Light-O-Rama Forums

Default On Value

Guest guest

Is there a method of setting the "ON" value to 80% by default on a sequence? You would then have to bump it up to 100% by hand....? I'd hate to have to set each segment by hand...

I've found the set intensity to xx%, but that would imply that i'd have to go back and select each andy every "On" segment and set the intensity.

I was hoping that there was a method of saying "the ON value should be 80%"

Has someone already suggested this as feedback for LOR II??

Tad

Tad wrote:

I've found the set intensity to xx%, but that would imply that i'd have to go back and select each andy every "On" segment and set the intensity.

Tad

You already have to go and select each cell you want at full value, so this shouldn't be any more time consuming. Simply change the intensity to the value you want, and highlight your cells. I forget the keyboard shortcut, but it will probably save you some time.

Search this forum for keyboard shortcuts. It's been talked about in the last week. (And if someone wants to add that information to the Tips and Tricks section of the LOR Wiki, go ahead!)

He is right, actually, in that it really is a pain to go back and change the brightness over a large area. I've done that (with standard on/off notes) and also with fades. It is very time consuming and tedious. If it could be done via a tool, it would be a time saver and enable more creativity.

I've just put in a feature request in the feature thread for an option where you can select an area, then right-click to automatically rescale the values inside of the selection.

Bigger picture: Right now, the software pushes everyone to an OFF-DIM-ON paradigm. What I'm reading in this forum is that some of us are playing around with an OFF-DIM-ON-BRIGHT paradigm. In that arrangement, our "on" would be some fixed number between 40% and 80%. It only ramps up to 100% bright for points of emphasis. So 100% becomes an accent, and no longer the norm.

EDIT: Even more so, when you think about having an entire song, and then wanting to switch to OFF-DIM-ON-BRIGHT. You'd want to rescale the entire song, likely, from start to finish, then go back and manually add your ramp ups to 100% back in for certain sections.

I agree that there seems to be a shift in thought- and I like the O.D.O.B. pallette. It adds that extra virtual channel that you can pull out every once and a while.

You can modify the values of the ramps from 100 to 80- but there is nothing that seems to indicate that you can set the initial value of "ON" to anything other than 100.

That would be an excellent addition.

ODOB, much easier than OFF-dim-ON-BRIGHT
Tad

:waycool:

Tad wrote:

Is there a method of setting the "ON" value to 80% by default on a sequence? You would then have to bump it up to 100% by hand....? I'd hate to have to set each segment by hand...

I was hoping that there was a method of saying "the ON value should be 80%"

Has someone already suggested this as feedback for LOR II??

Tad

Doesn't some of the more advanced (e.g. CTB-16D) hardware have a "high burn" setting that will accomplish this? Of course, that would make it global for all sequences.

My experience is largely with the lowly CTB-08's which doens't support that capability...

-Tim

tfischer wrote:

Doesn't some of the more advanced (e.g. CTB-16D) hardware have a "high burn" setting that will accomplish this? Of course, that would make it global for all sequences.

I think you hit upon your own answer. :}

Using the LOR Hardware program, you can set the max intensity per controller. That controller will simply clip anything higher down to that lower level. But that isn't what we're looking for. We still want to be able to do 100%. Just not by default.

I think what we're discussing here is more of a sequencer software idea. We're leaving our controllers uncapped like normal. But we're trying to wrap our brains about the best way (I think both currently, and hypothetically in the future) to handle the situation where we want "ON" to mean, say, 80%. And then if we ever want 100%, then that be more of a manual process. Rather than the other way around.

Again, someone may wonder why. And the reason, as to add in another new special effect to your strings. It would appear as sort of an 'overburn' where you give the appearance of running your lights at 125%... even beyond the normal voltage. (Of course, you're not. It would just fool the eye because you've scaled everything so where people watching the display assume your 80% mark is your 100% mark.)

And that's kind of what we're looking at. Making our new 'ON' at 80% so we can pull that kind of effect. There is another effect you can do based on that, which I also put in the suggestions thread. It is a 'burst on', which is particularly effective with LEDs.

The idea is if you have some really punchy notes, you [starting at an OFF position] burst your circuit on for 100% for 1/10th of a second, then immediately switch to normal brightness. It gives it an OFF-to-ON transition a good deal of punch/emphasis.

This LOR goes to 11

That is one of my all time favorite lines... :)

Nigel: "You see, most blokes will be playing at 10. You’re on 10, all the way up, all the way up...Where can you go from there? Nowhere. What we do, is if we need that extra push over the cliff...Eleven. One louder."

DiBergi: "Why don’t you just make 10 louder and make 10 be the top number, and make that a little louder?"

Nigel (after a brief pause): "These go to 11."

(from the movie, "This is Spinal Tap")

Whenever we run into difficulties at work, someone occasionally suggests turning it up to 11. Only a handful of us laugh. :laughing:

Tom