Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Kit

friskybri

As I keep looking at the different controllers and planning my show I started with wanting to purchase 2 units. Now its up to 4 or 5. I see that the CTB16PC Kit is a cheaper option for me. I have soldered before so I should be able to do this. I was wondering if anyone made their own case or box to put these in. Also the power plugs seem to be overkill. Has anyone used spt2 cable from display and plugged directly into the card by using Female Quick disconnect terminals. This would lower the cost of having male and female plugs. I also seen a post that you can buy boxes for 8 dollars from here http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=201838 This would be a better option for me sense I am on a budget. Anyone have any pictures of their pc units. Would love to hear from a few people on this.

You could certainly mount a CBT16PC board in any box of your choosing. But, I'm not sure the 9 x 9 x 3 box you linked to is large enough.

I don't see any problem with making your own cords to plug directly into the board as long as the SPT2 you choose can handle the load.

I think your right on the box. My neighbor is a great carpenter I might have him make some boxes and paint them to look like Christmas boxes. That would make some nice decor in the display. Plus it would hide the controllers.

I use my own boxes for most of my controllers, and for cords I just use indoor extension cords, with the male plug chopped off.

-Tim

One issue is that the spade connections are not designed for an unlimited number of connection cycles. The parts start getting loose after a few cycles. If you do go this route, you might want to plan to store them still connected with the cords. Unfortunately, that gets bulky and heavy...

good call, Sense the female and mail connectors are so cheap. I guess making a female connector then a 6 inches long wire then to a male connector. This would then keep the spade on the contoller from getting loose and breaking off.

I think it's worth it to have standard edison outlets on your controllers. Makes it very easy to plug in a spare string of lights for testing or what not...

-Tim

Tim Fischer wrote:

I use my own boxes for most of my controllers, and for cords I just use indoor extension cords, with the male plug chopped off.

-Tim

I do this for all my lower powered controllers. I use those cable TV boxes available at YourBroadbandStove.com. And then I just grab 6' extension cords when they go on good sales. I bought ~125 from Lowes for ~$0.67 each when they had their "$10 off $25 purchase" deal.

-Jeff

Jeffrey
I do this for all my lower powered controllers. 

Those cords are typically rated to 1600 watts. You're only allowed 8 amps per channel (960 watts) so they should work for all controllers, for the output cords...

I use heavier cords for my input cords on most boxes, even though I typically don't load them up anywhere near the max.

-Tim

I like the lamp cords from lowe's with the 10 dollar off thing. I planned on purchasing the $8 duel cords from LOR. That part I didn't want to go cheap on but unless someone can come up with a better idea. I am game.

I found a place online that sold 4' 12 gauge three prong cords for ~$4.00 each. I bought 8 of them for all my input cords. The LOR ones are 14 gauge and work great too.

I had never really soldered before, although I am mechanically handy. I've put together 4 of the pc kits (I even had my 12 yr old daughter helping to solder the last 2 together!). No problems. Easy to do. I also use the boxes from the broadband store, but I use the 13 x 9 boxes. They need a little modification (very little) and work very well. As far as output cords, I happened to find a large box of 12' cords with green spt2 wire on sale at home depot for about $1.00 each. I cut the female ends off and used them on my controllers. I bought SPT2 female plugs from Action Lighting and SPT2 wire and made custom length extension cords. Keep your eyes open everywhere you go to find deals like that throughout the spring and summer.

• 2 months later...

I was just looking at the cases from the broadband store. they dropped the prices for kits. 9x9x3(some here has used is $6.70 less if you buy 5 or more. the 13x9x3 is $8.63. Last time I checked the 9x9x3 was 10 and the 13x9x3 was about 13 dollars. Now that I think of it i might just go with the http://www.yourbroadbandstore.com/product.php?pid=706098 Then I will have a few more inches of room in them.

Ya, someone posted up this store a few months ago and I think i saw the 12.25x12x5" box was dang close to 15 buck back then. And now they're less than 10 bucks. I decided back then I wanted the larger box for more room. I am not crazy about having Low Voltage cables laying within a mess of High Voltage cables (Cat5 / 110VAC). And about that same time, was reading threads were people were having noise problems. But then too, that might have been the CDI LEDs of 2008 causing the noise problems.

Anyway, leave me a few of them boxes. I would buy 5 but dont need and don't have room to store.

Max