Light-O-Rama Forums

When did Fading Shimmer/Twinkle become avail?

zman

LED Holiday Lights is going to be pushing a dimmable retro fit bulb that Dan has giving his blessing on for use with LOR. This is pretty exciting. However, go to the link below and read Testimonial 3. I was not aware that fading shimmers and twinkles were available in LORII for the 2008 season. Did I miss something?

http://www.ledretros.com/testimonials

Wow, cover me with snow and call me Frosty.

It was hectic during set up and the season for me, and I did not monitor the boards much. This would have been fun to play with. My display is still running till Saturday. I may just have to tinker some.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about testimonial 3, where the reviewer says "they respond much faster (half second to a second) on power on and fades".

I'm ordering the sample pack to see for myself, but please tell me I'm interpreting that statement wrong. Half to one second to come up to full brightness at power on?

Dan, not a problem, at all, as this is now peeling the onion for me. That is a good point. I hope they are instant on and off, AND fadable. Time to ping Travis.

DanCampbell wrote:

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question about testimonial 3, where the reviewer says "they respond much faster (half second to a second) on power on and fades".

I'm ordering the sample pack to see for myself, but please tell me I'm interpreting that statement wrong. Half to one second to come up to full brightness at power on?

I assume you guys are talking about testimonial 4 (C9 LED Retro Orange bulbs) - that was actually me. The do come on (first responds) NOTICEABLE faster then incandescent. So just note for being careful mixing.

Harrison

So I can assume that the latest firmware on the LOR Support site (4.20) is the latest required to be downloaded to the controllers. This supports the new commands.

If all of the above is true, then I am all set. I downloaded that firmware update early in the season and put them on all my controllers already! Just have to install the 2.1.6 Update and I am good to go.

zman wrote:

So I can assume that the latest firmware on the LOR Support site (4.20) is the latest required to be downloaded to the controllers. This supports the new commands.

If all of the above is true, then I am all set. I downloaded that firmware update early in the season and put them on all my controllers already! Just have to install the 2.1.6 Update and I am good to go.

4.3 is the latest.

Harrison

I agree, these are extremely fast. Shimmer is extremely crisp. Almost like a strobe effect!

Also the house in the video being compared between 2007 and 2008 was extremely impressive in person. The three channel, three color chase on the roof was extremely sharp and crisp in person.

As for fading shimmer and twinkle, I have not upgraded the firmware on any of my controllers yet, but I have already started some 2009 sequencing in 2.1.6. Lots of possibilities for the new effects.

- Kevin

Zman,

When you download the newest verison of the software, it containes the latest firmware to make the fade/shimmer and fade/twinkle to work.

You can follow the links under Important announcements on the forum main page.

Chuck

Chuck, that is what I thought. Once I installed it, I looked around and did not see the firmware file anywhere. So I just downloaded it from the LOR site.

Thanks for the response.

My house is the one in the video where it is comparing 2007 and 2008. The timimgs are at .05 and it is a 4 channel chase. In 2007 when I did this chase it looked more like a random blur twinkle because the incadecent bulbs didnt react fast enough however with the LEDs you can actually see each bulb go on and off in order and it makes a cool looking chase because it is so fast. I got a lot of compliments from that chase. I HIGHLY recomend these bulbs they faded VERY well and also chased great.

I have not written my testimonial yet however here is a quick over view of it

I tested 97 of each of the following colors (388 total) on my house

Cool white, Red, Blue, Green

Out of those I had 5 Cool whites, 1 Red, 1 Green, 2 Blue bulbs fail and 2 bulbs that the base came off when I took them down. I usually have on average of 3-4 of each color fail and I usually have atleast 5-10 bases come off when I take down when using incadecents.

zman wrote:

I was not aware that fading shimmers and twinkles were available in LORII for the 2008 season. Did I miss something?

I upgraded the firmware and lor2.1.6 during my 2008 season. Reprogrammed a couple of songs using the new shimmer/twinkle fades etc. It worked great. I am using Home Depot LED I got last year with snubbers on the ends fades and all effect worked great.

Oh me of little faith...

Being my first year and overly cautious, I didn't do the 2.1.x upgrade during the season. So before tear down yesterday I did the software and firmware upgrades. And of course they went off without a hitch. The fading twinkle/shimmer is a great addition that I will definitely be using in '09.

Thanks to everyone at LOR for solid products. IF I ever need support I know it will be just as awesome.

DanCampbell wrote:

Oh me of little faith...

Being my first year and overly cautious, I didn't do the 2.1.x upgrade during the season. So before tear down yesterday I did the software and firmware upgrades. And of course they went off without a hitch. The fading twinkle/shimmer is a great addition that I will definitely be using in '09.

Thanks to everyone at LOR for solid products. IF I ever need support I know it will be just as awesome.

I least you had a good reason! I downloaded way back when and had it going for halloween and still never noticed fade/twinkle options..

I only noticed that the files were huge now!

LOL! Wonder what else im missing!

I knew the new features were available in early December, but did not want to introduce any uncertainty into either of the well running shows, so I just left it as a note to follow up on.. Now that I have all of the home show down, except for the retrofit C9s, I upgraded the firmware on the controller they are on, and upgraded the show PC.

I ran a test sequence that had 40% intensity shimmer base on all 6 channels, and one at a time had them ramp from 100% shimmer back to 40%. That is a really cool effect, especially with these LEDs, so my 2009 sequencing is already under way in 2.1.6.

• 1 month later...

Whoa, I was fooling around with the new buttons in lor (I haven't opened the sequence editor since December 10th...

To my surprise shimmer/twinkle intensity&fade have been added!

YAHOO a feature I wanted since day one but never thought it was going to happen!

Its quite a shocker to find something you didn't know of when your not following the boards...