Light-O-Rama Forums

Programming LOR

sjmiller

Let me preface this - my favorite Christmas song is the "Sugar plum fairy"... t took me about 13 hours to design and program this song - I have the best rendtion bar none.

I tried to use the tapper to capture multiple runs of the same song - lame at best, the midi waveform display is best used for timing,,

Is there a question in there or were you just complaining about about the tapper?

Can you post the Sugar Plum Fairy sequence? I have not seen this one yet let alone the best rendition.

Thanks.

Hmm - there was a question - most of my post didn't get posted (operator error)..

I've been reading the forums and training guides and what I wanted to do is set up a timing grid of .05 seconds for the song, then use the tapper on different channels to capture song events. I'm going to start with a 16 channel controller, so I set up the sequencer for 16 channels, then wanted to do the first tapper pass on channel 17 for song timing, channel 18 for harpsacord, channel 19 for horns, channel 20 for strings - then build my light sequence on channel 1 thru 16 from the taps. What I ended up with was that the tapper would change the timing on all channels. Did I read something into the sequencer capablity that it can't do - or am I doing something wrong?

I'm new here, so if this isn't the way to post a sequesnce please let me know the right way.

The zip file contains the audio file I downloaded from: http://www.mfiles.co.uk/mp3-files.htm

and my .lcc and .lms files

In hind sight - I probably picked one of the hardest songs to build a sequence for - but I really like how it turned out.

Suggestions for improvements are welcome!

Attached files sugar_plum.zip

sjmiller wrote:

Hmm - there was a question - most of my post didn't get posted (operator error)..

I've been reading the forums and training guides and what I wanted to do is set up a timing grid of .05 seconds for the song, then use the tapper on different channels to capture song events. I'm going to start with a 16 channel controller, so I set up the sequencer for 16 channels, then wanted to do the first tapper pass on channel 17 for song timing, channel 18 for harpsacord, channel 19 for horns, channel 20 for strings - then build my light sequence on channel 1 thru 16 from the taps. What I ended up with was that the tapper would change the timing on all channels. Did I read something into the sequencer capablity that it can't do - or am I doing something wrong

If you are using LOR 1, you kinda have to live with that. If you have upgraded to S2, start with a clean sequence spaced at .05. Create a duplicate track then run the tapper in that track. This will preserve your timings in the first track.

Thanks Dave,

I bought the starter pack tonight and upgraded to S2 - I'll order the controller(s) later this year.

I found another mostly instrumental song to sequence next... it's cool! Going to try out the S2 tapper feature.

Steve

sjmiller wrote:

I'm new here, so if this isn't the way to post a sequesnce please let me know the right way.

The zip file contains the audio file I downloaded from: http://www.mfiles.co.uk/mp3-files.htm

and my .lcc and .lms files

In hind sight - I probably picked one of the hardest songs to build a sequence for - but I really like how it turned out.

Suggestions for improvements are welcome!

Great thanks sj, I am trying to work out how to view your animation now but another mp3 to add to my growing collection and new obsession! absolute newbie here but working through it and can see why people get hooked on it, I have started off slowly with the starter kit and 16 channels but hope to be posting vids with the best of you at christmas!

Does any one know if you can save the animation and use it in other sequences or do you have to draw it all over again. I found this problem when I tried to do my own sequence with SJs sugar plum fairy.....thanks guys, I really enjoy the board...roscoe

Attached files 169590=9748-franklin road lights shrunk.

Thanks.

In S2, as mentioned already, preserve your track 1 with the fixed timings, then duplicate track into as many additional tracks as you need. When you use a tapper wizard into those tracks, you will only introduce new timings on the track you use the tapper wizard on.

I sometimes use one (or more) wizards in these additional tracks, since they are kind of scratch pads for various things I'm adding in. So you don't mind them getting mess up, since I usually start the new track with no timings. I also use these wizards to work on certain sections of the song at a time, so only timing for the time range specified will be affected.

Similarly, I might duplicate into a 3rd track and put beat wizard or vu wizard stuff into them.

There is no right or wrong way ... just what works best for you. Tracks were intended for different timings like this, but some also use them as grouping mechanisms as well ... say putting a collection of things together into track4, so that all the white lights can be together even if they were not in the base configuration.

Just ideas to think about.

Scott

Roscoe,

Welcome - from one newbie to another!

I think you are talking about the channel configuration (.lcc) file, and yes once you have created it you can save it and reuse it. It took me about 5 or 6 tries before I was happy with the .lcc file I posted. It is a good representation of how my lights look on the house. (S2 allows you to import a picture of your house) I have an M shaped roof line, 9 or so reindeer on the roof, a 20 foot live christmas tree in front, three bushes in front of the house and hedges on both sides.

If you go to Edit > Import Channel Configuration then load the .lcc file it will pull in the "animation". Then you have to click on the "film strip" icon to display it. Once you have edited it for your house - do an Edit > Export Channel Configuration. Now you import the the same file to tweak how a sequence will be displayed on your house.

Hope this helps - let me know if you need additional assistance.

sj

roscoe39 wrote:

Does any one know if you can save the animation and use it in other sequences or do you have to draw it all over again. I found this problem when I tried to do my own sequence with SJs sugar plum fairy.....thanks guys, I really enjoy the board...roscoe

SJ is correct but let me try to explain it further.

In addition to your lighting effects, each sequence also contains information regarding channel configuration (name, color, controller assignment, etc) and animation. This information is collectively known as the configuration.

Once you get your first sequence set up the way you want it (channel names, controller assignments, color, etc.) and have completed your animation window, you can save your configuration file by selecting edit - export configuration.

When you start a new sequence, select edit - import configuration. This will bring all that hard work into your new sequence so you don't have to do it again, including your animation.

You can also import your configuration into existing sequences. Just be aware that the configuration is based on cell reference, not name. In other words, channel 1 in the configuration will be assigned to channel 1 in the sequence, regardless of the name. So make sure your channels are in the same order before importing. This is hard to explain but try it a few times, you will see what I mean.

You can also have multiple configurations. I have one for Halloween and one for Christmas. I also make new configurations when I add controllers.

I don't know about you guys but the beat wizard is my best friend, seriously! I learned a long time ago while taking piano that I have no rhythm...so that Tapper wizard is of little use for me ;). Whenever I start sequencing a song first thing I do is run beat wizard to get my timings, then go from there. Sometimes I'll have to add or adjust things, add additional timings etc. but at least it gets me the basic bare bones. I haven't experimented much with the tracks as I've only recently upgraded to S2 and it still boggles my mind a bit, so I'm still just doing everything on the one window...but it seems to work for me. As was said before there is no right or wrong way with LOR, there's usually several different ways to accomplish the same task so it's really just personal preference and what works best for you. I'm still learning just as many others are.

I havnt tried the wizard yet....Ill do that on my next sequence...(after the Sugar Plum!, but fortunately I have a musical background so I treat my house and its lights like a keyboard and it has been relatively easyso far ........(or maybe im doing something wrong and it will turn to custard later).... Im still stunned by what you guys have achieved so far...Im in New Zealand and this sort of system is not widely used...........................yet!