Light-O-Rama Forums

sequencing

Guest guest

I was wondering how much time it usually takes to sequence a song. I have 16 channels that I will have and I started a "just for fun song." I am doing the animaniacs theme song. Just something short for me to start and learn the program better.

The reason I am asking is this song is just over 1 minute long. I have gone through about 9 seconds and I have spent over an hr on it already. Am I being to picky on what I am doing, is this normal, or as I do it more I will learn more and thus it will go faster? I am just wondering because it just seems like it is taking me forever to do just a little bit and when I think that I want to do 4 songs for christmas.... well that's kinda scary on the amount of time if It's going to take me a while for a minute of a song.

Many people fail to realize how long it does take to sequence some of these songs.

I spent an easy 3+ hours on each of my songs in the early days. As I got better at it, I was able to reduce that some. Once my display went up, I was able to sequence them quicker, because I knew exactly what an effect would look like.

I've always said you should have your design fairly well set in stone before you start to sequence. It will save you many hours of re-work in the long run.

I spent on my first song about 6 hours. I am really really picky.... Everything has to be perfect... I annoy myself greatly. Anyways. As it came closer to light up I could make them in 1-2 hours if I had to but I would rather not.

So yes, save a little time for sequencing.

And you can never be to picky. Just budget your time. As you learn the software it will take time then once you know it will speed up..

Zac

I layer it. I start by adding fake channels to the sequence. Say, something for the drum beat, something for the top notes, something for the vocals. I also create a fake channel where I can put markers that give me an idea to do something interesting there later, or to take advantage of a heavy, or to warn this is a dead spot that I need to put very little in.

I then go through and mark the drum beats (or just the major drum beats) in my fake channel. Then I go through and do the top notes in their fake channel. Then I go through and mark the vocals. Really, each one of these is optional. And if you have other interesting highlights in the song, you can mark those up instead. (Bells, cymbals, triangles, etc etc.)

So once I have these basics down and into my fake channels, and I know my times on them are correct, I go back and I layer effects and patterns onto my songs. If the work up to this point was creating the outline, then this is filling in the lines with color. Start with a group of objects and go through. Then the next group of objects. (Or when you come up with a small part of the song that is really interesting, just go for everything at once for that section.)

The idea is that you create your performance in layers. You should start out with the basic details, make sure they're solid, and then add in the flavor bit by bit. I think this also helps you concentrate on individual details at a time which makes it easier/faster work. I think I would be exceptionally slow if I tried to fully sequence a song in one shot from beginning to end.

Of course, this is opinion/preference, and not sequencing dogma.

Way too much ! My first song (rudolph the red nose reindeer) took
about 5 hours. I'm on my sixth song now, Dance of the sugar plumb fairies.
I am 6 hours into it , its 2min 11 sec and I still have 30 seconds to go.
The real trick on this song is that it has variable timing... each section
of the song has a slightly different tempo this makes copy and
paste of large sections hard to do. I also am being very picky.
I guess I should mention that this is for 64 channels. It's a labor
of love.. and it will look really nice when it's all done.

Tim

It seems to take me about 2-3 hours per minute of song. I dont always work a song straight from beginning to end. I start with tapping out a basic rythym to the song and setting my major scenes. Then on certain parts of the song , I know what I want to see so I will go and do that section. Each song is unique. Some are repetitive and you can do a lot of cutting and pasting in verses and choruses, while others it seems you have to attack note by note.

I agree with all the above. It takes me an average 2 to 3 hours per minute an average. I start with getting down the beat to the song, then other instruments, vocals and other highllights in the song. Then tweeking the final touches.

It does get better with time. Or at least it seems to.

I sequence like it's a video game. It ain't done until I feel like I won :].

Tom

It depends a lot on the song and number of channels. For instance, if I have 0.1 second timing for a song, it takes me about 3 hours or so per minute for a 64 channel sequence. On the other hand, if the song has a fast beat and I'm using 0.05 second for the same 64 channels, it will take me an additional hour or 2 per minute. Definately labor intensive.

But fun !

D.T.

That last answer made me think even more about how I sequence. How do you sequence? do you use the tapper, I've never tried but it sounds difficult until LORII comes out. Or do you just put it in with the on/fade...... items? If you do not use the tapper, what is the time that you use? 1/10 of a second? That's what I put because it was the smallest I could select. I never thought about going less then .1 seconds per "event"

I can honestly say that the sequencing thing will be the hardest part for me. I have been working on Barbra Streisand's Jingle Bells since January. I bet I have 40 to 60 hours in it already, and it's only half done. I have all the events done, and my 15 mini trees animated to my liking. There are only 129 more channels to animate and I'll be ready for Christmas!?! Then I'll only have 5 more songs to sequence left...

jeff

I'm playing a more traditional christmas. So far, I've sequenced: Holly Jolly Christmas, Jingle Bell Rock, Oh Christmas Tree, Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree, Theme Music to Charlie Brown's Christmas (Linus playing).

Occassionally work an hour or two.

When I'm finished, I'll have at least 12-14 songs sequenced. WOW! Not bad to be first year with music. Last year was only animation with no music.

I think I spent about eight hours working on my first full song and didn't even come close to finishing it, but I think that was becuase I was a little over zealous with my expectations and I'm a bit of a perfectionist with my development.

This year I hope to start smaller and get a good selection of songs done before the halloween so I can participate in the local lights competition.

On that note, if anyone would care to share a finished sequence or two, I'd really appreciate it.

- Gaines

I guess I am much like everyone else, 1 to 6 hours per minute depending on the song, the beat and what I want to do.

I go through and get the highlights of the song done, "Highlights" as in rifts, beats, scales, I don't use the tapper. The uncomplicated stuff I guess you would say.

Then the song could be used as it was sequenced but then I go through it several times more over several more weeks, and add in "specials". I don't think you could ever be "finished" with sequencing a peice.

I agree with getting the plan in stone before you begin, I went from an original plan of 60 channels to 160 channels and I may as well of tossed the stuff I did for the 60 channels, it didn't take as long but very close. So who ever said have it in Stone before you begin hear hear.

I am a noobie at it but I have my controllers built out and tested fully with the sequencing I have done and it is VER Y VERY cool to see it all come together after so many hours of work. I suppose I have about 40 minutes sequenced now. I started in early January.

At this point Im spending about 4 hours per minute per song,but Im also using .05 sec intervals and playing the song at 1/4 speed to get the timings perfect.I supose Ill get faster,but Im only doing 4 songs this year and with it not even june yet,it doesent matter.

I dont really care if it takes me this long as long as the timings are perfect.