Light-O-Rama Forums

What is a good video camera?

GaryBo

Well I feel like Ray Liotta in the "Christmas Christmas" show on the sitcom "Just Shoot Me", It's all over!!!! I am so depressed. Anyway, I look forward to next year.

I want to get a good digital video camera, that I can video my lights and sequences. I want a camera that does shoot well in dark light, and possibly has a good wide angle capability. I am not necessarily concerned with audio as I will edit the sound on the video.
I have seen many videos that have been posted at various locations on the net, and the quality of some are quite impressive, and have seen some that are very poor quality.

I am a complete novice in this area and any help would be appreciated.

What's your budget? Do you have a robust computer for editing? If you looking for a top grade consumer HD (AVCHD actuallY), I'd look at the Canon HG 21.

Check out this thread on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1070836

Read Ken Ross's review. Ken is a respected poster about camcorders and can be found on several forums including dvinfo.net

Dave and Dale, Thanks for the info.
I am going to the CES, tomorrow, here in Las Vegas.
Hopefully, I will get to talk to the "experts" and maybe get a demo or two.
Then I can decide which camera I want.

GaryBo

post back some info you get. I rented a sony vx2100 and although I didn't have a lot of time to play with it. It came out ok. I am also looking into what to buy. I will also upgrade my computer this year and trying to make sure I buikld it right for editing video. Let us know what you find out. Thanks Don C>

I wish I could go to CES. I love that stuff!

A funny thing is happening with cam prices. That have started to creep up a bit. On theory is that CES will introduce new cams so the demand for the outgoing cams will increase as people will not want to pay the full incoming price of the new.

iresq wrote:

I wish I could go to CES. I love that stuff!

A funny thing is happening with cam prices. That have started to creep up a bit. On theory is that CES will introduce new cams so the demand for the outgoing cams will increase as people will not want to pay the full incoming price of the new.

I think Canon has about 6 they will show off.

Just returned from CES.
These are my reviews and not necessarily an all round good review.

Kodak booth: They had a very nice “small” camera the ZX1. Available about April.. Very compact, about the size of a cel phone. Demo'd, xlnt quality, some low light use. Should retail about $150.00
link
http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-locale=en_US&pq-path=14295

Panasonic booth: Several new models, price range $500.00 and up. Demo'd
All xlnt models and quality, and low light use. Some of the models are:
SDR-H80, SDR-526, SDR-SW21, SDR-15, HS300, TM300 + a few more models
Link:
http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders.75052_11002_7000000000000005702

Sony booth:very Disappointed, not able to get a demo, or really talk to reps.

Canon Booth: again very disappointed. Did talk to reps, but no demos. Did not learn much

NOT CAMERA RELATED:

Asus booth:
To me the best of the show was a notebook computer from Asus, yes, the same people for so many years, made mother boards and other peripheral boards.
They introduced the Eee PC T91, and it will be available in the spring.
8” notebook with wireless built in, a GPS, TV tuner, swivel screen, Win XP home, and more. Should retail for $499.00.
Could not find a link on Asus, but run a google search, and several reviews will come up.

GaryBo wrote:

I want to get a good digital video camera, that I can video my lights and sequences.

Gary, there are a couple of threads on PC that you might check out:

http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=28665
http://forums.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=29203

:(

No way I can afford that.

garyfunk wrote:

No. Good, cheap and low-light don't go together.

I went with the Canon HF-11.

garyfunk wrote:

What price range are you looking for?

I thought there would've been a good low-light camera for under $300. But as you stated, there is no such thing as a cheap, good camera.

My wife's Sony Handycam is great for indoor stuff, but the moment it gets dark, the camera performs terribly. I guess that is what you get for buying something so cheap. I do not know anything about cameras. I read 2 reviews on that camcorderinfo site and I don't understand a lot of the verbage there. I just go straight to reading the low-light reviews. I was hoping the Canon FS100 would've fared well in low-light, since it is sub $300. But it doesn't perform too well.

Well, if you get tired of your HF-11 or want to upgrade to a new camera within the next 1-2 years, let me know!

Has anyone used the Sony dsr- vx2100 or HDRfx1 or cannon XL2. i am thinking about getting one of these. Also is High def ok in low light situations? Thanks in advance Don C.

redsea300 wrote:

Has anyone used the Sony dsr- vx2100 or HDRfx1 or cannon XL2. i am thinking about getting one of these. Also is High def ok in low light situations? Thanks in advance Don C.

High def does not mean low light.