Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Newbie Question - About Low Volatage Displays

BryanLeggo

Ok, a hypothetical question: What if you want to do a minature light display that maybe would always be indoors and wouldn't require the same physical span or amperage of an outdoor display. Would the smart thing be to use the standard LOR controller kits (maybe without the big heat sinks) and instead of attaching bulky extension cords just solder standard extenion cords? Or maybe even not use extension cords and just wire directly from the controller to the light sets?

Not sure what scope you are talking about.. The subject line says low voltage, in which case I would suggest a DC card... But if you are still talking incandescent minis, I suggest keeping the standard fused plug, or otherwise ensure that a 3A fuse is part of the solution.. I have some partial strands of minis on a DC card, but I have put 3A fast acting fuses on the DC in for the card...

Or you could get the 'Village Lightshow Starter Kit' (they had them at Home Depot and K Mart). 24 channel controller with 20 songs programmed in, and 8 mini lighted objects (Mega Tree, Standard tree, Large Crystal Tree, Small Crystal Tree, Crystal Snowman, 2 light strings and a set of 3 street lights). $70 before Christmas, $35 after (K Mart was higher).

BryanLeggo wrote:

Are these programmable in the same detailed way that LOR are? Where you can control each channel?

The sequence editor does not even distinguish between the normal AC cards, and the DC cards. They are all "LOR Controllers"

For the newest features, they need the newest firmware, just like the AC cards. Here is the user manual. Not to bad at 10 pages..

http://www.lightorama.com/Documents/CMB16D_Man_Web.pdf

BryanLeggo wrote:

Are these programmable in the same detailed way that LOR are? Where you can control each channel?

No, preprogrammed with sequences and music. Display elements are DC and power available is limited by the 'wall wart' which powers it. I think you can run an external sound source in, but there is no way to change what the sequence of the lights will be.