Light-O-Rama Forums

Another Flickering Problem

Slider

I have lights on controller number 1 on steady at 100% and lights on controller's 3 and 4 chasing. The problem is that while the lights lights on controllers 3 and 4 are chasing the lights on controller 1 are flickering. As soon as the chase stops the flickering stops. The controllers are not pluged into the same circuit either.

Not sure what you mean by that.

The lights that are supposed to be steady are flickering like from 100% to 90% a few times a second just in the chase scean. The rest of the time they work fine.

Yes, that was one of the first things I tried.

I'm going to unplug controllers 3 and 4 tonight to see if it is a power issue since all my lights work out of the same electrical panel in the garage. It could be a bad breaker or something.

It kind of a weird issue. I'm not going to stress over it too much because it only does it on the sequence I play after the show is over for the night.

rwertz wrote:

Slider wrote:
it only does it on the sequence I play after the show is over for the night.

That sounds like a channel configuration issue in just that sequence.

I use the same channel configuration for every sequence. I import it when I start making the sequence. I will reimport it tonight on that sequence and let you know if that fixed it or not.

Ok, figured out where the flickering is coming from but not sure how to fix it.

The flickering is coming from my X10 system. The lights only flicker when my 3 porch lights that are X10 controlled come on at the end of the show. I turn the porch lights off and the flickering goes away. Any suggestions?

That’s a good catch on the porch lights.

Are your porch lights CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lights)? Those have been known to wreak havoc with LOR.

I think problems typically occur when the CFLs are either being controlled by LOR or on the same circuit breaker as one of the controllers. But even if that is not the case, I would try changing them out with normal bulbs (if they are CFLs).

rwertz wrote:

That’s a good catch on the porch lights.

Are your porch lights CFL (Compact Fluorescent Lights)? Those have been known to wreak havoc with LOR.

I think problems typically occur when the CFLs are either being controlled by LOR or on the same circuit breaker as one of the controllers. But even if that is not the case, I would try changing them out with normal bulbs (if they are CFLs).

Yes they are CFL. I was having my porch lights come on before the lights went off for the night so they would have time to warm up. I think I'll just program my X10 to not turn the porch lights on until after the lights are off. There will just be a dark period while the lights are warming up. I might even program LOR to leave a few of the christmas lights on all night.