Light-O-Rama Forums

Firmware upgrade

jfelix

I have 8 controllers, 5 PC bords, 2 16D boards and an 8 chennel controller. I upgraded to the latest software yesterday. Show ran great. I need to upgrade the firmware. Can I do this as th econtrollers sit in the display or do I need to unplug them and do it 1 at a time. I have never done a firmware upgrade. Everything worked fine so i never messed with it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't NEED to upgrade the firmware unless you're going to be using the new features. Otherwise you can have sequences saved in the new version, but have the controllers on the old version.

I upgraded mine because I immediately thought of a use for the shimmer fade, but then I only have two controllers.

I can only speak to the PC controllers. I updated all of my controllers that are currently out in the display. You can only update them one at a time but you don't have to disconnect anything. Just search for your controllers via the HWU and update.

And David is correct. Unless you want the new functions, you don't have to update the firmware.

With the new HWU you can update the firmware in the controllers still in the network.

I was able to do several last night, though the one iDMX that is still running the old firmware is not working properly

You do not need to disconnect your controllers at all. When you click on "Firmware" in the HU, it will show you all the controllers connected to the network. There is an option in one of the boxes that states "Use selected controller only." Check that box and then one at a time, choose the different controllers and then update. It works great and I had no issues what so ever!