Light-O-Rama Forums

What to buy

Guest guest

I was going to buy my first LOR item and it was going to be the LOR1602withMP3 director. Someone down this end of the world highlighted the fact that the freight was going to be heinous to send with all the cabling and box etc. So to save on the freight I am going to buy just the boards.

What i need to know is what do I need to buy from LOR in the way of software/firmware/semirigidware and so on.

What would the beginner LORer need to buy (obviously not including lights and extension cords) to get what is ONE completely functional LOR1602with MP3 director. I will be getting the cabling and waterproof box on this end.

Cheers

For the software...you should just get the extended version just because it is the same price as the basic version....actually it doesn't matter, because either way, you will get the FREE upgrade to LORII. I don't know about the controllers....ask a specialized LORist

Luke

I'm sorry for hassling everyone, I havent really had a reply to my original question, but I really need to know this information this week so I can get in my order in for the sale,

I have even tried to ring LOR in the US when I have a chance but because I am on the otherside of the world, I seem to always ring when they are closed.

I want to buy the equivalent of an LOR1602WMP3 but without the power cables and the waterproof box, (to save on freight costs) What will I need to buy?

I am guessing a

Director card $199.95

CTB 16D with Heatsink $165.95

SPK - ST software $79.95

Is there anything else i would need to get from LOR at the same time to either link the 2 cards or to run the software, also do I need 12V transformer to power the director card? Are there other heatsinks I should buy?

Can someone please explain how the director card links up to the CTB16D and how the director card is powered.

Sorry to sound so pushy, but I'm not too keen on getting it sent out to NZ, only to find out I needed to get somthing else and have to order it later and then get charged another chunk of freight,

Cheers, and there are free beers (when you come to NZ and see my display) for anyone who answers the question!! :-)

Here is the DC-MP3 flyer covering basics, and here's the DC-MP3 manual. For power, it says:

Power:
Usually power is supplied by the RS485 connection and no power brick is required. In some cases the controller may not be able to supply power and a power brick should be added. If the unit fails to run using RS485 connector power, use a 12vdc power brick to power the unit.

Take a look on the LOR support page. They have a ton of hookup information and product details that are fun to read. ;)

Tom

The MP3 director is connected to the CTB-16D via CAT5e cable.

Someone answered your question about power.

Doesn't sounds as if you will need anything else.

Thanks for that guys, it kind of helps,

Unfortunately for absolute beginner newbies such as myself, the FAQ relys alot on people being abe to understand the electrical technical jargon, I have no idea what a power brick is, the image that pops in my head is a red chimney brick with 2 wires coming out of it. Maybe in NZ we have different terminology for it,

Trust me I have read all the FAQ pages, the data sheets and the user guides but when I do not know what an RS485 is or a CAT5e cable is, it makes them very hard to understand, myself I'm a hands on kind of guy, once I have the parts here in front of me I have no problem understanding what they are, but seeing as I have never seen these parts it makes it very difficult to understand.

It appears that the FAQ has to rely on people having had some experience with LOR equipment or previous computer modding experience. For the absolute beginners (like me) that need to start somewhere, maybe a few pictures of what the parts are would be most helpful, and maybe a diagram of how the parts are connected would assist with mental pictures before the parts arrive.

Yes I know that someone with as little experience maybe should not be playing with dangerous electrical products he knows nothing about, but how am I to learn if I do not ask quesions or jump in to my eyeballs and do somthing. The main point of this question is to save myself grief and freight costs.

Cheers for any further help people can provide.

Chris,

Fairly straightforward.

Order one DC-MP3, one CTB16DWHS and one starter pack.

Connect the DC-MP3 to CTB16DWHS with the included cat5 cable (thats the same cable which would be used to network PC together using ethernet) The DC-MP3 is then powered form the CTB16DWHS. Talk of a "power brick" refers to an AC to DC plug-top adapter and would not be required in this scenario.

Produce your sequences / shows using the software, load them into the SD memory card which is supplied using the, again supplied USB cable, power up the CTB16DWHS and away they go :D

At least thats the way I understand it, but I have been known to be wrong.......:shock:

Martin

Grandad, you are a fantastic gentleman, When you are in NZ I will buy you copious beer!! Thats exactly the info I needed to read!!

Thank you very much

Chris,

You are more than welcome!

When we come to Auss to visit the rellies we may well hop over to take you up on the offer of the beer....:D

Good luck.

Martin