Light-O-Rama Forums

My Purchases

Guest guest

Well I had planned on 96 channels of LOR, for this year but that was when I was going to be using the hobbyist kits. I had a wedding gig tonight and I am using that money to finish paying off my new Dell. I bought it 3 weeks ago and have it paid off now, yay for me lol. Anyways I mentioned to dad about how the Save10 discount works and everything and he told me that instead of us building the boards, that it would probably just turn out easier to buy the showtime boxes. I already have one LOR1602, so I am adding 4 more to give me a total of 80 channels of LOR.

Thats right folks for 2006 I will have
80 channels of LOR
50,000 Lights
and some unique display items
www.moorelights.com

• 2 months later...

will u should never buy a dell the are junk buy a custom made computer then u are the biggest geek i have ever seen :] and nice ligts and where do store your LOR

See ya

Well,

First off my name is Logan not Will lol, I am assuming that you meant well, but anywho.

Secondly why would I buy a custom made computer, If I wanted a custom built computer I would build it myself.

I had a really hard time deciphering your message itseemstohaveallrantogether. Sorry just hadto.

See
"will u should never buy a dell the are junk buy a custom made computer then u are the biggest geek i have ever seen :] and nice ligts and where do store your LOR"

If I buy a custom made computer that makes me the biggest geek you have ever seen, please elaborate?

Finally thank you for the comment on my lights, and at this point I only have 1 LOR 1602W, I have the showtime box stored in my closet along with a Pentium 3 that I use to run the display. I am not quite sure where I will be storing them this year with an additional 5 boxes.

thats how i talk on the Computer okay. LOL. just playing around with the word Geek beacuse my brother is one with Computers. hope no harm done with the word geek.

Of course their is no harm done, it takes more than that to ruffle my feathers. I was just quite confused.

I see that you joined on July 20th

Why dont you add some info to your profile so that we can know more about you. It will help us provide you with sales information and we will be able to give you better help for projects, if we know where you live.

Jeff Womack started a thread in the Dashers Diner forum as a place for new members to introduce themselves. Here is the post
http://planetchristmas.mywowbb.com/forum54/4400.html

Welcome to Planet Christmas

txstraitfan4 wrote:

just leting u know that i have 3 DR in

• Patholgy

• Anatomy

• and in theology

iam not a DUM DUM thats just how i talk on the computer

Congratulations on all your success in life. That's 3 more doctorates that I have.

However, the culture of this message board operates on something of a higher plane than some other message boards on the Internet. 90% of the users around here (be it right or wrong) are simply going to ignore messages that don't at least attempt something resembling normal grammar and punctuation.

Please understand that no one is going to doubt your level of intelligence without having ever met you. However, if you are serious about this hobby, and really want help from others, my personal, non-binding advise would be to improve on your posting techniques here on the board.

Just to clarify, in no way was I trying to insult your intelligence. Planet Christmas is simply more of a family and we tend to share bits and pieces of our personal lives with each other after a while.

If you are not comfortable with this then that is fine, we all understand. Hang around for a while and maybe you will feel more at home after you have been here for a little bit.

Once again glad you are on board, and if we can help you with anything just let us know.

okay u got me iam not that susessfull LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the real Me my name is Jeff G. i am a college student and getting a assoc degree in Small Buisness Managment and will soon to be minister. i do own a LoR a LOR160xW Light controller and about 10,000 lights or so at my house in Kingston Idaho in the north idaho i am a good person and just a funny guy with dry humor. :) i always loved christmas lights sence i was a little tyke with pampers i hope this is enough info about me.

Semper Fi Always Jeff G. or txstraitfan4.

TXstraitfan4, Welcome to the PlanetChristmas Forums! Feel free to ask any questions. We want everyone to feel at home here!

And btw does the fact that I just built a Pentium D dual-core 2.66 GHz machine with a 250 GB Hard Drive, 2 GB of RAM, 128 MB NVidia Graphics, a DVD burner, 19 inch widescreen LCD monitor, and Wireless Keyboard, Mouse, and Remote that will run Vista beta 2 (all for $801) make me a geek? LOL just messing :laughing: (wow that was a long sentence)

Logan, I also had a conversation with my dad and he also said that the showtime units were the way to go, and I agree because I don't feel like putting hobbyist kits together!

Again welcome about TXstraitfan4

Greg

txstraitfan4 wrote:

the real Me my name is Jeff G. i am a college student and getting a assoc degree in Small Buisness Managment and will soon to be minister. i do own a LoR a LOR160xW Light controller and about 10,000 lights or so at my house in Kingston Idaho

Jeff,

I will limit my post to asking you to update your profile to show your city and state. Click "My Account" above and the My Profile. You will have to select USA first the nit gives you a list of states.

Jeff

Logan,

I've owned 7 Dells over the years, and I've had nothing worse happen to them than the DVD player dying on one a couple years ago (replaced it for $10 rather than wait on tech support!).

My dad had his Dell (a 386/20) inside our house when it burned to the ground about 1991. It was sitting on a filing cabinet in the basement, fortunately about 2 feet above the waterline (the fire department filled the basement half full of water). Although the front had completely melted, as had the back, and despite the case being sealed shut from having a full CD disk holder melt over the top, I figured the memory inside (all 8 megs!) was worth the trouble to drag the computer out through the basement window.

After returning home with the blackened, burned computer, I pulled the cover off of the chassis and prepared to remove the memory. My wife asked, "will it still boot up?". I had serious doubts ("of course not -- it was in a fire"), but I tried anyway. Had to cut the melted plastic away with a steak knife so I could pull out what was left of the old cords. Plugged in a keyboard, mouse, power cord and a junk monitor (no sense in risking the *good* monitor). No sooner had I plugged in the power cord than I heard, "{whirrrrrrr...beep beep beep}"

It was alive. Monitor came to life, hard drive was running, but the BIOS had forgotten the hard drive parameters. After a brief search for the correct info (the label on the hard drive was burned black), I entered the drive info and it rebooted into DOS. My dad is still amazed that all his data was there, undamaged.

Anyway, the newer Dells aren't quite as heavy duty as that old 386/20, but they work well for me. Of course, YMMV. :) And I still have the memory and the old Orchid video card in my closet, just in case I ever need it... :)

Tom

I have never had anything bad happen to one of my DELLS, of course we have a computer business so we usually fix anything that goes wrong lol. Its not that big of a deal usually. Anywho I think they are good, only bad thing is all the crapware they install to begin with. Yes there is a program called dell decrapifier, but Id rather just do it myself.

Ditto Logan. The only thing I have ever had go wrong with a Dell, happened about 6-7 years ago. We had a hard drive go out. I called up Dell and had it in my hands first thing the next morning. I have been very impressed with there systems. I too have built my own computers but would rather get a Dell.

Dells are not good

I recomend a custom made puter that is built by you or a trusted tech, that is my op.

it is okay but brand named puters are known to mess up at times and then need to call a puter tech from the company and that takes mula

I guess that is who I am I like Custom made puters

oh well no harm

thx

txstraitfan4 wrote:

Dells are not good

I recomend a custom made puter that is built by you or a trusted tech, that is my op.

it is okay but brand named puters are known to mess up at times and then need to call a puter tech from the company and that takes mula

I guess that is who I am I like Custom made puters

oh well no harm

thx

I got Tihs losey sepll chceker I got for fere off the intneret srue don’t wrok vrey good , but a geuss you get what you pay fer and ya can stll1 undrestand wat im tring to sa. may bee ya can usz it.

I don't care what brand of computer you have. You are always going to have problems. Over 95% of problems are user related and has nothing to do with the hardware on your computer. Almost every computer related problem I fix on other peoples computer is because they have stupid spyware or something else software related.

Just my 2 cents

I built my first computer in 1988, it was an XT 8086 with a 20 meg HD (which was as big as 2 CD-ROMS) and 640K of Ram with a CGA monitor running DOS 3.0, since then I have built many 286's, 386's, 486's, and Pentium's and have used every MS operating system from DOS 3.0 and Windows 286 (which I still have on floppy) to XP. My last 2 computers and laptop have all been Dell's (the reason I bought the first Dell was the deal I got from work was to good to pass up). I have had no problems with any of them and have never had to call Tech support, Yea it is a lot of fun to put together your own machine, but for the price of a Dell you really can't go wrong. I will tell you that the first thing I do when one arrives is do a low level format and reload the software for scratch with only the software I want installed, And I have to agree with neworder, 95% of problems I have fixed for customers, the daughters or friends are user related and very seldom is it hardware related (that's why I got out of the computer business (stupid people should not own computers and can be a real pain in the butt).

Just my opinion

Bill

gremler wrote:

Just my 2 cents

I built my first computer in 1988, it was an XT 8086 with a 20 meg HD (which was as big as 2 CD-ROMS) and 640K of Ram with a CGA monitor running DOS 3.0, since then I have built many 286's, 386's, 486's, and Pentium's and have used every MS operating system from DOS 3.0 and Windows 286 (which I still have on floppy) to XP. My last 2 computers and laptop have all been Dell's (the reason I bought the first Dell was the deal I got from work was to good to pass up). I have had no problems with any of them and have never had to call Tech support, Yea it is a lot of fun to put together your own machine, but for the price of a Dell you really can't go wrong. I will tell you that the first thing I do when one arrives is do a low level format and reload the software for scratch with only the software I want installed, And I have to agree with neworder, 95% of problems I have fixed for customers, the daughters or friends are user related and very seldom is it hardware related (that's why I got out of the computer business (stupid people should not own computers and can be a real pain in the butt).

Just my opinion

Bill

I agree with Bill, and what the others have said. I have built PCs going back to the 386 days, and ending with the P2s. Sold those last November and bought 2 Dells.

As has been said quality is fine, but tech support is weak.

The prices of the Dell, and others now have become too cheap to justify my time in home brewing.

As to the components, I think most know the vast majority of the boards are assembled overseas, and are purchased by the major manufacturers anyway. So you are getting many of the same component boards from the Dells, etc. of the world, as you are buying them on your own.

You just need to know the specs of the motherboard and components you want to be sure you are getting the newer quality boards. Also I stay away from integrated audio and video on the MB, using plug ins instead, but I am somewhat picky as to both quality and performance.

Greg