Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help me out and cast a vote

Erik

I don't do my display for the fame/money I do it simply because I enjoy it, and if it brings joy and happiness to other then all the better.

If at all possible I would appreciate it if one of the moderators would please delete this thread.

Eric,
There is nothing wrong with getting attention for the display. Heck we all have egos that need stroked once in a while. I am one of the biggest attention whores around. I promote my display locally. Mainly because the more people that visit the more money raised for my local Kiwanis club which goes directly to needy families. So there is nothing wrong with self promotion. Heck even make a press release and send it to the media. I usually enter one contest a year and that is Dan's and mainly because there is no voting. This year I actually entered a local TV contest. I may win and I may not. But last year I did not enter because another LOR user entered and it was his first year using LOR. He won. I am entering the contest this year because there is no voting and I have told very few people about the contest.

The thing is local contests are just that local. We belong to a select group of several thousand and in my opinion asking for votes from our forums just taints the results of a local contest.

I love contests to be honest. I have tried to get our local paper to do one for years. I have even offered not to enter but be a judge yet they will not do it. They fail to see the advertising and community value behind the contest.

So enter away, promote yourself locally till the cows come home. Just when it comes to voting campaign locally for the local contests. Then take pride in the fact that Your local community thinks you are the best, and enjoy the real reason we are all supose to be doing this for. The kids, the smiles and to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Merry Christmas.

Gosh, after seeing all of you attack Erik in this way I’m really sort of ashamed to be part of this forum.

I live in Erik's local area and I don’t see a thing wrong with his asking people to help him out and consider voting for his display.

There are 24 other entries in the contest, vote for someone else if you don’t think he’s deserving or you want to level the playing field. In fact, if your ethical values don’t allow you to vote DON’T. But posting here, preaching to him with your holier than thou attitudes… I’m appalled. I would even dare say that there’s not a one of you on this board that wouldn’t ask friends and family to vote in a similar contest, no matter if they lived locally or not.

Do you have a right to your opinions?… of course. However, if you feel the overwhelming need to share your opinion and you just find it completly impossible to keep it to yourself, PM Erik. Let him know privately. But attacking him in public like this, (and please, don’t bother to tell me that you weren’t attacking and that you were just "sharing in 'love'") so close to the holiday that we all came together to celebrate in the first place??? I just don’t get it.

Guest wbottomley

I got a pm about it too.

Erik, nice display. I wish mine was as compact as yours but I have too much to cover right now.

I don't enter contest where others can vote for me. Only enter ones that are ran by the companies (LOR).

Robin & Evan have pretty much covered it.

Try this, go to the homepage of www.synchronizedchristmaslights.com and look on the right side under latest information.

There, I have some contest listed that people can enter in.

Great display and Merry Christmas!

Rick, you know what I like about this thread? We share valuable information. We express our opinions good and bad. We do not attack we just state the facts as we see them. We do not get our "wittle" feelings hurt because some disagrees with us. If people want that then there is a Politically Correct forum to go to which over the past several years people have been more concerned about taking everyone's ideas and giving a little credit on the forum but claiming as their own in their community.

So did I attack Eric? Nope. I just state it was not ethical in my opinion to solicit votes from around the country for a local contest. My offer still stands to anyone who thinks this is fair please let me come vote for your mayor, councilman or county commissioners. There is really no difference.

Jeff brought up a very valid point about word getting out about stacking the vote. That would really make Eric look bad in his community and it would give us all a bad name. Then I would be ashamed.

Just one more thing about voting and trying to bypass the cookies. If we do that for something as meaningless as a Christmas contest, what will we do for a national or state election if internet voting becomes a reality. Would you think that is fair?

Enjoy your lights, enjoy the people, enjoy the season. The contests will take care of themselves. Win or lose we are all winners for doing this.

Here's what I find unethical. That you guys would drag someone through the mud like this without even contacting him privately. And now you do the same to me because I have a differing opinion.

He's already asked that this thread be deleted but you're all so busy patting yourselves on the back that you failed to notice this or just let the thread die. So, if you're interested in letting it die... do so.

Listen Rick, I never take issues private. That was meant not only for Eric but for every other self centered me me me me person who reads it.

As far as deleting this thread goes it would serve no future purpose would it. See here there are adults who moderate and not kids who get their BVDs in a wad every time something is not positive, friendly, Christmas related or just laced with honey. I am a moderator on another forum and you almost have to put a gun to my head to get me to jerk something. Bottom line as long as you do not cuss then no problem in my book.

Oh and Rick, I made the mistake of actually sending a self-centered, egotistical jerk a private mail on another site and he actually copied and pasted it in the public section. The private mail was a response to his mail to me and now I am "History" on that site and my friends are classified as worshipers. Since that time the wireframe section has never been the same.

I am finished now.

Jeff,

It's just not you "Old Hats" that are offended, I can assure you. But I think a lot of newbies, like myself, might tend to sit back and let you old farts, I mean hats, do the heavy lifting once you get started on something.

George

• The topic was locked