Light-O-Rama Forums

How any channels do people usually start with?

sjmiller

I started with 48 channels, 2 16 channel and 2 eight channels in 2005.

To be honest with all the new guys you need to start with what you can afford and small the first year or two. Believe it or not your largest expense will not be the controllers.

It will be the cords.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sjmiller

• taybrynn

• JeffF

• John Hertig

Robin,

Excellent point, I started with a 6 channel pre-programmed controller for 2008 that cost about $100. Three hardware store trips later buying 40 15 foot extension cords made the cost of the controller some what trivial.

I have pretty much zeroed in on doing LOR with 32 channels for 2009. As I develop my music sequences I keep in mind the power distribution that will be needed to support the lights.

Oh, extension cord

Oh, extension cord

I need to buy, or, build more... :-)

Is buying spt-2 bulk the best way to go?

Let's say I need 8 channels at my live christmas tree, can I run 4 spt-2 wires and one 12 gauge ground wire as long as all channels are on the same controller board?

SJ

sjmiller wrote:

[trimmed]

Let's say I need 8 channels at my live christmas tree, can I run 4 spt-2 wires and one 12 gauge ground wire as long as all channels are on the same controller board?

SJ

not exactly. 'Ground' is not a factor. You can run a ground wire if you like, or leave it off it you like (safer to have it, but if what you are plugging in is not grounded, ground is not absolutely required). In any case, the ground does not have to be bigger than your biggest hot wire. What you are implying is running a 12ga 'return' wire, and yes, you can do that if you are careful to observe all polarity connections and the 8 channels are not only on the same board, but the same side of the board. In fact, this is pretty much what I do for several of my 6 element display parts. I have a 6 outlet stake to plug the elements into, and connect to the controller via 8 conductor 18 ga cable (6 hots, 1 return and 1 ground). I would have preferred bigger guage, but at .39 a foot in bulk vrs the over $1 a foot for bigger stuff, I could not pass it up. This means I'm limited to 1A per channel, since that 18ga common return in an 8 wire cable is limited to not much more than 5A. But since I generally only plug in 1 string per channel, that is not a problem. And I made up some triple outlet stakes with individual returns using the same cable (3 hots, 3 returns, 1 ground, 1 unused) for higher power stuff (5A per channel).

SP-2 is widely used in the decorating community due to its low cost and versatility, but it is not really 'approved' for that usage. It is not designed to be water resistant, UV resistant or abrasion resistant, all concerns outdoors. If you decide to use it, do everything you can to protect it from water, sun and being walked on. I'd never use it (except under the eaves where it cannot be rained on, walked on or sunned on), but that is just me; I've not heard of any of the many people who do use it having any problems (except possibly having to replace pieces every few years).

Electrical 101...

The power coming into a house consists of 3 leads, 120 volt 0 phase, 120 volt 180 phase, and neutral. neutral will be connected to a water pipe or ground stake within a few feet of the power feed.

When power is run through the house, the ground wire (green) will be tied to the nearest copper water pipe, while neutral will run back to the breaker box which should be tied to either a ground stake of the water pipe.

When you have 100 amp service to a house - you actually have 200 amp service if you used both feeds out of phase (220 volt). (LOR troubleshootng - lights from multiple controllers that are 1/2 second out of phase- use a differnt plug for one controller)

When I had a new subpanel added for the hot tub - I had new recepticles added for my welding machines. These are chrismas lght recpticles - I have power.....

SJ

• 2 weeks later...

2008 was my first year with a LOR system. I started with a 16 channel system. It took me a while to figure out all the little technical issues with getting everything to work.

The programming started out slowly for me. I was doing this all on my own. I did not have anyone in the area to help me with the initial setup and programming. I got it all going and I have learned a lot.

For 2009 I am going to add another controller making 32 channels for my system. I have a much better feel for things now and I am now working on programming for my Christmas show now. It will be much smoother and have a lot more detail now that I have a feel for the effects.

Me personally I like the effects on LED light much better and traditional lights.

sjmiller wrote:

Oh, extension cord

I need to buy, or, build more... :-)

Is buying spt-2 bulk the best way to go?

My calculations this past year based on 2008 prices for copper was that for runs of 15 ft and under it was more expensive to make cords than to buy them. Anything longer than 15 ft was definitely (and sometimes significantly) less expensive to make the cords. John H has some good info regarding the precautions you should consider. My 2008 display had 144 channels and I ran spt2 or spt3 for all but four channels and had no problems. All my outdoor receptacles are GFCI protected, and none tripped even once this past season.

First Year (2006) , 64 channels
Second Year, 144 channels
Third Year, 224 channels used (with 32 more available for spares)
Next Year depends on weather I have a job or not...
But I plan on buying 64 more channels in June.

64 was a good starting point not too overwhelming.
The jump to 144 was moving from 2 colors to 4 and was
a boatload of work with re-sequencing !

Now with the beat wizard and a few years of experience, adding channels
and sequencing new songs is not as hard.

Have Fun,

Tim

I figure between 16 channels to 48 channels is a good starting point. 16 is good just to see how it all works, easier to sequence and you can run a great show with 16 channels.

As for me....well it depends how you look at it. Last year my 1st year for a musical light show I started with 48 channels of the AL controllers......and I did all 48 channels.

This year as a LOR user I have at the moment (from trading off my AL controllers for new LOR controllers 48 channels, but I have 1 more at Canada Customs, which may be here on Friday, and another one on its way and should be at Canada customs tomorrow I would think ....so that is now 80 channels....BUT I have 1 more to buy for sure yet, and perhaps 1 more after that ....so my 1ft year in a manner of speaking....I will be running either 96 or 112 channels of LOR.

Yet this well be my 2nd year putting on a musical light show.

I think another way of answering this original question .... is to consider your own answers to a few questions:

(1) How experienced and capable are you with big Christmas light displays
and all that goes into them? And how driven and hard working are you?
So were talking about people experienced with many weekends of setup
and/or folks capable of putting in tons of hours on a project and not blinking
twice.

(2) How experienced and capable are you with learning and using software?

If you find you are experienced and/or capable with both (1) + (2) your entry point into LOR could likely be with a much higher channel count. Obviously many here have successfully started with more and done fine. But some are either already experienced with (1) or (2) and are very CAPABLE and driven.

If you find your are neither (1) or (2) ... then 16 channels is the likely starting point, or you better have a good mentor nearby that can help you.

Other questions might be:

(3) Do you know how much power you will need and do this? ... and do you have it available ? If not, are you comfortable adding that power this year and can you afford it?

(4) Do you have the $$ to do this and cab you afford to spend it? Keep in mind the controllers have pretty good resale value.

(5) Do you have the time and drive necessary to spend on sequencing (2) and then execution (1) ... and are you willing to dedicate the time, effort and money necessary? Keeping in mind your channel count to some degree will scale both into (1), (2), (3) and (4).

Just some things to think about.

Scott

This will be our first year animating, and we will be starting out using 48 channels. I am only 15 and i found out it is a lot of work starting from scratch. You have to find extension cords, vampire plugs, oh and then you have to tell your rents that extension cords and plugs will run 150 and how i can't go any lower. Oh and i have to sequence all the songs by MYSELF, and find a FM transmitter that works for use, and the money pile keeps getting bigger and bigger. And on top of that i have to go to school and do homework and stuff. OH MY I HAVE A LOT OF WORK TO DO!!! So any help is needed and appreciated!!!

taybrynn -

This was a hobby waiting for me to find.

My static display had been building for years, and being at something between 4,500 and 5,000 lights - it was kind of at a limit. I couldn't see where I could add anything to make t look better. In 2006 one of the local TV stations highlighted a house that had music synch'ed lightng - I had to go see it. I was hooked, but needed to get the better half involved. Which I did, for 2008 she dragged me down to Costco and asked if the GE Mr Christmas 6 channel light controller is what I was looking for - of course it was (LOR was already in my plans).

I was blowing fuses with the Mr Christmas controller - and had to unplug 6 light strings:X My wife is now on-board for 32 channels for 2009 (unless LOR gives some REAL big price cuts in the pre-season sale).

I have completed 3 song programming sequences as of last night, I would call this as all in - to steal poker terminology.

As you all know - the Secret Sale started this morning.

I had finished my 4th music sequence last night using my existing lights and 26 channels of LOR. So as I was sitting there looking at the sale page my dilemma was to get 32 channels and have 6 for expansion - or go for 48...

Then I had a Tim "Tool Time" Taylor moment - arrrgh arrrgh bigger is better! 48 it is!

Now the real work begins - bulk wire, extension cords, wiring harnesses, AC power runs/conduit, and additional Christmas lights....

I can't wait to "flip the switch" and watch it play!

Steve

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would do an update, yes I did end up buying 3 LOR 16 channel controllers. I updated the music sequences I had written for the planned 8, then 16, then 32 and finally 48 channels. ( I added 8 mini trees with two hundred lights each using two channels each). I have six unused channels - I have a spot for a 4 foot wreath on the front of the house - that will take care of 2009.

As we were doing our annual outdoor spring cleaning this weekend, I thought that for 2010 I could add three 8 channel arches, and upgrade the lights on my live christmas tree by adding 8 more channels (12 total - 16 ft live mega tree).

I can see adding 48 or 64 channels for 2010. I'll be the first to admit - I never thought I could use up 48 channels, now 112 doesn't seem unreasonable.

And then there is the DMX connection, I want to do fog and strobes for Halloween.

Steve

I started with 16 channels in 2008. I managed to get in on the special sale a while back and picked up a second 16 channel LOR to bring me to 32. As I have started planned for 2009 32 channels is just not enough. If I can swing it I am going to get another controller so I can go to 48 channels.

It just spins out of control. It is just not the controllers you need more lights and oh so many more power cords and AMPs to run it all. It is all so much fun and addictive.

Started with 80 and approximately 10,000 lights. Next year converted to 80% LEDs and added 32 channels for a total of 112 plus approximately 12,000. Last year didn't show due to Holiday trip with the family to Asia. This year 95% LEDs (~ 15,000) with 240 channels.

todd & dribbles,

As I was planning for 2009, I started out thinking 8 channels (an upgrade from my 6 channel GE controller) would be enough. Then it became obvious as I was programming my song sequences - I needed 16, then 24, then 32 - I bought 48. The wife is still mad:shock:

For the size of my front yard - I think I'll max out at 112 channels. I have a year or so to grow into it..

Steve

sjmiller wrote:

todd & dribbles,

As I was planning for 2009, I started out thinking 8 channels (an upgrade from my 6 channel GE controller) would be enough. Then it became obvious as I was programming my song sequences - I needed 16, then 24, then 32 - I bought 48. The wife is still mad:shock:

For the size of my front yard - I think I'll max out at 112 channels. I have a year or so to grow into it..

Steve

"The wife is still mad"

Story of my life.

My first year, 2004 I had 32 channels. In 2008 I had over 400 channels. And if my wife dosn't kill me after the june sale I will have more.

Steve Constantino

I started out thinking that 48 channels would be enough, but I quickly expanded to 80 and I will probably go up to 120 before I set up my first display. My main reason for expanding is for things like the mega tree with different colors, mini trees with 4 colors and arches. These types of set up's use up a lot of channels, but not really a lot of watts.

Guest wbottomley

Here's my 2 cents worth...

I started out very small with only 32 channels in 2005 and maybe 10K lights.

In 2006, I switched to LOR and added 128 channels, 40K lights--the previous 32 channels were not part of LOR.

2007, I was digging deeper--176 channels, 55K lights.

2008, losing my mind--320 channels, 75K lights on 1.5 acres.

2009, considered it as a second job--512 channels with 25 acres of land to work with this year. Will have near 125K lights.

Your imagination is the only thing holding you back. Don't get overwhelmed with it. It's just a hobby that you can have fun with like any other.

• 1 month later...

All good perspectives here - but I want to add another :-)

In my first year I had so much to figure out and there were so many side projects like FM transmitters, power distribution, wireless, etc. that I decided to NOT do any sequencing and simply buy some sequences from LOR. They came with both 16 and 32 channel versions. And there was my answer, 16 or 32.

As a musician I can assure you that a 3 piece band can rock and for my preferences, any and all music can easily be sequenced in 16 channels (using a band analogy, you might typically use 7 - 8 microphones on the drum kit, 3 or 4 more instruments, a couple vocals, voila.). So I used the 16-channel sequences.

BUT - when I really started working out the extension cord ($$$) and wiring plan (and I have a circular driveway) I wound up using 3 controllers. I added a few static channels. So - in my first year I had basically 16 channel sequences plus 6 static channels. I used 22 of my available 48 channels and was quite pleased.

This year I may add two more controllers to drive 2 mega trees. I may add a couple more static channels.

But the real thing I want to emphasize is that for me, 16 channels is plenty as the core of my display.