Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm PO To The Maximum

Guest Guest

Guest wbottomley

I know we have a bunch of idiots running our county. Today, I noticed their IQ level is below 0.

The county is trying to tax my display as a business. That's right, a business!

When it's Christmas and trying to spread the cheer and spirit, I get this notice.

Last time I checked, admission was free. Even donations were sent to local food pantries.

I'd like to know how many (county officials) came to see it?

taxes_edit.jpg

I get these here in Pasquotank County every year also. I don't think they are actually taxing your display. They just want to know if you have anything else that they can tax that they don't already know about. Mine used to come solely for my boat.

The DBA is just saying that you have done business as high country lights. Have you bought anything within the county and used that name and possibly was given a tax break by a local vendor? They may have reported it as your business.

Steve

You kow Bill, maybe they thought that you were running an airport due to all the lights? Or possibly a lighthouse?

Lets face it, with these tough economic times and a new administration coming on board, the politicians are most likely figuring that they are due another raise. They have to come up with new and innovative ways to fleece us out of the money that we don't have as it is!

Give em' h___.

Bill

Guest wbottomley

Steve... I received one for my personal property. This one is for the lights. When did it become a business.

beeill... when Monday comes, the bus will come to a halt! I'll call just to get enough information as to why and then contact an attorney.

I see a PR disaster for them. Maybe I'll help replace three commissioner seats in two years.

Maybe you can say it is a business?

You spend thousands of dollars on lights, ext cords, LOR controllers, props and the power to run it. Hundreds of man hours on the sequences, setting up the lights and taking them down.

And you made how much money? You change no admission and the donations you did receive, you gave 100% to charity. Sounds like a failed business to me. I see a large tax right-off for 2008?

If your going to be charged as a business, theirs a few thing that might benifit you that you should look into before you dispute it.

look into a 1099 forum. ( you will need a very good accountant) I have one here if you need some advice.

you get 30% that you can use for electrical usaged for your new business, and during the summer month, your electric is use to prepare for the next and new season.

part of your morgage % is a rent to your office, that you are using to control the lights. all you need is a room with your computor in it to be an office.

heating and cooling your office is also a percent to write off on, even during the summer months.

vehicle usage to get your equipment. yes its small, .05 %. but thru the year it adds up. unless you claim milage and tolls. than you need proof and recites. but car payment is also a write off.

your phone is also part of your business. dont know the percent on it. but it also a part in it, along with your internet.

also your time per hour . thats where you need to justify an amount for your services.

you can make High County a businss and profit from losing money every year on tax write offs. you will have to get an accountant and do a little more paper work with your 1040.
before you act, talk with a local accountant that specailizes in 1099, might be worth your drive time.

hope this helps.
Evan

Guest wbottomley

Here's an update:

I contacted the Tax office today and ask what grounds do they have declaring my display as a business.

They "thought" I had done business and registered that name with the county register of deeds.

They couldn't find any records at the county office and with the secretary of state.

All in all, "We made a mistake" the tax office said.

Looks like this matter has been cleared up, I hope.:shock:

All in all, "We made a mistake" the tax office said.

Just make sure to have the "mistake" office send you a letter on their letterhead stating that they made a mistake and that your "hobby" is in fact NOT a business. That way 2 years down the road when they try to tax you as a business again, you can show that you don't have a business, and they have made a mistake again. Once they "think" you have a business, they'll always "think" you have a business. Been there, done that, with the a@@holes in NC, that's part of the reason I now live in Florida. Good Luck

You know though I still like the business idea. A business with nothing but a loss. Loss= tax write off.. Maybe even forming an LLC so that way if someone got hurt because of your display that way it was the LLC that did the display and not you. Releasing the liability from the actual dispaly owner. Maybe we should start a legal forum with questions like this to get addressed...

The risk of this is that a business is expected to turn a profit. Not all do, but there are a number of requirements to show that you made a good faith effort to make a profit. If you go too many years without a profit, they will investigate your efforts with intent to classify you as a hobby, and you could be liable for the resulting back taxes...

Dr. Jones wrote:

A hobby can also be tax deductible- when you itemize

How is a hobby tax deductable? If so, I'm owed $1000s in refunds for all the high cost hobbies I've dabbled in :(

I think you have to make a profit at least 1 year in 5 in order to avoid problems with the IRS about deducting business expenses. This means that you have to have some income most years. Of course, $7 can be a profit and $7000 can be expenses on your 'off' years.

If you intend the hobby to produce income. I.E. - could the installation of your lights be an advertisement for your light installing services? Assuming you install some lights, and get paid - and report the payment - you might be able to deduct the costs

As I am no tax expert - Talk to your accountant and see what their take is

William,

And I thought I had heard just about every story until I saw this!
In a way, it's really funny to see just how stupid a govbernment can be. Maybe it's funny cos it didn't happen to me.

It sounds like you have it resolved for now. I was also thinking along the lines of another poster who said they are fishing for more things to tax and that maybe you registered the name of "High Country Lights" somewhere as a DBA. I don't think their systems are good enough to discover this on their own. At any rate, I would have filled it out with zeros and sent it back. This would have made a nice story for the local TV station ;-)

you talk to greg about all this? should i ask him when i go in for taxes about my lights?

evana wrote:

If your going to be charged as a business, theirs a few thing that might benifit you that you should look into before you dispute it.

look into a 1099 forum. ( you will need a very good accountant) I have one here if you need some advice.

you get 30% that you can use for electrical usaged for your new business, and during the summer month, your electric is use to prepare for the next and new season.

part of your morgage % is a rent to your office, that you are using to control the lights. all you need is a room with your computor in it to be an office.

heating and cooling your office is also a percent to write off on, even during the summer months.

vehicle usage to get your equipment. yes its small, .05 %. but thru the year it adds up. unless you claim milage and tolls. than you need proof and recites. but car payment is also a write off.

your phone is also part of your business. dont know the percent on it. but it also a part in it, along with your internet.

also your time per hour . thats where you need to justify an amount for your services.

you can make High County a businss and profit from losing money every year on tax write offs. you will have to get an accountant and do a little more paper work with your 1040.
before you act, talk with a local accountant that specailizes in 1099, might be worth your drive time.

hope this helps.
Evan

Richard Hamilton wrote:

William,

And I thought I had heard just about every story until I saw this!
In a way, it's really funny to see just how stupid a govbernment can be.

Yes, we are a pretty stupid country. But not as stupid as some.