Light-O-Rama Forums

Lights turning off during show

bsuter

I have a slight problem. I have 32 lor system. During any different songs roof light channel(only 3 strands of mini lights) will turn off, and stay off until it is programed back on. this also happens to one of the blow up channel. this only happens when the song is ran through the show editor. if i run the squence editer with that they stay on like they i want them to. I dont whats wrong.

OK, I missed something, I have the same problem and I don't understand what you mean by varying the intensity from 99% to 100%. What does that do? The problem, as I see it, is that I fade up to 100% then keep the lights on at that level and then fade down. It appears that during the transitions from fade up to on, the computer misses the on signal and reads it as an off. Then it goes back on at the fade down transition.

If you start a play sequence in the editor using "play visible screen" and you start the play in the middle of an "on" section, the ligths won't go on till the next transition. I seem to have that type of issue. Can you explain the99% to 100% bit?

Bob, to help diagnose your problem:

Does this only happen with one sequence? Does is happen when controlling through the sequence editor or during a show?

The problem can be hardware (lights) or software (usually a channel conflict). Not sure how decreasing intensity to 99% would help either of these conditions.

IF you have a long event, such as an ON event that last a long time. Changing some of the cells to 99% and then back to 100% causes extra commands to be sent out and refreshes the controller so to speak

Chuck

iresq:

Not really sure about the multiple sequences. I know it is more obvious in one sequence that has long periods of the lights on.

It doesn't turn off while using the sequence editor. It only appears to do it during a show. I am fairly certain it is a software issue or programming. The reason I am so interested in this particular post is that they are talking about long periods of time that a channel dosen't change and the refresh rate. All the channels that seem to be missing are the ones that stay on for a long period. The channels that pop on and off seem to work fine. It happens when they are on for a longer period.

Like I mentioned. It appears that the "on" section of a "fade up" "on" "Fade down" gets missed by the controller.

Chuck:

Are you saying that the commands are only sent at transitions? and how do you know this. I'm not saying your wrong but it dosen't seem practicle especially in a fade up/down. The commands must constantly be sent out to alter the triac strength.

As I have said, that seems confusing and won't work but this is about the third post I have read that suggests it. So it must have some validity even if my pee sized brain don't get it. So for all that read this and are having the same problem I over the following suggestions that I have found from others throughout the forum and here:

1. Check that all controllers have both sides plugged into the same phase from your power system. My theorey on this is that the command may reach the processor on one phase and there is no power to the other side since it is 120 dergrees off from the first. This maybe a point of lock up. Dan has stated else-where that this may cause various problems.

2. If there are long "on" periods on any channels in a sequence, where the intensity is 100%, place a cell of 99% intensity every second or so to force the processor to send out more frequent commands.

3. Make sure (and double check this) make sure all channels are configured properly and that NO channels are partially configured.

Though I work out of town and I am unable to test these. They all seem to have worked for others.

Thanks everybody and I will try to poet results as I find them and if any one else has suggestions that I missed, please let me know.

I'm back, I tried the phase connections and it did nothing. I reset all the intensities to 1% variations every second or so but haven't run the show so I don't know if it worked. I will report that later.

While I was looking around, I found under edit/network preferences. a box that was checked automatically that reads "check here if you have old MC-16 channel contollers. I don't know what these are but I unchecked it because I believe I had a problem with it last year. Can anyone tell me what that check box does?

When setting intensity to 99% or 1%, does it need to be done on one channel for each unit you have something running full time on and which is causing problems or just one channel on one unit for the whole configuration?

I put the variances on every channel and I got no results. So I guess I don't know. I will try to increase the comm times under the preferences in the morning. I also unchecked the "check here if you have old MC-16 channel contollers" And I still have the lights coming off. I am out of ideas. Anyone got a suggestion.

Here is the 99%-100% deal.

If you have a channel that you keep on ALL THE TIME you need to vary the intensity. You do that by going to the tool buttons located on left side of sequence editor and then all the way to the right of the button bar. Then set it at 99%. Then go back to your channel that is on all the time. About 2-3 times per second click on the cell. Do a couple of seconds and then copy. Then do a multiple paste all the way to the end of the sequence. This will generate commands and prevent the sync. issue. I think it happens more on high channel systems.

I could really use some help, My light show is in a tailspin and the flames just started to peak through.I am going to crash and burn soon.

I did do the variation of intensity and it seem to have no effect. I also made sure all the controllers had both sides of the board on the same phase. However, I do have 112 channels and 7 controllers and that may have something to do with it ( I am also doing the show at 30 degrees below zero). I have also set my transmit times to maximum. I have a maximum of 100 ft of comm cables so I think I can get away with it. I have also made sure there are no channels with incomplete or duplicate configurations.

I noticed tonight that it may not be just the long "on" periods that are turning off. Sometimes it is the entire show pops off momentarily. I think it may be just more obvious when it is a long time frame. I did notice some shorter periods or bursts that are being missed also. It is definetly a systemic problem that is random and is not isolated to any particular channel.

Has anybody talked to LOR and asked about a software bug?

HELP ME!!!

SOS

It is a communication problem and that is the reason for the 99% thing. It will affect everything not just the constant on channels. Should have made that clear.

What I didn't ask was if you were running this on a laptop or a PC. Reason for my asking is that I was running it on a laptop (two years old). I started running it on my PC and have not had a single issue since.