Light-O-Rama Forums

Mitchell's Magic Christmas

Brian Mitchell

Brian:

How do you make the hoops in your video look like they are jumping. That is really cool. I would like to see how that is done.

Thanks

dreef

dreef,

Do a youtube search for leaping arches and you will get lots of videos on them and several howto videos.

Dennis,

Bernard was my very first coro project. So I don't have a howto. I recommend Marty Slack's howto on coro at www.christmasutah.com Pretty much everything I know about coro, I learned from his presentation.
My only coro tip is when pushing lights thru the coro, have them plugged in. That way if they go out, you know it was most likely the last bulb you put in.

The Merry Christmas sign was the second prop I ever built. It's probably 10 years old now. It's a 2x4 frame covered with 1/4 inch wire mesh like on rabbit cages. All the lights are attached with twist ties like on a bread wrapper. I am amazed that it has held up as well as it has. I have never had to replace a single tie although the paper part has worn off on many of them. None of the wires have broken.

Here are a couple more videos. These are older sequences that were just reworked for this year. I still have my two favorite songs for the season to edit. I was out taping them for the third time tonight trying to get some footage I'm happy with.

TSO Christmas Eve Sarajevo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnKeMmoeWP4

Bob Rivers Toy Sack

Here is also another new sequence. I didn't spend a lot of time on it because of a late start and know it still needs some more work for next year.
Judy Pancoast House on Christmas Street

Enjoy.

Thanks Robin,

I was watching your display today on the 2007 Holiday Lights DVD and then saw the video you just posted. I gotta ask. How many channels are you running? It looks like about 40 gazillion.

Brian Mitchell wrote:

The Merry Christmas sign was the second prop I ever built. It's probably 10 years old now. It's a 2x4 frame covered with 1/4 inch wire mesh like on rabbit cages. All the lights are attached with twist ties like on a bread wrapper. I am amazed that it has held up as well as it has. I have never had to replace a single tie although the paper part has worn off on many of them. None of the wires have broken.

Hey Brian,

So is the sign just totally made of lights? Or is it back lit? Sorry I'm just having a hard time picturing it. Could you take a day time picture of it???
I've been thinking of making a Sign like this for the last little while and I've been searching for ideas....
Thanks Brian
Evan