you make the adjustment quickly.

Paul, I know that there are a bunch of kind people here to include you, that shares their sequences for free. Problem is, most of them don't fit my display. So, I went to this website who sells sequences based on 1 mega tree, 10 cones, and 2 leaping arches that work on 48 channels. I'm planning to leave the sequences as is. Then, I bought another 32 channels and started doing my sequences based on my display. I would dedicate the 32 channels on fade in/out, wall washing, strobes and to control my snowmaker, vertical-sprouting fog machines and strobes.

Sure, I want to learn how sequencing. What I'm trying to do here is 'reverse-engineer' finish projects to make learning easier. Anyhow, I've been going around watching videos of light shows and frankly, out of 100, I can only appreciate 2 or 3 shows.

More often than not, the light shows I watched look too extravagant, 'busy', pandemoniumic, boring, loud or too 'clumsy'... you know, leaping arches being activated for no reason, lights all turning on. I kind of laugh sometimes to see 120 channels being wasted.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Well, do you have a video to show me? You might be the 'exception'.

ok...just made new files for 09 (starting over from scratch), created the tracks and called the file "80tracks" exported and saved...all tracks have .05 timing

now i go to another file for 09 and import the "80tracks" config file and all is there BUT the .05 timing...i have to copy the timing from the main track (that was already there before the import and STAYED after the import) and paste the timing to EVERY track and do that to EVERY song

what am i doing wrong that the timing isnt going with the export/import?

johnny christmas wrote:

ok...just made new files for 09 (starting over from scratch), created the tracks and called the file "80tracks" exported and saved...all tracks have .05 timing

now i go to another file for 09 and import the "80tracks" config file and all is there BUT the .05 timing...i have to copy the timing from the main track (that was already there before the import and STAYED after the import) and paste the timing to EVERY track and do that to EVERY song

what am i doing wrong that the timing isnt going with the export/import?

No the timing does not export/import. Which might would be nice if you use all consistent timings like ..05.

If someone uses the tapper of some such the the importing of that timing would be of no use with another song.

It might be nice to have the choice of importing the timing or not.