Light-O-Rama Forums

Some questions on sequencing

LENNY RUEL

I have a couple questions with sequencing now that I'm getting in to it.
I'm working on Wizards in Winter. I'm programing for 64 channels and imported a 32
from LOR sequences because it has a dozen or so channels that I like as is and I can copy and paste to other channels.

First question is why are the cells not the same size? I know if I set a sequence to do up completely from scratch and go with the 1/10 they are all identical. Some of these though there are the shorter cells followed by a cell that is about 3 or4 times as long, then a shorter one again followed by the longer one. This repeats for a minute or so then all of a sudden I'll have a few seconds where they actually are all that same shorter size. Isn't it tough to set up leaping arches with the staggered length cells? I'm about a minute in and I see ahead the cells shorten up to a uniform length in some places. I know the beat quickens but it seems to be harder to use certain elements with the stagerred cell size as opposed to the uniform size.

Second, if I want a set of cells on a channel to come on, fade down and half way through the fade down twinkle or shimmer to finish the fade how would I do this?
Is it even possible. I think it would be a neat effect to do on a arch or mega tree. As it chases across as the next channel come on the one behind it starts to fade. As the next one comes on that first one then goes to shimmer and finish the fade as the second one starts its fade and so on.
Ideally, what I'd like to also try is to get my mega tree to chase around like this with the previous channel fading to say 50% and then going to twinkle or shimmer and holding that until the 16th channel catches up with the now shimmering 1st one. As that one fades and then goes to shimmer so the entire tree is in shimmer the curtian strobes come on for a couple seconds and then the whole tree goes out.

Third. What does toggle do?

Thanks much !!

Lenny

I sounds like the sequence you are copying from may have been created using the tapper.

Here is what I would do. Create a new sequence using your audio file and set the timing at what you want to use. I use .05 Open the sequence you are working on. Import your channel config.

Under the edit menu, make sure Paste Mode is set to paste by time.

Copy the entire sequence into the new sequence. This will give you the same sequence with constant timing.

I haven't tried the fading shimmers from the latest release yet so I can't advise on that.

The toggle. Think light switch. click once for on click again for off.

For number 2, set your fade ramp to something like 100 - 50. Draw out your fade to were you want your shimmer to start. Change your fade tool to 50 - 0. Turn on your twinkle/shimmer fade effect (they are in the toolbar, I am not in front of my sequence computer and I can't remember which buttons), then draw out your twinkle/shimmer effect. This will be hard to see in the visualizer. You might want to experiment with a controller attached.

Brain:
How do you copy an entire sequence to the one that you just set up with your Audio?
And does the changes I made so far come along with the copy?
I understand opening Audio for Wizards, set timing to 1/10, importing channel config.
but edit-paste mode on which one, the new one or the one you are transferring in?
And how does the entire sequence get there. Is it actually better or easier to have the uniform cell size? Thanks again.
Also, where would you use the toggle then or do most not use it?

Lenny

I use the toggle all the time. I use it when I am basically turning cells on. If I make a mistake, click it again and it turns off. Lunch has just be served so no time to discuss cut and paste.

ok, use toggle instead of clicking on the "off" red box to turn off a cell and then going back and hitting the on button again for the next one. Just use the on and if you made a mistake click toggle to turn it back off. That saves some more time.

Lenny,

Keep in mind that the toggle command simply reverses a cell's condition from off to on or vice-versa. It ignores all other effects. For instance, if you had a shimmer effect and then toggled the cell, it would turn off. If you toggled it again, it would turn full on rather then returning to shimmer.

If you're working with fades, twinkles, etc., you might find it easier to use the keyboard to turn off cells that you've errantly activated. The "f" key turns cells off without having to click on the toggle (or off button) and then having to go back and re-click the original effect button you had been previously using.

To copy and paste an entire sequence, select the channels you want to copy and then go to edit, select and row(s). Then copy. If you're wanting to copy all channels, then choose: edit, select, all and then copy. Go to the new sequence and place the cursor in the first cell of the range of channels you just copied and then paste. Be sure, as Brian mentioned, that the paste mode is set to paste by time rather than paste by cell. (In all probability, the newly-pasted channels won't line up with the song, so you'll then have to skew it right or left to get it to align properly with the music.)

Hope this helps...

George