Jump to content

MP3 Controller


Guest guest
 Share

Recommended Posts

Guest guest

Just a few simple questions.

The MP3 Director is 3/4" thick, can it be mounted in something 1.5" thick? Or would that be too tight? Does it need good ventilation? Can it be mounted directly to a peice of 1/4" ply? Should it have maybe 1 hex nut worth of spacing?

How many wires will run out of it? 1 for the speakers, 1 for the power, 2 for Cat 5es? Is that all?

Does it need its own power source? Can it be wired into a LOR power input? How many amps?

Wow... My "few" questions just turned into alot...

Thanks,
Zac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

HI,

Yes it could be mounted in something 1.5" think. It does not generate enough heat to worry about ventilation.

1/4 inch spacing would be enough.

Yes you would have wires for (Power, Audio and 1 or 2 data cables).

It can be powered by the CTB16D cards V3 or higher or it can be powered by two of any version of any card. So if your display has more than one controller then you are OK or if you have a single CTB16D V3 or CTB16 V5 you are OK. The new CTB16V5 can power both a MP3 player and a wireless unit.

If you are going to get your own power supply (power brick) get one that is 12vdc and at least 200ma.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Instead of starting a new topic, I am currently trying my new boxes. They are great!

They even have a GFCI outlet in them. But, to preserve the outlet, I have to mount the LOR controller 1/4" from the right hand and top side. It is spaced 1/2 off the bottom of the box and has approx 2" on the left and bottom side of the controller. It also has around 3/4" above the controller. Is this too tight to the side? If it is it would mean I would have to lose the outlet...

Zac

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Ok maybe this will help, a pic.

Keep in mind under the controller is 1/2" of air space and over is about 3/4"

Thanks,
Zac


Attached files 48260=2810-newboxcontroller1.GIF

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Hi Dan,

I have a question concerning the DC-MP3.

I notice from the image of the device in the manual that it has rows of pins to the rear which appear to be marked "pgm", "inputs" and "outputs".

I'm guessing "pgm" stands for program; maybe firmware etc.

Would you care to enlighten us all as to what these may be used for in the future?

Thanks.

Martin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Zac_Cutt wrote:

Ok maybe this will help, a pic.

Keep in mind under the controller is 1/2" of air space and over is about 3/4"

Thanks,
Zac

Zac,

You should be ok with that installation.

Dan
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

grandad wrote:

Hi Dan,

I have a question concerning the DC-MP3.

I notice from the image of the device in the manual that it has rows of pins to the rear which appear to be marked "pgm", "inputs" and "outputs".

I'm guessing "pgm" stands for program; maybe firmware etc.

Would you care to enlighten us all as to what these may be used for in the future?

Thanks.

Martin


The pgm is as you guessed used to load the original firmware. Later the firmare updates are via the RJ45 port.

In a future Firmware Release: The output is designed to be plugged into a triac/relay card. It will be able to control 8 channels of lights.

The input will handle a number of inputs signals, (switches, motion detectors, etc.. ) The operation of the show will be modified by the actions of these inputs.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Dan:

One more quick question, assuming this has not yet been asked (I looked but did not see it asked).

I read through the manual on the mp3 player, which I have ordered.

It mentioned using mp3s recorded at 128K. Mine are all recorded at 320. Can I assume they will still work satisfactorily?

Hope the sale is not driving you and Mary too crazy!

Greg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest
It mentioned using mp3s recorded at 128K. Mine are all recorded at 320. Can I assume they will still work satisfactorily?

The only thing I've read recently about bit rates is in this thread. There may be some helpful information there.

Tom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Greg Young wrote:

Dan:

One more quick question, assuming this has not yet been asked (I looked but did not see it asked).

I read through the manual on the mp3 player, which I have ordered.

It mentioned using mp3s recorded at 128K. Mine are all recorded at 320. Can I assume they will still work satisfactorily?

Hope the sale is not driving you and Mary too crazy!

Greg

Greg,

You will need to convert those to 128... It will work at some faster rate but not 320.... With the type of audio equiptment generally used to get the sound/FM out for a Christmas Display, anything above 128 will be lost. If you need any information on converting them let me know.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

I thought this only applied to the MP3 Director, but if I interpret Dan's comment properly:

"With the type of audio equiptment generally used to get the sound/FM out for a Christmas Display, anything above 128 will be lost."

Anything needs to be 128 regardless of what we use (computer and Ramsey transmitter)? If so, I need to convert my files to 128 too. Fortuantely, I have only one sequence so far, I can re-record the other files at 128.

Denny

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

circus4u wrote:

I thought this only applied to the MP3 Director, but if I interpret Dan's comment properly:

"With the type of audio equipment generally used to get the sound/FM out for a Christmas Display, anything above 128 will be lost."

Anything needs to be 128 regardless of what we use (computer and Ramsey transmitter)? If so, I need to convert my files to 128 too. Fortunately, I have only one sequence so far, I can re-record the other files at 128.

Opps SORRY... I am confusing people.

The 128 only applies to the MP3 Director card. Now you can go with any speed you want on your PC. The point is that once you go over 128 there really isn't going to be a difference that can be heard.

With a really good stereo you can hear a difference up to 160 and then it becomes very difficult to hear an improvement with higher bit rates.

If you transmit with an FM transmitter you are limited to the amount of clarity that the FM signal can handle. Anything above 128 cannot be transmitted so it is lost.

The quality of most if not all outdoor speakers and the fact that there are back ground sounds make it such that you cannot hear a difference when you move above 128.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

LightORama wrote:

circus4u wrote:
I thought this only applied to the MP3 Director, but if I interpret Dan's comment properly:

"With the type of audio equipment generally used to get the sound/FM out for a Christmas Display, anything above 128 will be lost."

Anything needs to be 128 regardless of what we use (computer and Ramsey transmitter)? If so, I need to convert my files to 128 too. Fortunately, I have only one sequence so far, I can re-record the other files at 128.

Opps SORRY... I am confusing people.

The 128 only applies to the MP3 Director card. Now you can go with any speed you want on your PC. The point is that once you go over 128 there really isn't going to be a difference that can be heard.

With a really good stereo you can hear a difference up to 160 and then it becomes very difficult to hear an improvement with higher bit rates.

If you transmit with an FM transmitter you are limited to the amount of clarity that the FM signal can handle. Anything above 128 cannot be transmitted so it is lost.

The quality of most if not all outdoor speakers and the fact that there are back ground sounds make it such that you cannot hear a difference when you move above 128.
What would be the best way to convert?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

mountainwxman wrote:

LightORama wrote:
circus4u wrote:
I thought this only applied to the MP3 Director, but if I interpret Dan's comment properly:

"With the type of audio equipment generally used to get the sound/FM out for a Christmas Display, anything above 128 will be lost."

Anything needs to be 128 regardless of what we use (computer and Ramsey transmitter)? If so, I need to convert my files to 128 too. Fortunately, I have only one sequence so far, I can re-record the other files at 128.

Opps SORRY... I am confusing people.

The 128 only applies to the MP3 Director card. Now you can go with any speed you want on your PC. The point is that once you go over 128 there really isn't going to be a difference that can be heard.

With a really good stereo you can hear a difference up to 160 and then it becomes very difficult to hear an improvement with higher bit rates.

If you transmit with an FM transmitter you are limited to the amount of clarity that the FM signal can handle. Anything above 128 cannot be transmitted so it is lost.

The quality of most if not all outdoor speakers and the fact that there are back ground sounds make it such that you cannot hear a difference when you move above 128.
What would be the best way to convert?
In the the next few days we will be posting some information on the website that covers the topic of ripping MP3 files.... I will see if we can get something in there on how to convert.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

Being totally dim, but i cannot find the answer in the user guide. What are the two RJ 45 connectors for? I understand that one will be the outward signal to the first controller but what is the other for?

Also any idea on timescale for the scheduling function?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest guest

DarrenJeffries wrote:

Being totally dim, but i cannot find the answer in the user guide. What are the two RJ 45 connectors for? I understand that one will be the outward signal to the first controller but what is the other for?

Also any idea on timescale for the scheduling function?

Good point on the two RJ45... The MP3 Director can be in the middle of the daisy chain so you can go out in both directions. I think the scheduling will be out in 30-45 days.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...