Light-O-Rama Forums

Projector

jstein

I am planning on using a projector in my show next year, but does anyone have any ideas on how to turn the projector off when it is not in use? I would love to hae something ready like this for July 4, but if it involves purchasing a new projector I'm not sure. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

I will be using a projector next year as well. I plan on having it hooked up to a timer and turning it on about a half hour before the show and turning off about a half hour later.

jstein wrote:

I am planning on using a projector in my show next year, but does anyone have any ideas on how to turn the projector off when it is not in use? I would love to hae something ready like this for July 4, but if it involves purchasing a new projector I'm not sure. Thanks for any help that can be provided!

You could use one of the LOR channels to turn it on and off. You could also use a X-10 module.

I thought some of them could be turned on and off using the computer. Guess that means a new projector since mine is too old to be computer controlled.

kingsislandtechservices wrote:

the problem with that is some do not power on when power is applied i would have done it that way if mine doesnt go into a standby mode when pluged in

thats exactly what mine does when it is plugged in.

Mine has a standby mode as well if not used within a set time as a power saver feature.

Like others have stated even with power applied some might not come on so you have to physically turn it on. With mine though I can leave on and in standby and once a signal is sent it will turn on.

Texan78 wrote:

Mine has a standby mode as well if not used within a set time as a power saver feature.

Like others have stated even with power applied some might not come on so you have to physically turn it on. With mine though I can leave on and in standby and once a signal is sent it will turn on.

If you don't mind me asking, what brand do you have? I bought mine off of ebay and it is anywhere from 3 to 5 years old. Odd thing is the bulb had barely been used. Although I know it could have been reset and used for a while to give that appearance.

jstein wrote:

Texan78 wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, what brand do you have? I bought mine off of ebay and it is anywhere from 3 to 5 years old. Odd thing is the bulb had barely been used. Although I know it could have been reset and used for a while to give that appearance.

I am using this one....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116389&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Projectors-_-ViewSonic-_-24116389

It is pricey, but it is cheaper them most on the market and the performance far outs weights the price compared to other units. You can buy it at I think office depot for the same price you can buy it online after shipping.

This doesn't have RS233 connections but you don't need them. It has an S-Video connection and what I have done is bought a S-Video/CAT5 dongle.

http://www.svideo.com/svideobalun1.html

You will need two of them, one for the projector and one for the computer IF your video card accepts S-Video like mine does. If not you will need to looking into other options.

I went that route because it is easier and cheaper to run CAT5 for my main run then it would be for me to run a S-Video cable from my computer to my projector.

I have two CAT5 cables one for my LOR and one for my projector running from my computer through the attic to a gang box outside. Then when it is time to set up, I just run one CAT5 to my controllers, and the other to my projector with the dongle from that outdoor gang box and I have a permanent outdoor connection. Simple, easy, and looks nice and don't have to worry about running cables each year.

Thanks so much for the help, this gives me some good direction and actually when you said a bit pricey I got a little scared, but that not TOO bad. Considering many projectors can easily cost more than that, I might jsut be able to pick up that one hear very soon!

Yea some would consider it pricey. IMO I think it is a very good price compared to others on the market and the performance of it is incredible.

The throw distance is 5-20' and can be used for rear projection which how I am using mine. DLP technology which doesn't make that much difference outdoors, but it helps. 180w bulb 2200 lumens, projection size is 3-13' which is perfect for any application. I am happy with it for the money. Not cheap, but not overly expensive, just a good nice affordable projector compared to others.

• 1 month later...

Texan78 wrote:

Yea some would consider it pricey. IMO I think it is a very good price compared to others on the market and the performance of it is incredible.

The throw distance is 5-20' and can be used for rear projection which how I am using mine. DLP technology which doesn't make that much difference outdoors, but it helps. 180w bulb 2200 lumens, projection size is 3-13' which is perfect for any application. I am happy with it for the money. Not cheap, but not overly expensive, just a good nice affordable projector compared to others.

i just ordered ViewSonic PJ513DB from amazon.com (was cheaper). i was wondering, what do you use to project the image on? do you use a projector screen or would anything white work?

I use rear projection. I have a 2x4 frame made with a shower curtain liner stapled to it. It works great.

I have been asked how I keep my flatscreen dry having it outside.;)