Light-O-Rama Forums

Spark Generator

tyler9613

Does anyone know anything that can be controlled by LOR that can create electrical sparks or an effect that almost completely resembles it? Here's why I ask: for my Christmas Display, my opening sequence is "THX Robot". Well at one point, It sounds like something blew up. At that point in the sequence, I would like sparks to fly out of the inner-base of my mega tree, where the controllers are located. I need it to look very realistic because I want people to think that something really went wrong with somthing in the display.

Thanks,
tyler

garyfunk wrote:

Model rocket fuses make a nice flash and smoke. Iron fillings in flame make nice sparks too. Flint on a grinder would also be nice.
Any way for this to be computerized with LOR? I do have a fog machine that I use for halloween... but I don't know how well it would do in could St. Louis winters...

Tyler

tyler9613 wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
Model rocket fuses make a nice flash and smoke. Iron fillings in flame make nice sparks too. Flint on a grinder would also be nice.
Anyway for this to be computerized with LOR? I do have a fog machine that I use for halloween... but I don't know how well it would do in could St. Louis winters...

Tyler

Of course the answer is, Yes. I know of nothing off-the-shelf, but I know I could build something.

tyler9613 wrote:

Dr. Jones wrote:
flash paper?
Could that be programmed with LOR?

using a CMD- 16D you ignite a squib in flash paper - this would give you 16 shots add a bit of powder and you could get a small pop and some sparks

A word of warning - the above is dangerous and should be handled with care as it is basically pyrotechnics

I would use a large strobe or two with mirrors. If you want precise control, how about a camera flash? Something that is rated for outdoor use?

If money is not an object, get the same style flash that is used for the outdoor speed/redlight cameras. I have read accounts where people have said they were mistaken for lightening.

• 2 years later...

ok I know this is an old topic, and I'm not sure if I should reply (typical newbie response) But I just figured if anyone else browses this topic.......

I worked on some effects for Twister (Universal Studios Fla.) years ago. One of the effects was when a large tree split in half (from the twister), sparks shot out(I think also a falling sign). This was actually done with a welder, MiG I believe.....

Just my 2 cents....Don't know how realistic or safe it would be to trigger a welder in your front yard...lol. But that's how it's done in Twister....

Joe

My advice would be to avoid using anything the has flame or live sparks involved. That crosses the line into pyrotechnics as has been mentioned above, and that last thing you want is to be dealing with local code officials or a law enforcement agency during the Christmas Season.

Avoiding that potential (dealing with gov't.) would be a good thing!

You can check out www.frightprops.com they have an assortment of electric firecrackers and sparking devices. Use caution when using these items. What seemed like a fun idea can turn bad if not setup and used correctly.