Light-O-Rama Forums

Tons of LOR questions

Guest guest

I read through the wiki but I have a lot of (stupid) questions. I'll even number them for you!

1. I want to purchase the MP3 director controller (I'll be buying the showtime products), and the 64 channel package. Can the mp3 controller control the other controllers, and is there a limit to how many it can control?

2. Can the mp3 controller act as a timer and schedule? If I wanted it to turn all the lights on at 9 pm every night, can it do that without an external timer?

3. If I added an FM trasmitter to the mp3 controller, is there a delay to when the people actually hear the music and the lights themselves? Does LOR regulate this somehow?

4. If I wanted to hook an LOR controller to an outlet upstairs and hook a couple sets up to give me an idea what a sequence would look like, would this work or would electricity be a problem?

5. If I added a bunch of 30 amp breakers (2 outlets each) outside could I hook 1 LOR controller to each breaker safely?

6. How durable are the controller? We get some harsh winters and I don't want anything bad to happen to the controllers. Where should I put them for the best protection?

7. If I'm using extensions cords from the outlets to LOR, is there any type of cord I need so I don't blow anything?

8. And lastly, if I'm making a sequence for 1/10 in the LOR software, can I change a channel so I can use the tapper (for harder beats)?

1. I want to purchase the MP3 director controller (I'll be buying the showtime products), and the 64 channel package. Can the mp3 controller control the other controllers, and is there a limit to how many it can control?

The director controller plus the 64 channel package will give you 80 channels. (If I understand you correctly.) The MP3 controller will be able to control the other units.
2. Can the mp3 controller act as a timer and schedule? If I wanted it to turn all the lights on at 9 pm every night, can it do that without an external timer?

This version can not. Dan has said that a future release will have this ability.
3. If I added an FM transmitter to the mp3 controller, is there a delay to when the people actually hear the music and the lights themselves? Does LOR regulate this somehow?

No delay.

4. If I wanted to hook an LOR controller to an outlet upstairs and hook a couple sets up to give me an idea what a sequence would look like, would this work or would electricity be a problem?

Go right ahead. Unless of course, you have no electricity .. then you would have a problem.
5. If I added a bunch of 30 amp breakers (2 outlets each) outside could I hook 1 LOR controller to each breaker safely?

Most outlets are 15amp max, so using two is a good idea. 15 amps per circuit / 15 amps per side of the controller. Sounds good to me.
6. How durable are the controller? We get some harsh winters and I don't want anything bad to happen to the controllers. Where should I put them for the best protection?

Well, I'd advise that you get a good enclosure to put your controller in. If you got a controller rated (I THINK) Nema3R, you could use it outside, as it's rated for that purpose. A genuine Nema3R may not be the cheapest route, but it will work. There are other options, you just have to take time and investigate.
7. If I'm using extensions cords from the outlets to LOR, is there any type of cord I need so I don't blow anything?

If each circuit is going to be under 4 amps or so, then you really don't have much to worry about. Your standard lamp style cord will work. Sure, you can go higher with this type of cord ... but 4amps will give you plenty of room to spare.
8. And lastly, if I'm making a sequence for 1/10 in the LOR software, can I change a channel so I can use the tapper (for harder beats)?

You can't change a single channel. You can, however, run the the tapper wizard any time you want. If it were me, I would create a new channel, then apply the taps to that one new channel. (Use the on/off option in the Tapper Wizard settings.) This lets you see where you put the taps.

Thanks Don. What would you recommend as a timer for LOR? I have one from last year (3 strands of lights, oh boy!) but it can only handle 10 amps and only has 1 outlet.

Also, regarding question 6; I'm getting the showtime controllers that already have enclosures. Can those be kept outside, even during a heavy snowstorm?

I *think* that all you would have to do is find a power supply for the MP3 controller portion. I honestly haven't done research on this device, as I don't plan to do it. I would think that you could simply put the MP3 controller on a timer, and program it to turn on.

The metal enclosure that Dan sells should be weather resistant. I don't think it would be a problem to place outdoors. If you could find a place to keep it out of the weather some, it would probably be a good idea as well.

Don wrote:

I *think* that all you would have to do is find a power supply for the MP3 controller portion. I honestly haven't done research on this device, as I don't plan to do it. I would think that you could simply put the MP3 controller on a timer, and program it to turn on.

There will be a firmware ugrade for the MP3 players that we are selling today that will enable the realtime scheduler. That firmware will be avialable in time for this Christmas Season.

In the meantime, as Don mentioned the best way to do this is to plug a power brick on the MP3 player ( 12v, at least 300ma) and put the power brick on a timer.