Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC kit question

cotrill

I want to add 4 controllers for 2009, since I am wanting to add 4 I am considering the kit and I could basically get 5 for the same price. I have never soldered, but it doesn't scare me.

My question is what solder gun do you recommend? Is this something that someone who has never soldered before could do if I follow the LOR directions?

cotrill wrote:

I want to add 4 controllers for 2009, since I am wanting to add 4 I am considering the kit and I could basically get 5 for the same price. I have never soldered, but it doesn't scare me.

My question is what solder gun do you recommend? Is this something that someone who has never soldered before could do if I follow the LOR directions?

Do not use a gun. Use an iron. Find a nice Weller.

I used a 25 watt and a 40 watt Weller Iron this year, they worked fine. Just follow the directions in the assembly manual that comes with the kit precisely. Here's a website with pictures:

http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=how_to_solder

Attached files WellerSoldering.pdf

You will need but a low and medium heat iron. I used a Weller gun 100/140. The 100 is a little warm for this application but I had not problems.

Before you begin, might want to buy a cheap project from Rat Shack to practice.

I use an old Weller soldering station. Don't know the wattage/temp offhand, but it's worked fine for me. Even for the spade lugs it gets hot enough to flow through the hole.

A tip I've found useful: sometimes the spade logs are snug so they can be inserted, flipped and soldered. Most of the time they've been loose, so I just tack solder them from the top of the board, turn over and make sure they're touching the (non-kitchen-table) work surface, and finish soldering them in from the back.

The kits are great way to maximize your investment if you want to take the time to assemble them. But we've only got 324 days to go...

Definately go to Radio Shack to buy a "kit" and solder. I wouldn't want to screw up the LOR PCB and you try to troubleshoot it later.

iresq wrote:

You will need but a low and medium heat iron. I used a Weller gun 100/140. The 100 is a little warm for this application but I had not problems.

Before you begin, might want to buy a cheap project from Rat Shack to practice.

bisquit476 wrote:

I used a 25 watt and a 40 watt Weller Iron this year, they worked fine.

That's what I used also. After my 40w died, I replaced it with a 60w and that worked a little better on the spades, but either would be fine as your stronger iron.

-Jeff

I soldered 14 boards and used the Craftsman solder irons one 25 watt and one 40 watt. I believe both were under $18 total. You dont need the expensive tools to do these boards.

I used the standard pointed tip for all soldering and kept the tip filed clean and had no problems.

Anthony

i also have the wmrp pencil - so i guess that does make it the wd100m (have the wmrs at work)

i love the almost instant on and off of the tip and the ability to change the tip on the fly

John Hertig wrote:

I got one of these, with the 'fine point' for the circuitry and a 'chisel point' for the lugs. Works very well, and heat up quickly and maintains the set temperature well. The tip cleaner works very well also. All in all, very happy, particularly considering the price.

http://www.howardelectronics.com/xytronic/379.html

Wow, that's nice.