Light-O-Rama Forums

Still looking for C9 sockets for strobes

LENNY RUEL

I'm still looking for a source for the attachon C9 sockets.

I have 2000' of cord coming from CDI as well as plugs to make up my own cords.

Also have strobes coming but the only C9 socket Paul caries is for the twisted stringer wire. I know Action Electric has a bag of 100 for $8 and change but they add a $7.50 small order charge. With UPS that bag is now $25. Not a huge isssue but I'll never use 100 of them. Is that still a good price even if I'll have plenty of extras or are there other sources? Thanks.

Lenny

How many do you need? I have some I can spare from the bag I bought last year. What I do when I have a small order from action is add on a couple bags of vampire plugs, You can always use extra.

LENNY RUEL wrote:

I'm still looking for a source for the attachon C9 sockets.

I have 2000' of cord coming from CDI as well as plugs to make up my own cords.

Also have strobes coming but the only C9 socket Paul caries is for the twisted stringer wire. I know Action Electric has a bag of 100 for $8 and change but they add a $7.50 small order charge. With UPS that bag is now $25. Not a huge isssue but I'll never use 100 of them. Is that still a good price even if I'll have plenty of extras or are there other sources? Thanks.

Lenny

Al,
Thanks for the offer. A guy over on the Planet Christmas forum that lives about 20 minutes from me and actually works in town said he would gladly split 100 sockets with me. Plus the idea to add some plugs is good. I have 50 each coming from CDI this summer but with adding 48 channels that speaks for most of them.

Lenny

Also just a thought i bought two boxes of c9 lamps 35 per string from wal-mart and will be useing them for my strobes i Will more then likely cut them up for different lengths only 1.75 for 35 socketts....

I know, but that ends up being a huge amount of splicing and I run my show every night during the season, bad weather or not. To insure minimal problems if we do get wet weather in Wisconsin during the season I even tape all my plug connections to keep as much water out as possible. Snow isn't an issue ever but rain in December around here isn't fun with frost in the ground. The water puddles under the snow and you end up with submerged plugs. Plus I run a lot through my gutters and chance the same thing. While the strobes won't be in that situation it's still work splicing and doing it right and still maybe having water seep into your heat shrink.
But thanks. I actually have another local guy who is expanding splitting the 100 with me so it ends up being about $12 for 50 of them. I found out that is pretty cheap.
I'm sure weather in Nebraska can be the same as here.

Lenny

hey, I live outside of milwaukee. Let me know next time you want to split shipping on something. There are a few of us around here that get together, and I have regular meeting with a co-worker who lives up your way. Just something to keep in mind, more than happy to help.

LENNY RUEL wrote:

To insure minimal problems if we do get wet weather in Wisconsin during the season I even tape all my plug connections to keep as much water out as possible.

Unfortunately, there's two problems with that approach...

1. You're not going to prevent water from getting in unless you make it absolutely 100% waterproof (which, ironically, properly applied heat shrink does) and

2. The tape does a better job of keeping trapped water IN than it does keeping water OUT.

Haydenp:
Sounds good to me. It be kind of a neat feature if you could go on the forum and punch up what state you are from and it lists everyone else that is a member also.
I stumbled across Shaun on the Planet Christmas forum and he ends up being less than a half hour away and works 5 minutes from me. I'm going to have to make a list.

George:
I know that also, it just seems easier than all the splicing and shrink tube to start with bulk wire and putthe sockets where you want. As far as my taping....Knock on wood but I'm the guy in the area that always gets grilled on why I don't ever have any problems with my lights. The other advantage to taping is if one of my little rabbit friends chews a plug off and I grab the end, I can pull it up from under the snow with out it coming unplugged someplace else and loosing that end. I have about 50 of the 20 and40 foot green landscape cords for my main feeder lines on the static stuff so I may end up with a couple or three end to end or slap a three way block in between them. The tape keeps everything connected.

Lenny

good morning Lenny, i totally understand, and ya we had a couple of very wet days here as well, I'm not sure how the sockets clamp on the bulk wire but i figured it wouldn't be water tight any how. heck unless you seal up every plug and light connection you have all kind of areas where water can get in, i just try and keep them up off the ground and out of the gutters. i wrap all my controller boxes up with over sized heavy garbage bags and knock on wood no problems this last year, and i will only have about a dozen strobes so hopefuly it should work for me.

I was just over on the Constantly Christmas forum and saw where members actually buy the ziplock containers etc to put their connections in. Rubbermaid would work also, but what they do where they have a connection at lower levels is cut a small hole in the side so the wire can pass through. The plug is actually then inside of it and the other wire passes out the other side. Snap the lid on and it helps to keep them dry. Guys on this forum on there mentioned they also do it but I haven't seen mention of it here. I think it's a good idea. Like say you had a leaping arch or mega tree and had however many channels. You could get a bigger container and have all of the connections in it at one shot. I like this and might give it a try next year. I also make sure the female plugs are always pointing down which was just common sense I think, but that was mentioned also. And of course everyone doesn't use GFCI outlets.

Lenny

Lenny,

I don't know about PC because I spend very little time there, but here on LOR all you have to do is click on "Wisconsin" in your location and you'll get a list of all the members who've included Wisconsin in their location.

George