Light-O-Rama Forums

Any discount for 2 software licenses?

chowell

Yall don't make much sense!!!!!:?

How about WOW!! Thanks for allowing us to install S2 on up to 5 of my computers! Thats awsome!!!

Maybe garyfunk, and Jeff Millard would like to make monthly payments for the rest of us to put on up to 10 computers:shock:

Jeff Millard wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
Maybe Jeff Millard would like to make monthly payments for the rest of us to put on up to 10 computers:shock:

No, I don't!

Jeff

LOL!!!

Has a method for de-activating the software been thought of? Since having several computers in our house.. and knowing some may break down from time to time, especially with the HDD being mechanical, what if at the same time you wanted to upgrade your system, would this then go against your 5 activations for this one key? or could something in this situation be worked out??

jllracer55 wrote:

Has a method for de-activating the software been thought of?  Since having several computers in our house.. and knowing some may  break down from time to time, especially with the HDD  being mechanical, what if at the same time you wanted to upgrade your system, would this then go against your 5 activations for this one key?  or could something in this situation be worked out??

Yeah, this has to be built in somehow. For the product I develop, originally you had to call customer service for this, but later we added a "deactivate" right in the software, so in theory you could ping-pong one license between two machines constantly...

-Tim

Paul Roberson wrote:

How about WOW!! Thanks for allowing us to install S2 on up to 5 of my computers! Thats awsome!!!

Maybe garyfunk, and Jeff Millard would like to make monthly payments for the rest of us to put on up to 10 computers:shock:
Tell me about a setup that uses 10 computers.

No setup that I know of can use 10 computers, that would like be impossible? Unless you wanted to light up a whole town or something, then maybe? but still even then 2 computers could run that, im sure.

Tim Fischer wrote:

jllracer55 wrote:
Has a method for de-activating the software been thought of? Since having several computers in our house.. and knowing some may break down from time to time, especially with the HDD being mechanical, what if at the same time you wanted to upgrade your system, would this then go against your 5 activations for this one key? or could something in this situation be worked out??

Yeah, this has to be built in somehow. For the product I develop, originally you had to call customer service for this, but later we added a "deactivate" right in the software, so in theory you could ping-pong one license between two machines constantly...

-Tim
Thats good that they re-thought that, but what would you do in the case of a Hard drive crash where it could be unexpected? sure you get the blue screen signs and sometimes even sounds from the drive, but what if it just goes and you didn't get a chance to deactivate it? I am only mentioning these statements because my grandpa has recently began to help me with the sequencing of the songs since he is retired and needed something to occupy his time a little bit, but what if it were to crash on his or all 3 of mine? purchase a New license?..I guess just something else to throw out there im sure Dan and the LOR team can put something good together, they always do.

garyfunk wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:

You mean you don't have 10 computers?:?

Needing to put S2 on 10 computers makes as much sense as being allowed to put it on 5 computers, but instead of saying "wow!! thats awsome thanks" they say...."I would like to put it on two computers and pay extra for the rest"...;)

Paul Roberson wrote:

garyfunk wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

Needing to put S2 on 10 computers makes as much sense as being allowed to put it on 5 computers, but instead of saying "wow!! thats awsome thanks" they say...."I would like to put it on two computers and pay extra for the rest"...;)

Ahh, sarcasm. Now I get it.

I've been in the software business for some time, and found that licensing can be a headache if it's not done right.

Here's an industry secret: The purpose of protecting your software with a licensing system is to prevent casual theft, while allowing most legitimate users to use the software without a hassle, and keeping the calls to customer support to a minimum.

With any system, it's impossible to prevent your software from being stolen by all crackers. For an example, look at this site: http://golsoftware.com/. That looks like a legitimate site, right? Yes, you can buy the software listed at that site at steep discounts, but every title they sell is stolen. The site is run out of the Russian Federation, where the laws against this kind of thing don't really exist. Most of the licensing schemes in the software they sell were hacked by various Russian hackers.

So, the purpose of a licensing system is to prevent casual sharing of the software, which normally happens all the time. You know, someone contacts you and asks what you're using, you say "try LOR" and they ask you for a download... I know, none of the group that signs into this forum does that, but there are more out there.

So you provide a system that works for most people, and have a workaround for the minority that has problems. One example of a minority that will have problems is someone who buys a new computer every year (or 6 months), and installs the software again. So, they run out of license activations, but here's a secret: When these legitimate users contact customer support, and customer support promptly gives them more license activations, the customer is happy with the company. And of course, the user who has a casually stolen copy of the software won't contact customer support. Usually. If they do, then they can often be persuaded to purchase a legitimate copy.

And someone asks: "Why not have an automated de-activation system?"

The reason is this: That's the same thing as having a license with unlimited activations. Why? Backups. Say you activate the license; backup your computer; de-activate your license; then restore your computer from the backup. Now you can activate that license on a second computer and have 2 activations for the price of one without contacting the company. The better answer: Require the user to contact customer support. It doesn't happen that often, and see above about happy customers.

garyfunk wrote:

Paul Roberson wrote:
garyfunk wrote:
Paul Roberson wrote:

Needing to put S2 on 10 computers makes as much sense as being allowed to put it on 5 computers, but instead of saying "wow!! thats awsome thanks" they say...."I would like to put it on two computers and pay extra for the rest"...:D

Ahh, sarcasm. Now I get it.

LOL!! Sorry my sarcasm did not come across in my typing.:D

Steven wrote:

I've been in the software business for some time, and found that licensing can be a headache if it's not done right.

Here's an industry secret: The purpose of protecting your software with a licensing system is to prevent casual theft, while allowing most legitimate users to use the software without a hassle, and keeping the calls to customer support to a minimum.

With any system, it's impossible to prevent your software from being stolen by all crackers. For an example, look at this site: http://golsoftware.com/. That looks like a legitimate site, right? Yes, you can buy the software listed at that site at steep discounts, but every title they sell is stolen. The site is run out of the Russian Federation, where the laws against this kind of thing don't really exist. Most of the licensing schemes in the software they sell were hacked by various Russian hackers.

So, the purpose of a licensing system is to prevent casual sharing of the software, which normally happens all the time. You know, someone contacts you and asks what you're using, you say "try LOR" and they ask you for a download... I know, none of the group that signs into this forum does that, but there are more out there.

So you provide a system that works for most people, and have a workaround for the minority that has problems. One example of a minority that will have problems is someone who buys a new computer every year (or 6 months), and installs the software again. So, they run out of license activations, but here's a secret: When these legitimate users contact customer support, and customer support promptly gives them more license activations, the customer is happy with the company. And of course, the user who has a casually stolen copy of the software won't contact customer support. Usually. If they do, then they can often be persuaded to purchase a legitimate copy.

And someone asks: "Why not have an automated de-activation system?"

The reason is this: That's the same thing as having a license with unlimited activations. Why? Backups. Say you activate the license; backup your computer; de-activate your license; then restore your computer from the backup. Now you can activate that license on a second computer and have 2 activations for the price of one without contacting the company. The better answer: Require the user to contact customer support. It doesn't happen that often, and see above about happy customers.

Amen, you are spot on...