Light-O-Rama Forums

Automating Enable/Disable of shows, is it possible?

HowardShank

Is it possible through whatever means, command line, registry setting, file update, etc. to automatically enable/disable LOR shows? I'm not looking to modify the shows or change the order. I just want to enable/disable automagically.

For instance, hooking my system up to a rain gauge and determining if a show should automatically be disabled for the day if it detects excess rain.

Is this possible?

I notice there is no "service" running. Changing the value of the registry key "state" from 1 to 2 and back to 1 is not recognized by the running control panel and the control panel requires someone to actually click the mouse to change the state.

Thanks
Howard

HowardShank wrote:

Is it possible through whatever means, command line, registry setting, file update, etc. to automatically enable/disable LOR shows? I'm not looking to modify the shows or change the order. I just want to enable/disable automagically.

For instance, hooking my system up to a rain gauge and determining if a show should automatically be disabled for the day if it detects excess rain.

Is this possible?

I notice there is no "service" running. Changing the value of the registry key "state" from 1 to 2 and back to 1 is not recognized by the running control panel and the control panel requires someone to actually click the mouse to change the state.

Thanks
Howard

You could hook the rain gauge into a trigger input on a controller - then setup a trigger show to override what is running. This is a new feature in 2.1.12 + may require some tweaking but would work.

Harrison

The schedule editor creates two files: weeksched.lsc and yearsched.lsc. Find these files (their location is usually at the same level as the Sequences and Audio folders.

If your "normal" show is scheduled in the Week schedule, then make a copy of weeksched.lsc. Call it something like weeksched_normal.lsc.

Now use the schedule editor to make your "rain" schedule. This may be just a schedule with no shows or a "rain" show that just plays an announcement that says you're down because of rain. Save this schedule and make a copy of the weeksched.lsc file, called weeksched_rain.lsc.

The LOR control panel continually monitors the weeksched.lsc and yearsched.lsc files. When your system detects rain, have the software copy weeksched_rain.lsc to weeksched.lsc. When your system detects that the rain has stopped, have it copy weeksched_normal.lsc to weeksched.lsc.

If the file is copied while a show is currently running, the show will shutdown cleanly after the current musical sequence is over.

This all assumes your rain detection gear is hooked up to your computer and can launch programs when rain happens.

Thanks for the ideas.

Both are much more complex than a simple command line option to enable/disable shows from running.

I'll look into what I can do with these suggestions.

As for running a circuit on the controller to detect if a show should run kinda defeats the purpose of not wanting to running a channel if there's excessive rain.

Howard

Texan78 wrote:

This is what I did, there is another post with more details of what I have done but I can't find it, but here is the first one.

http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=16205&forum_id=72&highlight=Rain

Before Harrison confuses some people, it is 2.1.2 not 2.1.12

Good call - was quoting off the top of my head (not a good idea). But I got the 1 and 2 right.

Harrison

Yea I will give you that, you got the right numbers...LoL

I can just hear it now though, someone would be looking for 2.1.12 and it doesn't exist yet...LoL

On another note, I am trying to modify this to work with the sprinkler rain sensors so you don't get false positives. The good thing about using PWS though is you can set digital thresholds and it set it up to recheck the conditions. That way it can ether keep the display off or turn it back on based on the thresholds and a set time period. Where with sprinkler rain sensors once that cork is wet it expands and gets heavy it weights it down on the button that turns the sprinklers off. So until it drys and lightens up it will still close the circuit. So hopefully by 2009 I will have a app that will support this for those that don't have PWS. The introduction of triggers should help with this too.

HowardShank wrote:

Thanks for the ideas.

Both are much more complex than a simple command line option to enable/disable shows from running.

I'll look into what I can do with these suggestions.

As for running a circuit on the controller to detect if a show should run kinda defeats the purpose of not wanting to running a channel if there's excessive rain.

Howard

Steven's recomendation isn't that complicated once you get the scedule files set up. I discovered this feature last year when I as looking for an interactive option for LOR - http://lightorama.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15756&forum_id=72
A single copy command or batch file can copy the file when needed so it really is just a "simple command line".

Mark