Light-O-Rama Forums

Light Storage

dakotasbub

I use the ball and tote method. I start by wrapping my mini's around my hand. After a couple of feet, I take it off my hand and roll it up like a ball of string. Start from the end of the cord. So you are left with the beginning of the string. Just push the plug into the ball. At set up next year, pull the plug out and start unwinding. It makes tree wrapping so much easier.

When the ball is complete, I just drop it in a storage tote, sorted by color.

I agree. This was our second year balling up our lights and it makes it very easy and quick(at both teardown and setup).

-Jeff

Here's the tutorial from my webpage
Start by holding the FEMALE end of the strin in the palm of your hand like this:
lightball_1.jpg
Now wrap the string around your hand three or four times
lightball_2.jpg
Slide the lights off of your hand and start wrapping the lights around them
lightball_3.jpg
as you wrap, occasionally turn the "ball" around so it stay in a roughly round shape.
Once finished, you will have a "ball" with the male plug hanging off of the end.
lightball_4.jpg
To start decorating, just plug up the male where it goes, and start unwrapping the ball.
This makes it especially easy to wrap tree limbs, or just unroll it out down the edge of a wall.
These also keep easily in plastic tubs, and won't be tangled up next year!

iresq wrote:

I was using my right hand to hold the cord :shock:

Dang, I knew I was doing something wrong ;)

Actually the correct method is to check the tags on the string of lights and see it you bought the left handed or right handed lights. I hope still have all of the tags on your lights so you can check.:) It is known to the state of California that wrapping lights incorrectly can cause cancer is elf's.:P

Alan Roten wrote:

Actually the correct method is to check the tags on the string of lights and see it you bought the left handed or right handed lights. I hope still have all of the tags on your lights so you can check.:P It is known to the state of California that wrapping lights incorrectly can cause cancer is elf's.;)

Chuck Norris' tears can cure cancer. Too bad he has never cried.

As an experiment this year, I wrapped 6 100-LED strings together in one ball. It fit in a plastic shopping bag. Has anyone else tried multiple strings in one ball?

I have not tried multiple balled together for storage, but I have worked with a bunch where three strands are bundled together, (three color strand) then just flaked and tossed in the bin. It is amazing how well they separate.. Maybe just the extra stiffness of being the three together keeps them from tangling like we expect from single strings. But the triple strands make such big balls, that I think a lot of space would get wasted in storage.. For wrapping trunks, I take the flaked bundle and ball it up, and wind up with about a 9 inch ball.. Makes it a bit more difficult just above forks in the trunk...

Steven wrote:

As an experiment this year, I wrapped 6 100-LED strings together in one ball. It fit in a plastic shopping bag. Has anyone else tried multiple strings in one ball?

Steven - I wrap my super strings into a big ball... 12 strings of 100 lights. I put each of them in a plastic grocery bag, and then put four of the balls into a storage box for the off season. By the time the ball starts getting big, it's pretty heavy, so I don't go to the gym to lift on the days that I'm wrapping lights. :P

D.T.