Light-O-Rama Forums

ANOTHER NEWBIE ON BOARD!

Kim Hatfield

For the 1/3 of the cost that's extension cords, you can save a lot by making them yourself if you don't have enough on hand. And it's a whole lot easier than you might think. Just buy the wire, plugs and sockets in bulk, cut the wire to the lengths you need, snap the plugs and sockets on, and you're good to go.

Bulk wire can be purchased from Creative Display's preorder:

http://talk.planetchristmas.com/showthread.php?t=28915&highlight=sessel

LED Holiday Lighting is also having a preorder (details to be published this Wednesday):

http://www.ledholidaylighting.com/2009-LED-Pre-Order-Event.aspx

There's probably other sources of wire at good prices that'll pop up through the year, and some folks find good deals at local stores.

The plugs and sockets most of us use literally just snap on. You don't have to do anything more than make sure the wire has a clean cut, lay it in the open end of the plug/socket, and slide a cover over.

We'll talk ya though it if you choose that route.

Hey Dan,

What a coincidence you wrote about the extension cords. That was my next issue to write about. I have read several messages on the boards of making your own cords way cheaper than buying them. What wire do you recommend?

Kim

I'll be ordering wire from Creative Displays or LED Holiday Lighting. CDI's is $85 for 1000' plus shipping. We'll see on Wednesday what LED Holiday Lighting's price is.

You'll find lots of threads discussing types of wire and what the designations mean. I think CDI's is "SPT-3". I'll use whatever I can find, though, especially when I run out.

Gotta run to a meeting... catch y'all later.

Kim:

Yep by myself on this as well. My wife who is actually the computer person in our house said from what she sees it's a lot more time than she has with a new baby to take care of so the lights and pretty much everything else was by myself this year.

Next year the munchkin will be almost a year and a half old and hopefully she can keep herself occupied for awhile and Karen can come out and help out with the easy lights at least. Now that I have a decent feel for the system and she has watched over my shoulder she's more comfortable with it to maybe try sequencing a little this summer.

I'm putting in a preorder for a couple thousand feet of cord, plugs, sockets, etrc along with a couple dozen curtain strobes once the other pricing comes out on Wednesday. Right know I'm looking at CDI, though they don't have the C9 attach on sockets for the curtain strobes.

We bought about 10,000 more lights last week, mostly Green, Red and White minis although that does include about 20 sets of red and green C6's. As for minis, Walmart has tons left over up here at about $1 a box.

As far as your wiring problem, luckily I do my own so I'm good to go there.

Lenny

Well congradulations on the new little muchkin as you call her...lol! Too cute!

Glad you understand where i am coming from. Atleast i have the great support of you guys on here to help me out.

Scott buzzed me today and gave me some wonderful detailed info on the wiring situation. I will need an electrician but atleast i know now what i need to get this system up and going.

Also got some other awesome tips and info.

I did put a hurting on walmart here and also target, home depot, lowes and where ever else i was catching sales. Several of you have recommended that wire so that is the way i am going for sure.

My software just arrived so now comes the aspirin! I need a good fresh shower from stringing lights all day on things for 2009 christmas, then i will hopefully have a clear head that i can sit and read all the help tips and starter info on the software. Wish me luck! LOL.........

Later Gator!

Kim

Hi Kim,

2008 was my first year with LOR and it was a blast! My advice is to upgrade your software right away to the latest version. Then, pick a song that you like and start playing around with it. (The Beat Wizard will quickly become your best friend) If you take things one step at a time, the software really isn't very hard to learn. Don't worry about making mistakes - you've got 11 months to get it right.

Hey George,

Glad you wrote in with a positive note. I did get my software upgraded already with the help of cmoore60 and i also have a completed sequence and audio to view so that i can get the true feel of this entire program.

This is the best place that i have ever visited and i am actually thinking of making this a permenant home! LOL....

Hopefully in time i will be up and running like all the rest of you. Right now it is baby steps.....

Gotta run as i have lots of reading to do so that i can understand all the functions and aspects of this new venture.

Til Later,

Kim