Light-O-Rama Forums

one channel staying on

MikeLand

I went out to get the newspaper this morning and found one window still on. This is just one string of 100 lights on one channel that is on at about half intensity. I didn't have time to troubleshoot this morning so I just unplugged it until I got home.

I plugged it back in and they came on and stayed on at half intensity. I unplugged the controller with this strand plugged into it. The lights went out but when I plugged it back in they came back on. Only this one channel came on. I unloaded LOR and restart the computer. While it was rebooting I checked and the lights were still on. I unplugged the controller again while the computer was rebooting. I plugged them back in and they came back on.

I disabled shows and started hardware utility. I did lights off. checked and still on. set to twinkle and they twinkled but stayed on at half intensity the whole time. They never went fully off. They did go up to full intensity but not off.

The controller is a CTB16D with version 4 firmware, I think. Could be 2 I don't remember.

Is there anything else I can try to get this channel working right again? It had been working fine up until this morning. I have no problem with any other channels on this controller or the other 5 controllers.

Thanks for any help.

I got a chance to look at the card but didn't see anything wrong. I had a channel in another controller that was not in use and have re-programmed sequences to use that channel. So at least those lights will not stay on all the time.

I'd still like to know how to fix the stuck on channel though.

Try plugging in another strings of lights or a table lamp, etc. Can you control the channel via HWU? If not, it's probably a bad triac. Might want give LOR a buzz for additional help/advice.

If it does work then it might be the string of lights. If they are LED, you might need to add an additional load to the channel to help the triac turn off.

i have the same problem but with 2 channels...3 times ive come out in the morning and the top front outline and bottom front outline are on 50% (only clear, not the red or green outlines)

i had updated to the latest firmware so i could use the new features in LOR 2 but doing that shut off one of my controllers completely so i reverted back to the previous version and now it works but i get the 50% on those 2 channels after the show goes off...still waiting on a reply back on the thread about my update problem

I get this error once in a while. I'll look out and see a channel, two or Three still on after the show ends. I then Disable the show in the computer and then re-enable it. It seems pretty random to me. Once it was my Red Icicles and another it was the Tree 4 and 6 in Red. These are on different controllers so I know it is not a controller problem so I am assuming that it is a problem in S2.

I have a reply from Dan. "It sounds like the triac (electronic switch) on that channel has 1/2 failed. There are two halves to the switch and in your case it looks like 1/2 of the switch has fused on. There is nothing that can be done but replace the triac."

So it looks like a repair is in order.

I've moved what was on that channel to another spare channel for the rest of the season. I'm glad I had an empty channel.

Thanks to all for the troubleshooting help.