Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC kit Question

Kenneth D

I was wondering how the kit components are packaged.

I am planning on purchasing several boards when they go on sale, but I don't think it will be before I leave to go overseas on an all expenses paid paid govt tour of the middle east (military deployment). I want to take at least one kit with me and the interface and software so I will have something to do in my spare time.

How big its the board and parts package?

Do the kits have solder. I see two sizes mentioned and looks like one kit shows what could be solder, but the other does not.

Also, it it worth getting 20 pin IC sockets for the two larger chips? I have to order some stuff from Mouser anyway and those sockets are only 20 cents. I guess they would include them if they were that important for heat, etc. Just curious.

Thanx

If you mean the flip-flops, they don't need sockets. Solder is included.

One entire unit with box and cords is send in a package that is about 4 by 8 by 14. I don't have a box to give you accurate details but that's pretty close.

Based on last spring's packaging, the outer box for the complete kit is 6x10x14. The inner box which has all the stuff to be soldered is 7x10x3. (all in inches) The completed card should easily fit back in the inner box. The assembled controller with enclosure and dongles probably won't fit back in the outer box. Yes, both sizes of solder are included, though I am really bad about just using my spool of fine solder...

The chips that come without the sockets are an extremely rare failure. The 8 pin com chip is the most likely DIP to fail. Not sure if the processor is socketed for failure risk, or the risk that they might need to swap it out if a firmware upgrade crashes.

Thanks,

I just looked at the instructions again and the parts list has the solder on it, and the chips I was concerned about were the flip flops.

I plan on taking 8 strings of 50 count lights and some spade plugs with me, so I was just wondering about the board and parts them selves if I have to have them mailed over. I don't want to end up needing something I don't have or having something I don't need.

Thanks,

KD

Kenneth D wrote:

Thanks,

I just looked at the instructions again and the parts list has the solder on it, and the chips I was concerned about were the flip flops.

I plan on taking 8 strings of 50 count lights and some spade plugs with me, so I was just wondering about the board and parts them selves if I have to have them mailed over. I don't want to end up needing something I don't have or having something I don't need.

Thanks,

KD
I am retired Army, a former 33F. If you need anything, it will be my honor to mail it to you.

Gary,

Thanks for the offer. There are so many people on this site who are always willing to help people out in one way or another.

I have a wonderful and beautiful wife who will be managing the homefront and taking care of me.

Thanx,

KD