Light-O-Rama Forums

Software issues

Guest guest

Any ideas on why my computer won't install the LOR software. It says it can't update a file needed and it stops installation. The file it gets hung up on is a .dll file. The file on my computer is where it needs to be. Dan or anyone have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just so everyone understands, this IS an official newbie post. :laughing:

Matt,

What OS are you running ? 98se, me or XP

also do you have the demo of LOR install? if so back- up your LOR files and uninstall LOR Demo...

LightoramaJohn is be hear Soon:waycool:

Jerry Plak

I'm running XP and I have the demo installed. Thats what I don't get, the demo is installed and runs fine. Oh well, you know what they say, the computer is as smart as the person using it! I'll mess with it more tonight at home.

I think several folks have had the problem you describe when loading the production version over the demo... especially on XP.

If you have done any development on the demo system, copy or move your sequences and music to a save directory and uninstall the demo. Reboot, just for good measure to clear any registry issues(?) and install your full version. That should clear up any install issues.

Once installed and configured and LOR creates all the needed directories, you can copy back your work.

If that does not clear it up, holler back to the thread. The good folks at LOR can surely give you an exact response.

--Bob

EDIT - AFTERTHOUGHT - Also make sure you have enough user rights when you go to install. It sounds like you do or you wouldn't have gone as far as you did, but its always good to check.

Ok, I got Light-O-Rama work fine. Why am I posting here? Well the first time I installed LOR I did so OVER the Demo acendently and I never noticed I had done so untill I had to uninstall for some reason.

--Daniel L

Well, I've been messing with it tonight. It starts the install process and then stops on scrrun.dll. I've uninstalled the demo and that did nothing to help. So right now I am stumped with the whole thing. Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

So is it while that file is copying? Scrrun.dll is a windows file that is used for scripting. If it's trying to copy over that file while it is in use that may be where you run into your trouble. I'm sure you've tried to install the program immediately after restarting? You might also want to try and kill any non-system critical tasks in your task manager. Especially if you see one call wscript.exe (that is the windows script host). Also try clicking on start>run>type msconfig>press enter click on the startup tab and deselect anything that you know what it is that you can live without opening on startup.

Honestly though before you try any of this it would be extremely helpful for me if you would post the full error message. Even if part of it is in HEX 0AFA0 (something like that). I'm pretty sure it's trying to copy over a file that is in use and that is where the error is coming from.

Hey also, have you tried installing the program while in safe mod? You get to safe mod by pressing f8 right after your bios finishes post (power on self test).

The most common cause for this is that some other application is running during the install.

Save the install EXE to your desktop. Then stop every application on your PC. Everyting that you can stop, stop! stuff in your system tray, anything...

Then try the install. It may still take two tries. This solves the problem 90% of the time.

I had roughly the same problem trying to install a few months back. Everyone here has been through it before too.

I had to stop my spydoctor and norton was running in the background, and a few other applications for that moment. The tried it and had no problem.

Allright, I will try that out tonight Dan. I had some of the same problems installing the demo version, but I can't remember everything I did to get to install. Thanks to everyone for your help, I will let ya'll (its a Texas thing) know what happens as soon as I get to doing that.

LightORama wrote:

The most common cause for this is that some other application is running during the install.

So my assumption is correct then that something else is using the scrrun.dll file when it is trying to be copied over?

neo8820 wrote:

LightORama wrote:

So my assumption is correct then that something else is using the scrrun.dll file when it is trying to be copied over?

If it is always scrrun.dll that is the problem, then a solution is to use Microsoft's own installation for that file. Then after that completes, you can re-reun the LOR install and it should be happy. Links are below depending on which operation system you are running.

For Windows 2000 and XP

For Windows 98, ME, and NT 4

dslowik wrote:

neo8820 wrote:
LightORama wrote:

If it is always scrrun.dll that is the problem, then a solution is to use Microsoft's own installation for that file. Then after that completes, you can re-reun the LOR install and it should be happy. Links are below depending on which operation system you are running.

For Windows 2000 and XP

For Windows 98, ME, and NT 4

David,

Thanks for the information.

Alright, I am up and running!! Woohoo!!!!:waycool:

I went in and stopped running a few programs from my taskmanager and that did the trick. Thanks to everyone who posted tips for this. You might have just saved Christmas for me.... (tear)

A little over dramatic..... could be.....

Thanks again.