Light-O-Rama Forums

Pre-Sequenced Shows Available Later This Year

Guest guest

Ok...I'm torn. I'm trying to save money, but I'm also trying to get the most bang for my buck.

My wife has already authorized my purchase of some Light-o-Rama products (not that I need her permission...I'm the King of My Castle...when the Queen isn't home).

So here's my thinking...

My Option #1 for $580 + shipping -- 16 Channels -- "Show in a Box"

• LOR1602 w/Show Director & MP3 Player -- $500 on sale
  • SPK-ST Generic Starter Package Software (purchased separately) for $80

My Option #2 for $620 -- 32 Channel Package

• 2-LOR1602W
  • SC485
  • Light-o-Rama Software
  • 2 50-ft CAT5E Cables

In other words, the difference is $40 and 16 channels. But Option #1 does not requre a computer, whereas Option #2 does require a computer. Is the extra $60 worth the extra 16 channels and the hassle of wiring the cable through your house to get from the PC to the Controller, and keeping your computer on at all times?

What's the thought of the board?

And....all packages state: If you are concerned that you may not have what it takes to create a show, rest assured that new pre-sequenced musical shows will make this package a truly plug-and-play system. (Pre-sequenced shows available later this year).

Which makes my question: Is there a fee to download these pre-sequenced shows? If so, how much? And how do we synch these to Trans-Siberian Orchestra or Mannheim Steamroller or whomever we choose to synch.

I know it takes out some of the fun of sequencing your own shows, but if you don't have the time, it may make sense.

What are the thoughts from the board?

Thanks!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

In other words, the difference is $40 and 16 channels. But Option #1 does not requre a computer, whereas Option #2 does require a computer. Is the extra $60 worth the extra 16 channels and the hassle of wiring the cable through your house to get from the PC to the Controller, and keeping your computer on at all times?

Paul,

Actually option number 2 does NOT require a computer as you can run in stand alone mode without music. It might be a good option to start out with and go for broke next year with synched musical sequences if that is where you are wanting to go.

Jeff

I used over 100 channels without a computer connection in 2005! Just say no to the same song 10 times a night!

It's all going to depend on your situation. If it was me, I would go with the 32 channels. Why? Well, I have no need for standalone at the present time, although as Jeff said, all the D models are standalone compatible anyway. Plus, I operate an fm transmitter, and I would have to run the cable to that, whether I use a computer or the LOR mp3. The fm transmitter is inside my garage, so it's simple to run the patch cord from it to my computer, in the same area. And, it's only one communication line running out of the garage, to the first LOR board outside, so it's no big deal. So to sum all of this up, for my particular situation, I would be wasting the money to buy the mp3 board, since I already have all of that set up in my computer. But if you don't have a computer set up, to devote to your show, the mp3 board is a great alternative.

Plus, I operate an fm transmitter, and I would have to run the cable to that, whether I use a computer or the LOR mp3.

I was actually going to buy the Ramsey FM25B on EBay. It's currently for sale, fully assembled and operational, for about $150 + shipping. Seems to me if I'm not going to have music, then LOR is just an expensive way to get blinking lights.

I'm just concerned about upgrading hardware/software in the future.

Thanks!

Paul

BvrBru1 wrote:

not going to have music, then LOR is just an expensive way to get blinking lights.

Actually if you look at a lot of the comments made by people outside of our community about the infamous WOW video, LOR is just an expensive way to annoy the neighbors (Comment most often viewed on the internet was "I would hate to live next door to that guy"). More often than not, people on here are trying to sequence like the big boys (and girls) and missing the mark badly. The result is nauseating. There are several people on here that truely understand sequencing but for every one Annalisa, Darryl, or Ron there are many more that just don't get it. As far as just being an expensive way to get blinking lights, I hope you have more imagination that that. If not, order a prebuilt sequence and listen to the same song 10 times a night until the neighbors get angry.

Jeff

Sorry if my post offended you but I am tired of narrow minded people dissing others ways of doing things.

>>>Seems to me if I'm not going to have music, then LOR is just an expensive way to get blinking lights. <<<<

LOR is not just about blinking lights. There are plenty of beautiful displays that are controlled by LOR, that do not include synced music. LOR is all about control. It's a way to control the lights, and the show, any way you want it. I use LOR a lot to do animation and different shows in my display. I also use it for synced lights. I also use it to control fog machines, bubble machines, strobes, etc. LOR is much more than controlling a blinking light show, it's total control of what you feel your show/display should be.

"Sorry, I sent this before I read Jeff's response" his said it all.

Sorry if my post aoffended you but I am tired of narrow minded people dissing others ways of doing things.

No offense taken. Probably a bad choice of words on my part.

I mean that if you are going to do something, do it right. Excite the senses...have both audio and video.

Back to the original thread topic...

Dan -- how is the Pre-sequenced shows going to work? Fee per download? Fee per channel?

Thanks!

Paul

Paul,

Dan -- how is the Pre-sequenced shows going to work? Fee per download? Fee per channel?

We're negotiating for "name brand" songs by various artists. We intend to sell this two ways. 1) downloadable 16/32/48 channel sequences w/MP3 & setup manual for people to integrate into their shows using their PCs or DC-MP3 units. 2) Fully formed shows on SD cards (multiple animation & musical sequences) w/setup manual for people who don't want to fuss with a PC at all (commercial.)

We want to charge a fixed fee per sequence set with MP3 & manual. For the formed show, it will be the same fee plus a fee for the SD card and to put it together. For the first case our current thinking is $20. The SD card case requires manual work, we haven't come up with a pricing model yet.

John

BvrBru1 wrote:

I mean that if you are going to do something, do it right. Excite the senses...have both audio and video.

BTW... is there any feeling in the group on what would take it too far? To overstimulate or oversaturate the senses? Is this what Jeff was talking about when he talked about missing the mark, or... ?

jmccorm wrote:

BvrBru1 wrote:

BTW... is there any feeling in the group on what would take it too far? To overstimulate or oversaturate the senses? Is this what Jeff was talking about when he talked about missing the mark, or... ?

What's too far?? IMO, just have fun. That's the main thing. You're always going to have people that want to criticize your display. But you'll have lots that love it... Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Just spend some time on it, tweak it the way you like it and by all means enjoy yourself!

Everyone has opinions. Some think blowmolds are tacky. I personally am not an inflatable fan... others love them. Different strokes...

If you can watch it 10 times and still enjoy it, you've hit the sweet spot. If you get a headache after 30 seconds, you're at the other end of the spectrum.

Glenn

LightORamaJohn wrote:

We're negotiating for "name brand" songs by various artists. We intend to sell this two ways. 1) downloadable 16/32/48 channel sequences w/MP3 & setup manual for people to integrate into their shows using their PCs or DC-MP3 units. 2) Fully formed shows on SD cards (multiple animation & musical sequences) w/setup manual for people who don't want to fuss with a PC at all (commercial.)

We want to charge a fixed fee per sequence set with MP3 & manual. For the formed show, it will be the same fee plus a fee for the SD card and to put it together. For the first case our current thinking is $20. The SD card case requires manual work, we haven't come up with a pricing model yet.

John

John,

I just ordered your starter package with a 16 channel 30 amp controller. Will anything you mentioned above work with what I have? I'm not very musically talented. I need all the help I can get.

Thanks,

Michael B

You're always going to have people that want to criticize your display.

This isn't directed at Jeremy. I love the fact that people can always post on here that "what is the point without music" and they don't consider that a criticism of someone else's display but if I defend my way or offer people others ways to do things, I am a big jerk. Well guess what people, Chuck himself doesn't synch his display (or hasn't in the past) to music! There are others ways to do things. Chuck always to first crawl, then walk, then run. In the world of computerization, crawling means start small, learn the software and have fun. By Christmas this year, you will already be walking because you will understand how the software works and with the help of people like Don who will share their sequences, you will be able to see how certain effects are accomplished. By next year, you will be ready to run.

This is an encouraging post, so put out your flame throwers and don't flame me.

Jeff

Bill Hoffman wrote:

LOR is not just about blinking lights. There are plenty of beautiful displays that are controlled by LOR, that do not include synced music.

I will probably run my display in animation mode only from the time I get them up until the official lighting. Why? People know what I'm going to do this year, so it will be a teaser of sorts.

You can do a lot with animation only ... imagination is your only limit.

Don wrote:

You can do a lot with animation only ... imagination is your only limit.

Exactly. People can do a lot if they have imagination. One person did a pretty great display last year using only 16 channels but it looked like he used many more. You don't have to have 64 or more channels to have a great display. Heck you don't even have to have computer control!

(Apparently I am viewed as bashing other people's displays for defending those that do not sequence to music. That is not the case at all. If you know me, you know I don't do that. There are many ways to do a display and all should be honored not just one person's narrow minded way. Hey, this one's for you! :P)

Jeff

Michael,

I just ordered your starter package with a 16 channel 30 amp controller. Will anything you mentioned above work with what I have? I'm not very musically talented. I need all the help I can get.

Yes. The idea is to provide MP3s with coordinated lighting animation sequences. In your case, you would use these (through the LOR software) on your PC. Your PC would direct the controller and play the MP3s. You would also probably make your own sequences (musical and non-musical) and put all these things together to make your show.

John

I think we all should remember that not everyones imagination, vision, or budget is the same. PC is a collection of people from all walks of life. We are all here trying to learn more to add to our display. If that is computer control, wireframes, inflatables, blowmolds, or any number of other items. Not everyone can spend the thousands of dollars required to have a large display or 100+ channels of computer control.

Just remember the Christmas holiday season is not about who has the biggest or best light display. It is about celebrating your religious beliefs and sharing that with others. Everyone celebrates this differently so why wouldn't our displays be just a different.

Chris

LightORamaJohn wrote:

Paul,

John

So, lets say I want to do Trans-Siberian Orchestra's "Christmas Eve Sarajevo" (also known as 'Carol of the Bells'), it would be $20 for that sequence + song? Or is it $20 for an entire show?

Say, for example, I want to incorporate these songs into a show.

1. Wizards in Winter by TSO (short for "Trans-Siberian Orchestra")
  2. A Mad Russian's Christmas by TSO
  3. Christmas Eve Sarajevo by TSO
  4. Queen of Winter's Night by TSO

Let's say I have 16 channels

So, what's the company's line of thinking on pricing on this?

1. $80 (4 songs @ $20 each), or
  2. $20 for all 4 songs.

May I suggest...

1. $10 per set of 8 channels ($10 for 8 channels, $20 for 16, $30 for 32, $40 for 48, etc)
  2. Have a catalog of songs and artists at the ready

One thing that would need to be worked out is the logisitcs. How do you import the sequence? In other words, how do I make my already named channels ("Front Window Outline", "Left Driveway," "Right Driveway," etc.) import the new sequence.

Thanks!

Paul

Jeff_Womack wrote:

This isn't directed at Jeremy. I love the fact that people can always post on here that "what is the point without music" and they don't consider that a criticism of someone else's display but if I defend my way or offer people others ways to do things, I am a big jerk.
Jeff

Likewise, I wasn't trying to imply that Jeff was a critisizm of anyone's display. My point was only that some people think my hobby is stupid, waste of time, waste of money, etc... Surely you will or have already come across them at some point. Forget them! Just enjoy yourself and do what YOU like. You may come up with the next greatest thing since flagpole Mega trees!

And for the record, I like all displays. My comments about inflatables, was only that I wouldn't put them up in my yard. I look forward every year to see what others have done.

Jeremy Wiles wrote:

Jeff_Womack wrote:

This isn't directed at Jeremy. I love the fact that people can always post on here that "what is the point without music" and they don't consider that a criticism of someone else's display but if I defend my way or offer people others ways to do things, I am a big jerk.
Jeff

Likewise, I wasn't trying to imply that Jeff was a critisizm of anyone's display. My point was only that some people think my hobby is stupid, waste of time, waste of money, etc... Surely you will or have already come across them at some point. Forget them! Just enjoy yourself and do what YOU like. You may come up with the next greatest thing since flagpole Mega trees!

And for the record, I like all displays. My comments about inflatables, was only that I wouldn't put them up in my yard. I look forward every year to see what others have done.

Did this all start with my "it's just an expensive way to make lights blink" comment?

I didn't mean it as a criticism or anything. I think my comments were interpreted in a fashion that I wasn't trying to convey.

Did anyone see "Ocean's 12." Remember the laser light security system that the Ocean's 12 team thought was inpenetrable? It was just a bunch of laser lights going across the floor in a random fashion.

But the other theif guy, he choreographed a whole dance timed (dare I say "synched") to music to cross that floor.

All I was trying to say was that if I were to drive by a house with lights blinking in some fashion that seems random, then I won't stop to watch the rest. I won't appreciate what the homeowner was trying to accomplish. I won't appreciate all the hard work, long hours, and excitement that he went through to bring this display to me.

However, If I drive by, and I see a sign that says "Tune radio to 9X.Xfm, and I see that the lights are blinking/flashing/fading/shimmering in synch with the music, I'll find that much more entertaining. I will stop my car and say "Wow...what did that guy do to do this? I want to do the same thing with my home."

That's all I was trying to say. I wasn't trying to criticize or anything.

We cool again?

Paul