Light-O-Rama Forums

Which program to use????

balistikb

I am looking to buy my first set or LOR controllers this year.

I saw somewhere that there is a program that you can put a picture of your house and add lights using the program.

It also works with LOR. Has anyone seen it or use it?

I forgot where I saw it and the name of it.

It looked to be more advanced than the one you can buy from LOR.

Opinions?

I have downloaded HLD and played with it a little. I could not justify the extra expense, so I did not buy it. Some say its power hungry, but I did not play with it enough to notice a slow down.

The visual in LOR S2 is lacking to say the least, but you can load a pic of your house and put lights on it. It will give you a good idea of what it will look like. So I say it is good enough for me.

I don't know of any visual software that will give you an exact representation of what it will look like in person.

There are people who use HLD and love it.

balistikb wrote:

I am looking to buy my first set or LOR controllers this year.

I saw somewhere that there is a program that you can put a picture of your house and add lights using the program.

It also works with LOR. Has anyone seen it or use it?

I forgot where I saw it and the name of it.

It looked to be more advanced than the one you can buy from LOR.

Opinions?

The visual software is built into LORs software so it is not an extra expense like HLD(Holiday Light Design) would be.

It will work with LORs software, but it will not control their hardware. So you would still need LORs software even if you had HLD

I used LOR's visualizer this year and granted, it isn't exactly like your house will look during a sequence, but it's free and really helped show how mine would look.
Try it first and then you can always buy HLD later.

I vote for keeping it simple - try LOR and if you don't like it try the HLD package, either way you buy LOR to controll your lights.

SJ

The Demo and Purchased disk LOR software do not have the capability, But the update allows you to put in a photo of your house and add the lights on for an animated view. It's a big improvement for visualizing sequences.

Curtis

I purchased HLD after seeing the demo at last years Florida Miniu and have had pretty good results. Found it was good for "fine tuning" the sequence.

The big issue I really had was getting a good enough picture of the house to load. My camera does not have a good wide angle lens so I have to stand back to get the house in the picture. This makes it difficult to size the house in the tool.

I am going to have a friend come over who has a better camera than I have.

One other issue to work through is how clear of a shot you have of the house. One position there is a tree blocking some of the view, from a different spot there is another blocked view. Because of this, I am also going to try loading the elevation drawings from my blueprints. May try a picture of the blue print, or see about scanning it.

Bottom line, I found HLD very much worth the $50.00

Lee

Personally, I wasn't overly impressed with HLD.

But with an actual photo of my display imported into LOR S2 software, I found it looked a heck of lot like the real thing overall ... and was more than good enough
in terms of a simulator for me.