Light-O-Rama Forums

Stripped-down iDMX

Tim Fischer

I've seen a number of posts on PC to the effect that people are having a hard time justifying an iDMX because all they want are a couple cheap DMX fixtures (that cost less than the iDMX itself...) I know I kind of fall into that category, although I'm slowly warming up to just biting the bullet and buying the thing...

But I was wondering, what if the following were sold as a product. Take the iDMX and:

- Eliminate the nice alumium case. It's pretty, but I'll need to put it in a weatherproof enclosure anyway. Maybe I could even squeeze it in with another controller.
- Eliminate the DMX IN XLR jack. I don't really understand DMX, but I'm not sure how that would be useful for most of us who just want LOR to run DMX lights.
- If it saves enough cost, eliminate the reset button and polarity switch, and replace with jumpers.
- Anything else that could possibly save money -- sell it as a kit? I know there's some SMT parts but maybe the through-hole stuff could be a kit?

Not sure how much this would save in the end. I'm assuming the case would give the biggest bang for the buck... You could use the existing circuit board and just leave the components off...

Just a thought!

-Tim

I think that is a good idea... Perhaps the iDMX-lite that is a stripped down card as you have described, I will take a look into it.

Dan

Dan,

I am using an iDMX, but am in need of another. I have placed mine in a case with a controller so, I too could use a lite version.

I have another DMX controller (an USB version) that works with other software that I DIY'd I can get you some pics and info.

Greg

Jeff Millard wrote:

Dan,

Would the "lite" version eventually be able to control a full 512 channel universe?

Jeff

I do not think so. I envision the lite version as having less capability than the iDMX1000 but hopefully it will allow people who want to control a few DMX devices a less expensive way into DMX.

I've been on the fine edge of should I or shouldn't I and a Lite version would definitely push me over, count me in. If the unit could control possibly 6 to 12 DMX devices, that would cover the LED wash fixtures that I would like to have.

Just my .02, well actually .10 the exchange rate is horrible right now.

Daryl B.

grump010 wrote:

I've been on the fine edge of should I or shouldn't I and a Lite version would definitely push me over, count me in. If the unit could control possibly 6 to 12 DMX devices, that would cover the LED wash fixtures that I would like to have.

Daryl B.

Since many wash fixtures and moving heads take 6+ channels each, you might need more channels than you think. I'd hate to see such a device artificially limited to much less than 64 channels, unless it was super-cheap. Heck if it were super cheap I'd buy two, because that would really help with cabling!

Tim Fischer wrote:

grump010 wrote:

Daryl B.

Since many wash fixtures and moving heads take 6+ channels each, you might need more channels than you think. I'd hate to see such a device artificially limited to much less than 64 channels, unless it was super-cheap. Heck if it were super cheap I'd buy two, because that would really help with cabling!

Excellent point Tim, My comment was to control 6 to 12 DMX devices, not have 6 to 12 channels. I don't have a great knowledge of the DMX fixtures yet and thats why I stated devices not channels. Thanks for the clarification though, I didn't realize that a wash fixture would take more than 3 channels. I guess with the possibility of a Lite DMX controller, I should start researching DMX possibilities and get better informed.

Cheers

Daryl B.

The lite version (which is just a thought at this point!) would have 256 channels. It may be limited to 32 intelligent channels but for the moving heads etc you to not need very many intelligent channels.

Dan

LightORamaDan wrote:

The lite version (which is just a thought at this point!) would have 256 channels. It may be limited to 32 intelligent channels but for the moving heads etc you to not need very many intelligent channels.

Dan

Being new to this and never having worked with DMX, I'd by one to start with.

I want to be first in line to buy the fountain controller. Do you have any more details you are willing to share on this, Dan?

grump010I didn't realize that a wash fixture would take more than 3 channels.

Most of the ones I've been researching have at least 4, some have had 6. Frankly I think it's a waste of channels-- as you noted most of us only want/need three (one per color). The others do things like strobe rate, built-in programs, etc... Since I prefer to program everything myself (even strobes) those aren't useful to me. And there's no way to turn them off, from what I can tell, so you can have other things on them...

-Tim

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Dan, question on the intelligent channels:

If 3 channels are doing the exact same fade (e.g. 0-100% over 2 seconds) does that use up one intelligent channel or three?

Thanks,
-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

If 3 channels are doing the exact same fade (e.g. 0-100% over 2 seconds) does that use up one intelligent channel or three?

Thanks,
-Tim

That is 3 channels. Once the 2 seconds are finished and the channels are at 100% then they are no longer considered intelligent.

Tim Fischer wrote:

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Thanks,
-Tim
Tim,

In the example you give, the iDMX would use 3 intelligent channels.

Charles

LightORamaDan wrote:

Dan

Definitely sounds like something I would like to add to my arsenal. :(

• 3 weeks later...

grump010 wrote:

Tim Fischer wrote:

Excellent point Tim, My comment was to control 6 to 12 DMX devices, not have 6 to 12 channels. I don't have a great knowledge of the DMX fixtures yet and thats why I stated devices not channels. Thanks for the clarification though, I didn't realize that a wash fixture would take more than 3 channels. I guess with the possibility of a Lite DMX controller, I should start researching DMX possibilities and get better informed.

Cheers

Daryl B.

Is there a DMX info page somewhere that I can do some research? I am interested but I have found little on the set up and use of it.
I saw the page about setting up the board. It looks like you just run a new firmware to the controller and then you need the converter to go to the dmx interface. But looking at the pin map, couldn't you just make up a converter yourself, or am I missing something? It seems to me that it would work. Or is that what the "lite" is all about?
The DMX world is fascinating to me and I need to find out more info!

Don Krasley wrote:

grump010 wrote:
Tim Fischer wrote:

Cheers

Daryl B.

Is there a DMX info page somewhere that I can do some research? I am interested but I have found little on the set up and use of it.
I saw the page about setting up the board. It looks like you just run a new firmware to the controller and then you need the converter to go to the dmx interface. But looking at the pin map, couldn't you just make up a converter yourself, or am I missing something? It seems to me that it would work. Or is that what the "lite" is all about?

A different side of the equation... A simple connector adapter is all you need for some other DMX controller to use LOR boxes as dimmer packs.

The LOR software only speaks the LOR protocol, and does not natively control DMX devices. For LOR software to control DMX devices, a converter is needed to convert from the command based LOR protocol to the frame based DMX protocol. Thus the iDMX.

Don Krasley wrote:

grump010 wrote:

The iDMX1000 is realy a simple protocol translation box. A LOR network address such as E0 translates directly to a DMX address of 01. This allows that any events applied to the E0 LOR channel is sent directly to a DMX channel.

That said there is a little more enhancement for some of the LOR network channels. It allows some of the functions such as twinkle to be supported by a DMX device. Since DMX channel supports basically ON/OFF and ramp up and ramp down over a 256 step range.

I hope this helps.