Light-O-Rama Forums

How many amps are light up shapes?

wildredhead

I was wondering if anyone knew how many amps the light up shapes are? For example the ones that come in premade shapes with different color lights on them and just plug in to a regular outlet?

Like these?

home-office-xmas-lites.jpg

That's not an easy question to answer since it depends on the number and type of lights. Some wireframes may only have 50 or so lights while others have a couple hundred or more. Also, many wireframes are now coming with LEDs rather than incandescent. Guess what I am trying to say is that there are too many variables to give an accurate answer.

I assume 1/3 amp per 100ct mini string, though some energy-saving lights pull less than that. My candy canes have 20 lights each, so they're roughly 0.06 amps per cane. Your mileage will vary.

A kill-a-watt meter or equivalent is a good investment if you want to know exactly what a piece is drawing. I think I paid $25 for my basic model. Per advice I read in one of the forums, I check each load before plugging into the controller. It's cheap assurance that I won't damage something on power up.