Leaving lights on when no shows playing

tbernier

Rather than setting up my controller outside, where nobody really comes down my street, I've decided to create an indoor display using all of my family room christmas decorations, including the tree!! When everyone is over on Christmas Eve, they're in for a real treat when the room transforms into a muscical show!

However, when the controller is not connected to the PC and not in use during the week, is there any way to leave all 16 plugs connected to my controller and keep all the lights on? Currently, as soon as I end a show or disconnect the PC, the controller goes offline along with all the lights.

Any ideas, or do I really have to unplug everything and plug them in elsewhere until I'm ready to use the controller?

I'd suggest making a sequence (I call mine "all_on") 1 minute in length or whatever, and just have each channel turned on. Let that run whenever you want all your lights on, and when you're ready for a show you stop your "all_on" sequence and start your show sequence.

good luck!

medman2000

I haven't tried it yet, but if you run the hardware utility, there's a button called Standalone. It looks like you can download short animations into the controller's firmware. Don't know if you'd have to go back into the HU to disable the standalone sequence for PC control of the unit, though.

I run animation only and use the standalone feature. I am gone a lot and dont have the time to be sure the computer is acting right when i am away. I believe u can disable it from the HU. I am not at my computer right now that has the LOR software loaded on it to verify this.You definitely have to be at the HU to enable it.

To disable a standalone sequence you have to remove it from the controller with the tools in the HWU. Then cycle power on the controller.

Chuck

Thank you Chuck......you are correct, since I am not at my computer with S2 on it...I could not remember. I needed a memory jog.

Richard

Thanks everyone for your responses. I've explored the Standalone feature of the controller and everything indicates that it should work exactly as you are all stating, however I keep running into a size issue. The help file even offers information about keeping the size to a minimum, and offers suggestions, but I still can't seem to make it work. I've created the simplest of animated sequences where all it does is turn ON all 16 channels for 5 seconds (don't know how much simpler I can make it!). Yet, when I attempt to upload it to the controller, it tells me the size is too large. It says the Download size = 8 and Max Unit Load = -1 (I don't really understand these items).

Can anyone offer any assistance?

what type of controller are you using? I believe the standalone function will only work on the ctb16d/ showtime controllers.

I have a CTB16PC. The hardware utility seems to recognize the controller, it just doesn't want to accept any sequence in the Standalone portion of the utility.

tbernier wrote:

I have a CTB16PC. The hardware utility seems to recognize the controller, it just doesn't want to accept any sequence in the Standalone portion of the utility.

The CTB16PC has very, very little memory for storing a stand-a-alone sequence. (the fact that it can at all I think is an unintended side benefit).

Sometimes I'll use a simple animation (about 2k max I believe) for Halloween.

The 16D series will be required for any kind of serious stand-a-lone project.

• 5 months later...

This is my first year using LOR. I have the LOR1602W controller. I also want my lights on when my show isn't running. i tried the suggestions of creating an "all on" sequence. I works fine in the stand alone mode but the lights go off when the sequence finishes. I chose the "loop at the end" of the sequence and the lights continue to stay on and I couldn't turn the sequence off in the stand alone mode without clicking the "lights off" option. I'd like to be able to tell the sequence when to turn off but the "run during schedule" option is greyed out so I can't use that. I haven't created a show yet but I thought I read somewhere in the forum that there is an option to leave the lights on before and after the scheduled show. Although I consider myself a "redneck", I really hate to resort to the redneck option of "plugging...unplugging...plugging...unplugging", but can if I have to. :P

George Simmons

In the Show Editor, there's a check-box that will either turn used lights off at the end of a sequence or leave them on, depending on whether or not you check that box. If you create a sequence with all lights on and then uncheck the box, it should accomplish what you want. Good luck.