Light-O-Rama Forums

EDM LCD FM Transmitter group buy

jonstacey1

Thats what I did. Wait to save $22 dollars or just get it. If I was ordering a few transmitters then yah I would wait. Maybe something happened to him. March 11th was the last time he posted here. Over at PC his last post was August 1st for the transmitters.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• taybrynn

• friskybri

• Surfing4Dough

• WayneKremer

Can anyone tell me if the device being talked about here, is much better then the Ramsey FM25B? I know the Ramsey won't give me the RDS feature, but I thought I would get other thoughts on this. I can get the Ramsey on Ebay already put together for $140 shipped.

That's awhile back. Hope he is hanging in there. I bet he is just on vacation or something. Anyhow, you are right on if it is worth the $22 for each transmitter. I've seen a few just go off and get it. I hope some type of group buy takes place on the RDS version of the transmitter. If not started by the end of August, I'll have to go off and just order one up myself. :(

bwaldrep, from what I have read, yes, the sound quality is much better than the Ramsey FM25B (which I currently have myself). You also get more power (though you should use it unless you really need it) and RDS.

Wayne

I dont have my RDS unit yet. Keep looking in mail for it. I have read all over the Internet on transmitters. From all the different websites and on here EDM is the king. Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet to this date. Their customer service is quick to answer any question you have. Try Yahoo edm transmitter group. I sent an e-mail and within two hours had a long reply. I did pay the $10 dollars for insurance probably didn't need it but you never know on shipping from another country. As far as the RDS I probably wont use it but figured it would be fun to play with. Plan on getting the station up and running few months early so more people know about it before Christmas. I might even get a Halloween display up this year if I get off my butt and sequence and get some Halloween decor.

If you are interested in an EDM transmitter and have not already, you should join the edmdesign Yahoo group. In that group there was this post:

If you want to get the new EDM-LCD-RDS we offer existing customers 10% discount for any order received this month for a RDS unit. Limit to 1 per customer. You need to prove your purchase from us to qualify. Contact us at edm@... Offer ends end of Aug 2009

This is about the same discount as a group buy.

By the way, some are asking about RDS. I've done a bit of research and documented it.

Excellent tutorials Steven. If you had it to do over again, would you just purchase the EDM transmitter with RDS built-in?

Stephen, good heads up. If that is the case, I'll take advantage of it and won't be in a separate group purchase. Thx!

Tim Dorr wrote:

If you had it to do over again, would you just purchase the EDM transmitter with RDS built-in?

Good question. Christmas lights is a hobby, and the #1 goal of any hobby (or life in general, IMHO) is to learn. After all, if your goal was only to put on a fantastic light show, you might as well pay an expert to do it for you. If your goal was to make money, then you would be that expert. But most of the members of this forum are here to learn.

And I don't mean just learn about how to build a light show. There are many other lessons to learn: How to cooperate with neighbors; How to build a better relationship with friends and family around Christmas lights; How to solve other problems; How does technology (LEDs, GFCI, antennas, software, RDS, etc.) work; How can I use Christmas lights to improve my patience; How to communicate with people better; How to schedule my time; How to plan; How to keep a positive attitude.

So I decided to learn about RDS by doing. Doing forced me to do more research. So yes, I am very happy I did all that work to get RDS working on the FM25B, the FM100B, and the EDM LCD.

On the other hand, if the EDM RDS transmitter was already available at the time, I wouldn't want to "reinvent the wheel", so in retrospect, I'm glad it wasn't available until this year, or I may have missed a chance to learn.

Very well put Steven. You are absolutely right on all counts, from my perspective. We work with what we've got at the time, and if it isn't out there, it becomes a DIY project.

Tim

Steven, I didn't read your post close enough. You must be an existing EDM customer (with a previous purchase) in order to qualify for the 10% discount. So...a separate group buy would still be good.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got my RDS unit yesterday. Figures I am on the road for a few days. Thats the first thing I am going to do when I get home is put it together. It took about 19 days from order till delivery

joshua wrote:

Steven, do you think you could do a rds mod for a ramsey fm 10b?

It would be technically possible. The FM10 seems to use the BA-1404 stereo transmitter chip, which has the pilot out on pin 13, and modulation in on pin 12. With a resistor, a couple of capacitors, and some cable, it could be interfaced to an RDS encoder.

But you will end up spending money for an RDS encoder, plus a lot of time getting it connected and set up. Then you will have the basic problem with the FM10B that it is not PLL controlled, meaning your frequency will drift as the temperature of the transmitter changes.

LOVE my new EDM transmitter. Haven't got to the RDS function yet but the sound is really good even with using the antenna that comes with it. my hole viewing area had great sound. Got down the street and around the corner before started to get some static. Cant wait till I put up an antenna on the ruff. Then it should go farther. Been running Zara radio all day. Neighbors love the commercial free radio.

• 4 weeks later...

vipzach wrote:

I emailed EDM about a group buy for us and also over at the PC forums. They replied and said that we could set one up, but that somebody named Scott had handled them in the past. I PM's a couple people over at PC to make sure I wasn't going to step on any toes if I set this up.

Once i know that I'm not going to make somebody mad for setting it up, I will get it started. :)

Any update on the group sale for the EDM transmitters? I have been waiting most of the year for such a group sale, but it is getting closer to November set-up and I'm starting to get concerned about it shipping in time if wait much longer to order (as I am sure quite a few others are as well). I too have sent multiple PM's to taybrynn (Scott) regarding this without any replies on the subject.

Are there still some here that haven't ordered yet since they are waiting for the group buy? Should we proceed with a "different" group buy...soon?!?

Surfing4Dough wrote:

vipzach wrote:
I emailed EDM about a group buy for us and also over at the PC forums. They replied and said that we could set one up, but that somebody named Scott had handled them in the past. I PM's a couple people over at PC to make sure I wasn't going to step on any toes if I set this up.

Once i know that I'm not going to make somebody mad for setting it up, I will get it started. :)

Any update on the group sale for the EDM transmitters? I have been waiting most of the year for such a group sale, but it is getting closer to November set-up and I'm starting to get concerned about it shipping in time if wait much longer to order (as I am sure quite a few others are as well). I too have sent multiple PM's to taybrynn (Scott) regarding this without any replies on the subject.

Are there still some here that haven't ordered yet since they are waiting for the group buy? Should we proceed with a "different" group buy...soon?!?

Well, I got impatient waiting on a response from Scott. I have already ordered and received my mobile black box. I did receive a PM back from him recently and he has been having some health issues and not really able to keep up, so he is not ignoring people about a group buy, he is just not logging into PC right now.

If I remember correctly, a group buy would take a minimum of 20 people and it was 10% off.

I personally don't really have the time to handle a group buy right now. I would be glad to try and help somebody though.

edit: My suggestion would be to have the group buy also posted over on PC.

I just purchased it. The only savings would have been 20 bucks. Just order it. Its getting close to crunch time. It takes over a month when you purchase it in a group. If it started today you wouldn't get it until November.