Light-O-Rama Forums

Power supply

Bernie Moye

In the process of deciding how many controllers I will need to handle my planned light show, I have observed a potential problem with the power supply. The controllers can support 30 amps, however most of the breakers on my electrical box are 20 amps. Must I have someone reconfigure my electrical panel, or are there other choices?

Please advise,

Bernie

And in places where the lights controlled by the controller total to less than 20A, you can plug both sides into one circuit..

You need to start from the lights and work backwards. What will your total amp draw be?

30 amp controllers are broken down into 2 15 amp sides. It's possible to run many controllers off of one breaker. I run 4 controllers off of 2 20 amp circuits running about 70% led.

You have received many good suggestions.

DO NOT JUST REPLACE THE BREAKER!!!! The wire from the breaker must be at least the right gage if not the next size up. Putting a 30 Amp breaker on any thing less (larger size number) than a #10 AWG size wire will subject you to a fire hazard, NEC Code and building code infration. But the important things is that you put yourself and your family at risk of a house fire.

Max