Light-O-Rama Forums

Best Program to create webpages (freeware)????

stanward

Hello,

I do not know the best webpage creator/editor program to use. It is so sad, as I have been familiar with computers for a very long time. However, I do have a webpage and I do edit it from time to time............. using notepad. I program the html language on notepad and upload it to my webserver.

I think I gotta get out of this bad habit and start to use a "real" webpage editor program. I've used Netscape Navigator once or twice, but do not want to install it just to edit webpages.

Stan

thedementedelf wrote:

Take a look at Joomla. http://www.joomla.org It's a free program and wait until you see the features.

Is there a program I can just download to my pc just to do webpage creation and editing?

I already have a website paid for, I just need to create the webpage(s) and upload them to my webserver.

Thanks,

Stan

stanward wrote:

Hello,

I do not know the best webpage creator/editor program to use. It is so sad, as I have been familiar with computers for a very long time. However, I do have a webpage and I do edit it from time to time............. using notepad. I program the html language on notepad and upload it to my webserver.

I think I gotta get out of this bad habit and start to use a "real" webpage editor program. I've used Netscape Navigator once or twice, but do not want to install it just to edit webpages.

Stan

Actually notepad is not a bad habit if you know what you are doing. This is what they teach you to use in school because they want you to learn and know the code. If you know what you are doing then notepad is the best thing to use.

I use it or I use the WYSWYG editor straight from my sever to edit each page. There is always dreamweaver which is a web page creator program but it tends to not follow W3C standards most of the time and clutters your code, but it is the most popular.

Do you need something just to edit your pages or create them?

Texan78 wrote:

Actually notepad is not a bad habit if you know what you are doing. This is what they teach you to use in school because they want you to learn and know the code. If you know what you are doing then notepad is the best thing to use.

I use it or I use the WYSWYG editor straight from my sever to edit each page. There is always dreamweaver which is a web page creator program but it tends to not follow W3C standards most of the time and clutters your code, but it is the most popular.

Do you need something just to edit your pages or create them?

Hi,

I want to do both, create webpages and then edit them. I am a bit sick and tired of using notepad. I want a GUI to create and edit webpages now. I think I may have to opt for installing Netscape Navigator?

Stan

thedementedelf wrote:

Take a look at Joomla. http://www.joomla.org It's a free program and wait until you see the features.

Good thought, Elf. And I will add to this... Mambo is practically the same identical thing. That confused me when I was looking at Joomla a couple years ago. Thus, some of the templates available for Joomla will also work with Mambo.

Some hosting companies will provide these tools and other tools for free as a part of the monthly hosting fee because they are "Open Source" tools. I don't use Joomla for my site, but it is a nice tool. Our site is hosted at http://SturdyLink.net and those tools are readily available in the control panel so that with just a few clicks of the mouse, they can be automatically installed (by Fantastico) on your server and ready to use. Several other hosting companies offers these tools too, so if you are interested in installing the software, the first thing to do is ask your hosting company. They may already be on your server and you don't know it. It would save you a LOT of trouble downloading the files from Joomla, uploading to your server, and then having to configure it.